Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

Hi all,

Ive been on and off Huel over the last 5 years or so. It’s been a fantastic product that has let me accomplish weight loss goals.

However a few years ago I was diagnosed with a genetically inherited heart condition called Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. In essence my heart septal wall is thicker than it should be on one side. Unfortunately the side effects over the last few years have gotten worse over time & now i can go from feeling like normal healthy 27 year old, to having to stop twice going up the stairs as I’m completely breathless. Eating a meal is the sole cause for this- blood flowing to my digestive system causes the obstruction in my heart to worsen, and thus I become an old man.

I’ve decided to give Huel a go again. Not only because over the last few years I’ve put on an incredible amount of weight, but because working full time while fasting (the only way to get the job done without puffing out my arse) is just not enjoyable, and I’m tired of it.
I’m also tired of feeling like crap eating solid food.

My plan is to stick to the Huel shakes (the ones that come prebottled- because they taste amazing, and it’s really convenient for work) during the week while working, and then solid foods at the weekend when I can sit on the sofa and do nothing.

While testing the shakes, to see if they have the same affect on me as solid foods, they don’t. They don’t impact me at all, which is amazing, because even sniffing a salad can make me feel breathless.

I’m just wondering if anyone else has been using Huel for essentially a medical purpose? I just want to be able to function as a 27 year old should, rather than having to literally starve myself to get stuff done like chores, or work etc.

Would be nice to see if anyone else on here suffers with HCM as well, and is using Huel for similar purposes.

Cheers,

Liam

Hey Liam! It sounds like Huel is helping you a great deal. Nice one dude!! :ok_hand:t2: I agree the RTDs are very creamy, smooth and most importantly T H I C C :heart_eyes:

I’ve found if you use Soya Greek Yoghurt with the right amount of water for the powder versions you can achieve similar results ~ have a little experiment with that if you like!

There are a few people on here that have used Huel alongside there medical needs and have said it’s been beneficial for various reasons. Here’s a post of somebody’s experience with Huel & Diverticulitis which you may find helpful to read :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Liam

Thanks for your post and great to hear that Huel RTD has been a great help for you. As we use some oils in the RTD formula, these require less effort for the digestive system to digest per calorie, so this maybe why you’re finding them preferable.

:slightly_smiling_face: