Hydration from Huel

Quick question here, I have an Apple Shorctus command on my phone for all of my various Huel flavours / products. It adds to the Health app things like calories, nutrition and vitamins (a LOT of them) with the small variances for each flavour and product.

In terms of water content, can we realistically expect Huel shakes to contribute toward our water intake? As once mixed, it’s more of a thick food than a liquid like runny water - if I’m making sense.

I reckon it counts, but 400ml of water, maybe not once it’s mixed. Is there any scientific way to calculate how much it contributes to hydration as if applicable, I’d love to add it to my shortcuts as I also track my water intake with one of those smart Hidrate Spark water bottles.

thanks!

I doubt that you could consider it as part of your hydration - as fibre, protein, sugar alcohols etc all contribute toward dehydration, so you need to consume plenty of water in addition to your huel shakes throughout the day,

1 Like

Are you tracking water for any reason other than to make sure you have enough?

No, just to make sure I have enough. No medical condition or training that needs it.

I am trying to get on top of horrible migraines as of June, so better sleep, energy, exercise and hydration that I’m tracking, might help identify any triggers

In that case, whilst it is technically possible it’s not REALLY possible to have too much water so ignore the intake from Huel and just track what you actually drink?

That’s what I do currently. Through that Hidrate Spark bottle, and some Siri Shortcuts on my phone to add regular drinks like coffee or AZ Vitamins etc.

I was just wondering if Huel (being a shake) contributed a bit toward it.

I know the Hidrate Spark app will include buttons for coffee / tea, but these contribute less than an equivalent mug of water toward hydration. Granted, they’re actual drinks and watery unlike our Huel shakes.

I ask all these questions here because it can validate what I think. I’m no nutritionist but very interested in better tracking / making sure I am doing enough for my body.

Typically, we get 20% of our daily fluid intake through foods, but this doesn’t mean we need to drink less water. Take soup as an example - while this is a liquid, and will therefore have hydrating properties, we wouldn’t count this towards our fluid intake. We feel the same should be applicable to Huel - while the water added to Huel technically counts towards hydration, continue to drink plenty of fluids along this as you would with any other meal.

2 Likes

Yeahz, that’s precisely why I said to @Tristan elsewhere that Huel RTD as a Sainsbury’s meal deal would still have some liquid refreshment alongside.

1 Like

It’s the high fibre isn’t it? That does something to how our bodies use the liquid content of huel and so people get headaches if they assume huel is 1:1 with water?

Definitely agree @hunzas. I tend to drink (and recommend drinking) more water when I’m eating complete foods, but I’ll always still see them as drinks.

Spade/spade, tomato/potato :wink:

1 Like

yes - fibre draws in and retains water as part of its digestion process.

Would you be able to share these???

1 Like

Yes!!!

Spent the last two hours tonight updating them. The Powder ones are good to go.

I’m re-working the Hot & Savoury ones so that when you tap it asks: 1 or 2 scoops.

As you can imagine, it’s about 31 individual health samples to log each nutrition category … the vitamins are the killer. There are so many.

I will find a way to share

1 Like

Try this; Shortcuts

Let me know if there is any issues. BTW, if you’re downloading these from the web always have a quick look through and make sure nothing weird is going on. In this case, it’s just a bunch of ‘log health samples’ repeated.

If this works, I’ll find a better way to share with the whole forum.

I actually think it’d be great to request official shortcuts from Huel that could be downloaded officially :eyes::eyes:

1 Like

This is great! Thank you :slight_smile: I have tried following shortcuts tutorials on youtube etc but my head just doesn’t work that way.

Just an FYI, I was only able to see/download the Madras one. I’m not sure if you linked to others?

Maybe instead of 1 or 2 scoops, there could be a prompt to add in how many scoops?

I suppose the next level would be - and I dont know if this is possible - you select the shortcut, then go through menus, like this:

Huel

• Black
    • Banana
    • Vanilla
      -H&S
    • Madras
    • mac and Cheese
  • White
    • Chocolate
    • Strawberries

Then
‘number of scoops’ and we select.

I obviously didnt include all the options, this is just to give you an idea.

If you were keen on doing something like that (if shortcuts allows) I’d gladly chuck a bit of cash towards an organisation you support :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, I’m glad you got it. It was only Madras - just to see if it worked.

So, I initially had one shortcut. When it ran, it asked which flavour of powder. I intended to add them all! However… the Shortcuts app struggled with the 31 or so individual food groups / vitamins in Huel. When I added two flavours (over 60) not only is it hard to navigate, but it started lagging and mixing up, and not accepting my values (e.g. I’d update 1g salt to 1.1g and when I scrolled back past it, it was back to 1g). It was too unreliable and impossible to get them all.

Then recently I ran into the issue of having 3 scoops of hot and savoury so my single 2 scoop button wasn’t much use. I set up a simple ‘Add one off food’. It asks for calories, carbs, fat, sat fat, sugar, salt etc.

Note, I noticed I forgot to add the Saturated Fat value on any of my Huel shortcuts…

I might actually set these up on Fiverr or something - so people could download them and possibly add a donation - optional. Or some other platform that safely allows the downloads.

I think in the future your idea will be possible. But today Shortcuts is pretty limited in terms of a tonne of parameters.

I wanted to make a single entry that would let me input scoops as a number and it would multiply, but personally I’m not that advanced at it either - YET

1 Like

If you end up doing this, please update me! I’ll be first in line :slight_smile:
Thanks for explaining it all, Shortcuts looks great and people have done some very cool stuff, but if you’re not minded tht way, it’s hard!

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Em

1 Like