I plan to lose 35 kg in 6 months, starting from today. I need your advice

Well basically I currently weight 120 kg and want to weight 85kg or close to it. I used to weight 90kg (2016) but due to anti depressants I gained over 30kg. I am 185 cm tall. I got 4 bags of huel delivered today. I also joined my local gym and swimming pool. I plan to exercise at least 3-4 days a week and maybe rest 2-3 days. In terms of scoops should I go for 3 scoops twice a day or 2 scoops three times a day.

Many thanks

4 Likes

Good luck, but that’s a lot to loose in 6 months but not impossible. I my self have lost 17 kg in the last 3 month although I originally weight 155kg. if you’re going to the gym you should look to loose fat and gain muscle. But keep in mind that in 6 months you will realistically loose no more then 27kg without putting you’re health at risk e.g. 1kg a week.

When it comes to huel if you’re calorie counting make sure you weight out the huel as a scoop can very between 30g and 50g.

3 Likes

Most I’ve ever succeeded in losing was 20kg in 4 months. I wouldn’t say 35kg in 6 is impossible but it’ll be bloody hard.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Keep us updated on your progress, it’s a monster feat! Good luck’ :sunglasses::muscle:

2 Likes

Welcome aboard!

From personal experience only (and I judge no-one):

Be consistent, don’t try too much too soon, aim to lose 1kg and then when that’s lost, aim to loose another 1kg and repeat.
Keep hydrated.
Keep moving a bit every day and increase that movement (exercise, swimming, yoga or whatever floats your boat) but do what makes you happy, nothing worse than not enjoying the gym.
Track your exercise calories if you’ve a smart watch - guessing is really hard.
Have great exercise playlists.
Work out your calorific requirements to maintain your weight and then work a deficit from that - be it Huel and exercise or Huel only or exercise only.
Remember when you start losing weight your maintenance calorie count will need re-adjusted.
Track all your food calories - all your calories…milk in tea/coffee and any sugar, the odd taste of food off someone else’s plate, the mints and chewing gum, be honest with yourself. My Fitness Pal is great for this.
Avoid boredom.
Mix up your Huel with other things to change the texture and / or the taste (sugar free drops or syrups are great).
100% Huel is possible (I know it absolutely is) but it’s a big step - don’t be afraid to have 2 or 3 Huels a day as well as a normal, but perhaps balanced, meal.
If you want a treat, have one…but not every day. All about the moderation.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Above all enjoy. Huelers are great and supportive of one another - feel free to direct message me.

Best of luck

[Ex very big bloke who is now a more normal size bloke]

8 Likes

Good luck @Focus1311
Loads of good advice already here from peeps :slight_smile:

Only thing I’ve got to add, is maybe try to keep your ‘rest days’ a little bit active as well to really maximise your weight loss and allow yourself to eat slightly more than if you were completely sedentary for 2-3 days a week.
Work hard on your gym days (3 or 4 times a week as you’ve planned is realistic), and then have a gentle walk or swim on 2 other days and maybe only one day of complete rest.
Even a small amount of activity every day can really help keep your metabolism up, and increase your calorie expenditure.
Plus psychologically it’s easier to be active every day because it becomes a habit.
But definitely don’t over-do it with strength or aerobic activity - rest days from strenuous activity is really important.

Only other thing I would add is don’t get demotivated if you can’t lose as much as you’re planning (I have no idea if you can - I reckon it’s possible, but would be insanely hard). As long as you lose 0.5-1kg a week, that is really really good progress towards where you want to be.
Whatever you do, don’t give up if it’s not happening as fast as you want.
I know from personal experience that weight gain from medications can be a LOT harder to shift than any other kind of weight-gain. It takes about 3-6months for your endocrine system to reset itself after taking these kinds of meds.
Don’t let me demotivate you. Just don’t lose your enthusiasm and determination if it’s not as fast as your set goal.

The good news is, Huel really does help so much! It satisfies your hunger, cravings disappear within a week, and your appetite will reduce and regulate, and you’ll feel amazing.

Seriously good luck :blush:
Keep us posted on how you get on!

Always plenty people to give encouragement and / or tips if you and when you need it :+1:t2:

1 Like

I don’t think it matters too much, but either way that’s probably not going to be enough food for the day. I have 2 scoops 3 times a day at work, and then an additional meal after work.

