Huel vs. Nano: Yuck!

I recently ordered a trial pack of Nano which arrived today, so I thought I would do a first impression review.

Good Points

• Individual bags for each meal.
  • No fluoride.
  • No added salt.
  • Free delivery.
  • Information booklet.

Bad Points

There’s only one bad point, but it’s a big one. The taste. Urgh! Sorry, it’s not nice. It tastes like vanilla, but a different type of vanilla to Huel. It’s sickly sweet, but not really in the pleasant way that Huel v1.0 was. There’s this horrible sickly taste in there. It’s hard to describe, but I can even smell it when I sniff it from the shaker, and it makes me not want to drink it.

£29.20 this cost me (33 Euros). I’m going to email them to see if they will refund me. Otherwise I’ll just have to hold my nose and chuck it down my neck.

Seriously, it makes me appreciate Huel, and I’m not just saying that because I’m on the Huel forum.

2 Likes

I find it harsh that there’s people who consider unnecessary packaging (individual meal bags) as a positive thing. Makes me hopeless about the future of our society :frowning:

I would not only see this individual packaging as a downside but I’d probably just not buy the product as instead of having a view on “solving the food problem” it’s not making it much better. Part of the main point of Soylent was reducing the amount of waste we produce while preparing food.

4 Likes

Good point, I know what you mean. Really I was just looking for anything positive I could say about it, even though that wasn’t anything particularly special. Actually, I have no problem with the big Huel bags.

Good luck with the refunds, they have never answered any of my emails or inquiries.

I agree with the taste, it’s just quite horrible and I don’t really trust their nutrition information as the company seems to be quite shady.

1 Like

I do like the idea of the individual packaging, I have a couple of meals in the drawer at work, gives me the peace of mind.

Nano, oh well😎

I totally agree with those who say individual bags is over consumerism and wasteful. Besides, if you really want individual bags, you might also want to choose exactly how much you have in each bag, and not have someone else decide for you. Then you can buy a big bumper pack of small, light weight zip lock sandwich bags, and fill dozens of them up with your chosen amount of Huel.

Just reading this thread-a good way of making Huel portable in individual portions without having to use disposable plastic bags each day is to use baby formula portion containers-you can get them with different numbers of sections & you and chuck them in the dishwasher!

Posted this in a different thread; it’s relevant here also. These are available on Amazon or eBay and can squeeze in 100g of powder.
Very useful.

3 Likes

They can be had here too - http://www.myprotein.com/protein-accessories/myprotein-powertower/10605622.html.

1 Like

No reply from my email to Nano, so time to try the PayPal Resolution Centre…

UPDATE

No luck with PayPal. They took Nano’s side. Looks like I’ll just have to hold my nose and down it. I’m not saying it’s the most disgusting thing I’ve put in my mouth, but I’m really not keen on that sickly taste.

Have a bunch of Nano packs myself. It’s like drinking icecream. Pure vanilla.

Even with 10% Nano to 90% Huel it overpowers everything.

Happy I just ordered a taster pack.

And this is version 2! How can it be so disgusting on version 2?

Huel was 10 times nicer on version 1…

1 Like

How much Huel can you fit in the baby formula containers? I looked at them but they didn’t look big enough to hold a 125g portion (which is what I would want to carry in each little tub).

Nano also appears to be vegetarian and not vegan like they advertise. Their vitamin D3 is from vegetarian source according to their fact sheet and it would be made from sheep’s wool.

https://www.eatnano.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Nano-nutritional-handbook-1.pdf

1 Like

Huel v2.1 is now available for purchase.

This version has had sodium fluoride removed. The salt is at the same level since we reduced it in September.