Huel bars for long backpacking trips?

No joke, is it possible to eat the powder dry? Wash it down with water? Souds revolting and needs must

I tried that a few times, itā€™s quite difficult. Tasty, but pasty.

Is it Cornish?

1 Like

I think I might try that tomorrow morning. Never tried powder neat, except off my finger tips. Canā€™t imagine doing that for 3000 calories per day over a few weeksā€¦

:laughing:
ā€˜paste-yā€™.

thoā€™ a Huel pasty would be a thing of beauty. :bulb:
ā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s about time the NPD pulled their fingers out and brought out some new products.

2 Likes

Super-concentrated Huel-in-a-tube? Spread it on toast. Or just suck it up. Like RTD but ā€˜RTSā€™. :thinking:

Iā€™m a great fan of tartex pate. A version of that would be great.

Could have been 11, I canā€™t remember. No side effects on the day, but a couple of days later a house across the road burned down. Might be a coincidence but I wonā€™t repeat the experiment in a hurry.

Iā€™m sure there was some warning or recommendation on the regular bars. That was the only reason I ate so many. If there was no risk after all, then Iā€™m not a fearless test pilot, Iā€™m just a daft git. Impossible!

4 Likes

Welcome back David. Missed your wit. :upside_down_face::full_moon_with_face:

1 Like

Yay @David Welcome back!

1 Like

Could you use a small amount of hot water or will you not have access to that? You could buy the RTD bottles in retailers as you work your way up the country, but I know that doesnā€™t give you a guaranteed food supply so itā€™s not ideal.

Incredible, I nearly forgot about this!

Sounds like an amazing trip!

Iā€™ve been using Huel for hiking and every day life for 2,5 years. Iā€™m really happy with it for both situations. But lets focus on trail, since itā€™s similar to cycling. So let me first address your concern of washing. Itā€™s really easy, just take the water and wash away from the stream so it filters into the ground. I donā€™t use any dish soap, but if you do of course use something thatā€™s not harmful for the environment. Also, before I wash, I first try my best to get every little bit of powder down my stomach, since every gram of calories count when you carry it on your back. I do this by adding a tiny bit of water and scraping as much as I can out (yes, Iā€™m hiker trash :stuck_out_tongue: ).

My main product on hike is Black Edition, but I eat on average 2 bars per day, and maybe on average 3-4 Hot & Savory per week. Iā€™ve only brought 3.1 bars on hikes so far, Iā€™m concerned the protein bars might melt, and also might be more affected by cold weather as well. This summer I was hiking for 4 weeks in the Norwegian mountains. I brought a small gas canister and pocket size stove. Of course it adds weight (and space!), and I am seriously considering leaving it at home. But when the temperature can drop bellow freezing even in summer itā€™s comforting to be able to get a hot drink or meal. Overall thou I really like the Black Edition when hiking, because when hiking long days like I do itā€™s a lot easier to drink then to eat something hot.

My whole kitchen setup with stove, gas, flint & steel, pot, spoon weights 420 gram, and I would have to bring either a shaker or pot and spoon regardless, and I would bring flint & steel as well, so weight saving would be around 300g if I left the stove and gas (gas canister weight 97g+100g fuel when itā€™s full).

To save on weight this summer I left the shaker at home. So instead of shaking I had to stir the Black Edition in the pot, and since the pot is quite small I had to repeat the process twice to get a good size meal. For me the weight saving was worth it, but the shaker is convenient (and stylish!). The new tritan shaker is quite heavy at 173 gram thou, but itā€™s hard to compare it with my small 55g pot with a 21g lid. :slight_smile:

As for charging it depends on your needs, but when cycling itā€™s never far to get to a restaurant or some public place where you can charge once in a while. I use a Nitcore NB20000 which Iā€™m really happy with along with a Baseus GaN2 PRO 65W charger to be able to charge all my devices quick in case I only have a short time to charge at a restaurant or similar. Solar panels isnā€™t an option for me, theyā€™re too heavy and when constantly on the move itā€™s hard to get good effect out of them. If you stay longer in camp maybe, but I wouldnā€™t recommend them. Oh, and a pro tip is to not save weight on short cables, itā€™s really annoying if you have to try to balance your device or even have it hanging in mid air!

2 Likes

Tried it, it all gets stuck to every part of your mouth, the roof, the teeth, the gums, everything, it was horrible, tasted alright, but was a chore to get off, have to brush my teeth again now.

Thank you for all that information!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.