I Finally Cracked it!

After years of my wife turning up her nose at Huel, I finally got her into it. She would almost gag at just smelling it and shake her head at this unfood like choice
Now she has a daily Huel. Currently Strawberries and Cream although she liked the taste of the salted caramel I had today. She picked a few flavours she wanted to try so I ordered those too.

Next mission H&S

3 Likes

It’s funny how people can turn their noses up at the very idea of it. I offer even just a taste and get a flat refusal on principle. Can’t understand it!
It’s like ‘no, I don’t want to try it even once… I might get hooked.’ :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

The same goes for food:

• “Wanna try it?”
  • “No thanks”
  • “Why not? You might like it”
  • “I don’t”
  • “Have you tried it?”
  • “No, never”

:man_shrugging:t3:

Yes indeed, but seems that with Huel it’s maybe even more basic than that. Like people think it’s a rejection of normality (it’s food Jim, but not as we know it). Like they’d be crossing over to the dark side. They believe in ‘food’ (‘I just couldn’t live without it!’) - so can’t risk getting involved.
If I offered them a milkshake they’d be all over it, vegan or not, but a whole meal in liquid form ??!? That freaks them out.

2 Likes

Personally – I see the dynamic of how tastes in food have changed with the times. People’s tastes always used to be shaped by need and experience. When you were a kid, you craved sugars and fats to feed your insatiable need for energy and recoiled in horror and veggies and other ‘healthy’ options. Tastes buds change with time so while broccoli was the spawn of Satan in your youth, you actually quite liked it in later life for example. Now, it seems people’s taste is just as equally influenced by, well, influencers. We rely on online reviews and opinions as gospel without taking the chance of trying it ourselves.

So while a journalist or YouTube blogger might post a ‘I survived (what a hero) on Huel for a week, here’s what happened’ type piece – people will take the usually negative feedback as gospel. Similarly, if they (hypothetically) saw a candid shot of their favourite celeb chugging a bottle of RTD for lunch on a park bench somewhere – then that would be seen as a positive affirmation of the product.

It’s kind of strange but I find that people will definitely allow the experience of others to shape an opinion rather than forming their own when it comes to food.

3 Likes

yaaaaas, this is great to hear, grind 'em down :laughing: no I’m glad she saw the benefits and we’ve eventually made a flavour she can get on board with!

So so true. Like it goes against everything they stand for in the world. Bro it’s literally just some beige powder, chill ok?

4 Likes

I wonder if Huel has ever considered sports sponsorship, re Phil’s mention there of influencers and celebs, and the idea that Huel-sceptics might be more willing to try it out if there was more exposure to the name, and the logo was more familiar in the public eye.

I’m seeing some Tour de France coverage on TV just now and thinking how eye-opening it’d be to see a team there with Huel logos. :biking_man: :man_biking: :biking_woman: Cycling commentators often refer to riders fuelling themselves, seems Huel would be a perfect fit for that.

Bet it’s expensive tho’. !

Haha, so true. That’s my wife pretty much in a nutshell.
I’m glad she finally gave it a real shot!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.