I think I'm going to abandon Huel due to digestive issues :(

That’s interesting Falkman but kind of makes sense to me.

In my case my non Huel diet is very good so I don’t think this applies in my case. Good for others to keep this in mind though.

There definitely seems to be a correlation with me when adding a couple of teaspoons of olive oil. I don’t think I have changed much else and there has been a marked improvement in my digestive issues.

Hi, I’m quite the opposite. I’ve had IBS since 1984 which gradually worsened to take over my life. A hospital consultant put me on 5 Loperamide tablets per day and that controlled things for a few years but recently eating anything has meant I’ve had to stay near a toilet - preferably at home. Now, with Huel, I know I can got out - even on public transport - without worrying.

5 Likes

Mate, I had the same issues, but I drink a load of water at the same time and supplement with raw veg when you can

1 Like

Thanks for everyone replying.

I think I spoke too soon as the gas/bloating returned on Sunday evening/Monday morning. I’m not sure if I’m perhaps not using enough oil or if it was because I had a bottle of red on Sunday (I only drink a couple times a month). Alternatively the oil isn’t doing anything and it was just a coincidence that my symptoms alleviated when I started adding it…

1 Like

Oh no, that is bad news!

I’ve run out of Huel as of a day or two ago. But I had a couple of white bagels yesterday which I don’t often have and my guts were a bit iffy.

Nothing like my original case of Huel guffs though.

Should be getting another bag in a few days so will continue the Huel + oil experiment.

1 Like

Any chance of a low (or at least, not high -) - fibre version of Huel being released? Loads of people complain about this, and the current formulation has way more than is necessary.

Do you think it could be the fibre that causes the bad smells?

When not eating Huel I normally have one tablespoon of chia seeds in water in the morning, which is about 5g of dietary fibre.

This helps keep me regular and I plan to keep at it when having Huel.

I also take a teaspoon of inulin which “belong to a class of dietary fibers known as fructans.

Just wondering if chia seeds are a different type of fiber to that in Huel? As I don’t have the same problems with Chia seeds as I did with Huel.

Aaaaw, sorry about that Pezerinno. I hope you find a solution of your own soon.

Hi Pezerinno, I often find that the food I eat soon before or soon after Huel can result in me getting smelly gas, and I’ve always blamed the combination, because if I have only Huel, and have it on an empty stomach, and don’t eat for a few hours after, I never get the smelly gas problem.

However, I once bought Joylent and that really gave me smelly gas that smelt like horse poo. I was right back at the stables of my childhood, decades since I smelled that. LOL

Interesting, gor me it was the opposite way round. Had a lot of problems with bloating and gas, but this got a lot better since switching to Huel for lunch and breakfast.

HI guys,

Okay so I’m still going with this and the olive oil has definitely helped quite a bit. I haven’t had too many issues this past week or so. I would definitely recommend adding some olive oil for those of you who are struggling.

3 Likes

Just had two days of 150g twice a day plus olive oil with each serving.

My old friend the huel guffs have returned with a vengeance!

I think the constipation is part of the problem.

I get bunged up and whatever is brewing in there conjures up a foul smelling gas.

Ah no JCW sorry to hear that. The olive oil definitely makes a difference however it isn’t all good news with me either. Yesterday was the first time in ages where I didn’t consume any Huel (as mentioned previously I normally have 3 shakes a day), My bowel and stomach was a lot happier :confused: I’m not sure what to do… I really like Huel as a convenient add on for my diet. Trying to eat 3.5k+ calories a day with healthy solid food is a pain (first world problems) what with all the cooking and clearing up involved…

1 Like

I’ve been using Huel for about half of my diet for over a year now and love it. I’ve also had bad wind which is causing issues in my marriage and also gets pretty uncomfortable.

I generally don’t each much sugar, but in seeking to observe patterns, it seems that the gas increases whenever I have sugar. It seems pretty consistent. When I have less or no sugar, I still get bad gas, but in much smaller amounts and its not a problem.

Also the same with pulses/beans, like lentils. I’ve got to the stage now where I can’t eat lentils because of the environmental pollution which follows for the next few days.

So it might be worth checking/observing if/how its impacted by sugar and/or pulses?

Hi,
I’m awaiting my first order of Huel. I am an IBS sufferer. I have been reading this thread and I am very surprised that nobody has mentioned/considered taking probiotics alongside their Huel regime. I take ‘Udo’s Choice Chilled Digestive Enzyme Blend’ daily and it controls the bloating and gas of my IBS and keeps me comfortable. I’m hoping I will remain so when I start my Huel. I get mine from Ocado (£15.99 for 60 capsules). There are 5 different blends. All work well for me…

‘Udos Choice Ultimate Digestive Enzyme Blend is a complete blend of ten active plant-based enzymes, assisting the breakdown of fats, carbohydrates, proteins, sugars and fibre, aiding a healthy digestion and nutrient absorption’

I would suggest it is definitely worth trying.

2 Likes

My opinion: go gluten free and take digestive enzyme tablets.

Yes, I tried probiotics and enzymes. They helped me get over the issues after I stopped taking the huel, but not during.

Hi, sorry for late reply… I find that I can tolerate the vanilla Huel, but my body violently and horribly rebels against the unflavoured…even with the probiotics. So,I just stick with the vanilla.

That’s stange. I thought the flavoured was the same apart from the added flavouring?