Huel bars review

Thanks for posting this. I shall order some to try now!

Particularly this:

Would you say that the bars have the same lack of moreish qualities as the powder? I find that to be a strong positive of Huel so far.

Just tried my first bar today, I actually really like it. The only problem for me is that it’s quite dry, I’m not sure I could eat these without having a drink nearby (although maybe that’s a good thing!).

But definitely a great addition to the lineup for when I don’t have the space to carry a shaker or when I need some quick calories on the run. Great work!

2 Likes

I would say that’s true, the bar was surprisingly filling. It’s pleasant enough that you don’t mind eating it, but not so good that you’ll want to eat more when you’re done

2 Likes

To a certain degree. It’s filling enough that I don’t feel the need to eat more than one, and it doesn’t seem to have any addictive properties. I don’t think I’ll have any issues with it disrupting my diet. But your mileage may vary, depending on your personality. At the very least it would be better for you to be gorging yourself on this than pretty much any other solid food I can think of.

1 Like

I would second that. Carb Killa bars almost taste too good (as I said above, it’s much like eating a chocolate bar) and it’s certainly easy to wolf down a few at once if the mood takes you. The Huel bars are enjoyable but as they are not overly sweet and quite “basic” in taste and texture, I think it’s unlikely I would end up over-indulging with them.

2 Likes

Yes, that “pleasant enough but not too pleasant” spot is a winner in my experience.

Considering I have the will power of a sprout when it comes to having just a little bit more if something tastes very very good it sounds like the bars will be equally useful!

1 Like

Mine arrived this morning. Having eaten quite a lot of twennybars I was expecting something fairly similar (albeit with better/different composition) and I was quite surprised when I opened the first pack and took a bite.

My first bite felt incredibly dry and if I’m completely honest I wasn’t convinced I’d made the right decision to get 28 of them but I persevered and by the time I’d finished one bar I surprised myself by how much I enjoyed it.

The cacao felt a bit subtle at first but it’s actually quite potent after a few bites. Tastes ‘real’ and not at all artificial. They’re definitely on the dry end of things compared to a twennybar, but I think you’ve got the dry/moist balance absolutely perfect in terms of the nutrition.

Sweetness, it doesn’t taste sweet to me at all. Nothing like the sweetness of twennybars. Definitely agree with the ‘pleasant enough’ comment above. I’m liking it, definitely going into my daily nutritional rotation.

Also shared my review over here

2 Likes

There is a new Joylent Vanilla bar with just over 5 percent sugar. They somehow seem to have made it work. Wondering about comparisons.

Looking at the ingredients list, as well as generally not being quite as minimal as the Huel bars (IMO), it also looks like most of the protein comes from soy… which is something I personally avoid (though might not be a concern for others, admittedly).

They also are not vegan - which is a big plus of Huel (both the powder and the bars) for me. I’m not vegan (or indeed vegetarian), but given the environmental impact of animal agriculture I like the fact that by using Huel a reasonable proportion of my diet is vegan with no effort.

5 Likes

Does anyone else get flatulence from eating the bars?

No, but I can buy you a kite for Christmas.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been having it all day. It’s about the same as when I started on Huel.

The Twenny bars are exactly what I was hoping for about 10 quid a day for 2000 calories, but I’ve no trust in Soylent after all the stuff I’ve heard on here

What have you heard?

Just to clarify in case this wasn’t a typo, Twennybars are a product from Joylent, not Soylent, so if the problems you’ve heard of are related to the various reports of sickness from Soylent products, Twennybars won’t share the same issue.

Probably the news that was actually in national media about people being sick after eating their bars…thought to be due to algal flour.

1 Like

Ahh, I heard about people being sick. Didn’t know it was algal flour. If anyone offers me algal flour in the future I will politely decline.

1 Like

Adding a positive vote for the Huel bars. First eaten today, very pleasantly surprised. Yes, it would be great if they could have a bit less sugar. And for me - if you’re taking requests, Huel people? - I’d love it if they were closer to, or matching Huel itself for protein. As a cookery-averse gym-going vegetarian, trying to get enough protein has been the bane of my life ,and Huel has been a gamechanger - the bars are still good and high, but not up to the powder levels (yet?).

Still, all that said, they’re more than edible, good texture, and so much more convenient. Frankly one reason I hope you’re able to bring down the price is that if you can, I’ll probably end up deferring to them a lot. (Amazing and embarrassing how spoilt I’ve got by Huel - now even just pouring water into a jug and pressing the button on a blender sometimes feels like a faff now. Who has time for that now there’s a bar…?)

4 Likes

Haha I agree with that completely. It’s just taken me at least one minute to make two Huel shakes for tomorrow, what a faff :wink:

3 Likes

Not tried huel bars yet but deffo get flatulence from twennybars even after consuming all the 150-piece batch. No issues whatsoever with unlimited amounts of Huel or Joylent powders even from day one.