I am a male btw. :

Thank you very much for the replies. I really appreciate it. The thing is I lost over 50 pounds in 2015 but gained it back over the last years. At the momen, I am on lithium and clopixol which means that the likelihood of me gaining weight is extremely high. Beside that I used to crave junk food and used to eat spagetthi or rice every day. My intake only consisted of carbs and nothing else. Just to let you know guys I had also lost 8 kg last winter by using my fitness pall ( from 116 kg to 108kg). Can you believe that i gained 12 kg between March and August (holiday weight gain).

I will keep you guys updated on my weight loss progress. Stay tuned!

2 Likes

I can believe it mate, antidepressants made me put loads of weight on, my diet was awful. Last Christmas I was a massive 23 stone ( I am used to stones and pounds, 146kg ) my blood pressure was sky high but luckily haven’t got diabetes. I had to do something and didn’t want blood pressure tablets so decided I had to sort myself out. I did 100% Huel, 3 Huels a day gave up bread as I knew that made me bloated, and went to the gym 3 times a week. I have lost 6 stone ( 38kg ) so far and feel so much better for it. I have more to go and my blood pressure is better now and without blood pressure tablets. Huel has made a big impact on my life and I am still on a low dose of antidepressants I might be on them for life according to my GP but will try to come off them again at some stage. I hope this inspires you that Huel can make a difference for you as well as I am sure it will and you too will drop your weight and feel better. Good luck to you mate, you will get good support and advice on here.

5 Likes

Obviously I don’t know anything about you beyond what you’ve posted here but 35 kg in six months seems like a way too ambitious goal for anyone, one that is likely to fail and make you feel miserable in a number of ways.

If you’re very overweight, 1 kg per week is quite possible for a limited time, but after a couple of months I would recommend that you instead aim for 0,5 kg/week, otherwise you risk losing too much muscle mass. In turn, that will make it more likely that you gain the weight back once the diet is over.

In conclusion, start with a deficit of 1000 kcal/day for the first month and keep it up for another month if you feel good. After that, at the latest, adjust the deficit to 500 kcal/day and keep that up for as long as it takes. Listen to both your body and your mind and allow yourself to eat for maintenance for a week now and then if it’s needed.

Huel has a very good macro nutrient ratio, but when on a deficit as large as 1000 kcal/day, you may actually need more protein than that to not lose muscle mass. Perhaps one meal a day could be cod or lean chicken breast with spinach, broccoli, bell peppers, tomatoes etc?

Working out with weights is necessary to keep as much muscle mass as possible. Preferably twice a week, at least.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I’ve just lost 7kg (and maintained muscle) in 11 weeks. It was very difficult. Some recommendations/advice I’ve found or read:

• The faster you lose weight the more likely you are to put it back on.
  • The longer you lose weight uninterrupted the less likely you are to adhere and more likely to put it back on.
  • The more your weight lose is due to unsustainable eating habits or created through increased energy expenditure via exercise the more like you are to put it back on (because once the diet stops the eating habits and exercise are also likely to stop).

And some number based recommendations from this book:

• Maximum recommended weight loss per week: 1.0% of your bodyweight
  • Maximum length of a single weight lose phase: 16 weeks
  • Maximum amount of weight to lose in a single phase: 10%
  • Protein to consume to maintain muscle on a weight lose phase: 2.2g per kg of bodyweight/1g per lb of bodyweight

Split it up into phases with breaks where you maintain in between and allow your body to adapt and habits to become ground in.

Good luck!

Whilst I appreciate we are all different, I lost 2 stone by eating at a caloric deficit of 500kcal per day, losing a steady 1lb per week. Meals consisted of two Huel meals and one healthy veggie meal and occasional low cal snacks, as recorded in MyFitnessPal.
I then increased my intake to maintenance level and have since managed to maintain my new weight without any problems.

3 Likes

If that was directed at me then I’d just emphasis the ‘more likely’ and ‘recommendations’ in my post!

Very impressive work also!

1 Like

Ive already lost 1 kg in 6 days I’m impressed. I don’t know if the scale is lying to me. But I checked my weight this morning (119kg). Will keep you guys updated.

2 Likes

Well done!

Weight loss in the first week can often be effected quite a bit by water weight changes, so don’t be put off if you don’t lose at the same rate going forward.

I also recommend weighing first thing in the morning after peeing, preferably with few or consistent clothes on!

:blush:

2 Likes

Nice one :muscle:

1 Like