Huel constipation - Fortnightly 'blow outs' (graphic)

Another thing worth looking into is whether you are deficient in one or more nutrients. Even though Huel contains the standard recommended amounts for all nutrients, these amounts are calculated to prevent the average person from getting ill. People are individuals, and some people need more of some nutrients.

The symptom for deficiency of some nutrients includes constipation. These include Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, and Magnesium. The owner of a health shop once told me that many people struggle to absorb B12 properly in the digestive system, so taking sublingual B12 can be helpful for some people.

Another recommendation: eat a few Huel bars. They definitely make me go. I think itā€™s the polydextrose.

If all else fails, get some Mag07 pills. Itā€™s a special form of magnesium that increases the water content of your stools. Take 5 of those each day and you almost certainly wonā€™t have any problem going.

1 Like

Exactly, that was my thought. Iā€™m going to read into it a little more, if something specific comes up, Iā€™ll let you know.
Same problem with smoothies btw, apart from not filling you up as well as if you would eat a kilo of fruit, itā€™s also rushing through and as the first, oral steps of digestion are ā€œjumpedā€, some of the good stuff might be lostā€¦

1 Like

Good stuff. The smoothie example is a good one, and is one that jumped out at me as pretty similar. Too much nutrition hitting the digestive system too quickly canā€™t be a good thing.

My question is whether consuming Huel after something solid which has already stimulated the necessary hormones and enzymes is more beneficial than drinking Huel straight off the bat with no stimulation. Further to this, I wonder if in this respect, the Huel bar is more efficientā€¦

Apologies for bumping this after so long - but your symptoms are so similar to mine it is uncanny. Iā€™ve been having bloated, backed-up feelings in my stomach for some time now, together with bowel movements as you describe. Iā€™ve been to my GP and am awaiting the results of stool samples.

Since you posted this back in 2017, Iā€™d be curious to hear what has happened since? Have you been able to resolve the problem? Are you still taking Huel?

Man GPs are such heroes that is one job I could not do.

Also good luck with everything mark

Still drink Huel every day Iā€™m at home, probably counts for 80% nutrition. Other 20% is maybe chicken, bacon, eggs etc for the taste and texture contributing to my sanity.

I still get this symptom if I consume Huel as 100% of my diet. I donā€™t know why, nor do @RebeccaOfficialHuel or @JamesCollier from Huel HQ. Remains a total mystery unfortunately!

Sorry I canā€™t be of more help.

One thing that caused it a much larger extent was drinking it extremely thick.

Show offā€¦

4 Likes

The fibre profile should mean constipation isnā€™t a problem. Just make sure youā€™re having plenty of fluid each day, too.

Itā€™s not GPs who analyse samples @RyanT - they get sent to a lab yā€™know

1 Like

Nurses deal with all sorts of samples. Get shat on, peeā€™d on, vomited on, snotted on, etc etc :woman_health_worker: (she says from experience) :wink:

6 Likes

Nursingā€¦ now thatā€™s a heroā€™s job

4 Likes

LOL mostly unsung ones :grin:

2 Likes

Hi @EmG. Welcome to this mad house. Do you work in a lab then?

Hi @Bee !
I have worked in a lab many years ago and have analysed many a stool sample :joy:
It actually wasnā€™t bad at all, in a lab environment with protective clothing and all the equipment - you analyse all sorts of wierd and wonderful things and donā€™t need a strong stomach at all. All the samples come ready and neat in little bottles!
Getting covered in it without warning whilst nursing in a hospital, well that takes a strong constitution lol

5 Likes

Thought you must have :smile: Iā€™ve taken many a sample to the lab for technicians like yourself to analyse. The thought of dealing with all those bodily fluids (especially coughed up, vomited or sneezed out) nearly put me off nursing to start with, but itā€™s something you get used to after a while :nauseated_face::laughing:

4 Likes

Wow, this thread really delivers.

Since this thread has been revived, I might mention that I have just 2 scoops in 700 ml, drunk slowly. I do wonder how people who have it much thicker than that manage with their digestion, particularly those who just ā€œchugā€ it down.

1 Like

My bowels are perfectly normal Iā€™ll have you know @Africorn (still a bit farty though :nauseated_face: :laughing:) :sunglasses:
76g in 100ml almond milk/350ml water per shake :grin:
I think itā€™s the granola wot does it LOL

2 Likes

@Africorn seen your wondering :smiley: I have 125g of Huel in 450mgs of water and my bowels work
fine :smiley: I do take my time drinking it though

1 Like

I have 171g (4,5 scp) on 700ml water, do this 4 times a day and usually

due to restricted time to eat/drink my Huel.

Other than some farts, Iā€™m all fine actually :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes