Introducing v3.1 šŸ–¤

This is in very very rare cases. We use cyanocobalamin (a form of vitamin B12) over methylcobalamin (more common in supplements but Huel is a food) because it is stable over shelf-life and permitted for use in food products.

1 Like

Heā€™s better than my Russell Hobbs kettle. That just has acne.

7 Likes

Loved this Jack, youā€™re so right and itā€™s the USP of Huel IMO. In a very crowded market bowing to ā€˜popular tasteā€™ itā€™s so easy to get sidetracked, running the very real risk of destabilising the core.

I know Iā€™m super late to the party on this: I didnā€™t receive the email, but a friend told me about the changes. I really want to call out @jackinberlin for a really sensible and value add back & forth, but also for the Huel team for continuing to engage and have these mea culpa moments when things donā€™t go to plan.

Prices are going up and expectations around sustainability are now a given, so while the changes arenā€™t ideal in some ways, I would much rather Huel can weather the storm of these few years with goods/logistics challenges everywhere causing good companies to go under.

1 Like

Totally agree with the previous comments, you have betrayed your mission statement of ā€˜nutrition firstā€™. Not good to see you stripping out good ingredients like acerola, kombucha, probiotics and lycopene with no decent replacements. Surely the core customer base is the health conscious, not picky average joes that say itā€™s not smooth enough.

Hopefully in the future youā€™ll return to your original ethosā€¦. Would be good to see some adaptogens added in like ashwaganda or functional mushrooms

I recently wrote a post discussing this, thereā€™s no worry about these being removed.

Was hoping for more significant changes (which seem slow coming), and looking at the new nutrition information the changes are not clear.

ā€œWe have also made some nutritional changes including an increase in protein to 30g, more fibre and a small reduction in fat and salt.ā€

Barely noticeable on the fibre, fat and a salt front. Iā€™d love to see minimum 10g fibre and less than 1g saturated fat per 100g Huel across all flavours. Iā€™d probably switch to Huel 100% of my food intake if that happened.

ā€œNEW AND IMPROVED FLAVOURS - containing all natural flavourings such as Belgian chocolate flavour in our new Chocolate Powder and vanilla bean flavour in our new Vanilla Powder.ā€

Sounds nice but how about some brand new flavours? Itā€™s been a while. JimmyJoy have Coconut, Apple & Cinammon, Pistacho, Passion Fruit etc as well as all of the flavours offered by Huel and I have to admit Iā€™m tempted.

I know this has been discussed before, and I think @JamesCollier gave a detailed reply at some point but I canā€™t find it.

The new 3.1 formula still has 7.9mg of iron per 100g Huel.

The NHS website states men need a minimum of 8.7mg a day, and that consuming more than 20mg of iron per day can lead to ā€œconstipation, feeling sick, being sick, stomach painā€.

Several people follow a 100% Huel diet, which if they were male and consuming the average 2500kcals worth would mean theyā€™re consuming over 40mg of iron a day.

I appreciate thatā€™s extreme and the minority of peple, however it wouldnā€™t be unthinkable for someone to have 2-3 Huel shakes per day. 3 shakes would still put them at approx 24mg of iron (against NHS guidelines) and even 2 shakes would put them at just under 16mg - which in addition to iron consumed from other food sources during the day would put them above 20mg fairly comfortably.

Again, Iā€™m sure James had some reasonable explanation for this - but on the face of it, just to be on the safe side, couldnā€™t the formula be reduced to say <3mg iron per 100g Huel?

Hi @Steadyhueler

Totally agree with the previous comments, you have betrayed your mission statement of ā€˜nutrition firstā€™. Not good to see you stripping out good ingredients like acerola, kombucha, probiotics and lycopene with no decent replacements. Surely the core customer base is the health conscious, not picky average joes that say itā€™s not smooth enough.

Sorry you feel this way. Is there anything in my explanation that hasnā€™t addressed your concern?

Hi @Huelio_Iglesias2

Thanks for your comments.

Barely noticeable on the fibre, fat and a salt front. Iā€™d love to see minimum 10g fibre and less than 1g saturated fat per 100g Huel across all flavours. Iā€™d probably switch to Huel 100% of my food intake if that happened.

All the fibre comes from the main ingredients and, in Huel v3.0 or v3.1, we donā€™t add additional fibres nor do I feel we need to be adding them here. Also, I disagree with you about saturated fat. Remember MCTs are classed as saturates and we purposely add these. The remainder are from naturally occurring from the natural fibre-rich ingredients.

The new 3.1 formula still has 7.9mg of iron per 100g Huel.
The NHS website states men need a minimum of 8.7mg a day, and that consuming more than 20mg of iron per day can lead to ā€œconstipation, feeling sick, being sick, stomach painā€.
Several people follow a 100% Huel diet, which if they were male and consuming the average 2500kcals worth would mean theyā€™re consuming over 40mg of iron a day.
I appreciate thatā€™s extreme and the minority of peple, however it wouldnā€™t be unthinkable for someone to have 2-3 Huel shakes per day. 3 shakes would still put them at approx 24mg of iron (against NHS guidelines) and even 2 shakes would put them at just under 16mg - which in addition to iron consumed from other food sources during the day would put them above 20mg fairly comfortably.
Again, Iā€™m sure James had some reasonable explanation for this - but on the face of it, just to be on the safe side, couldnā€™t the formula be reduced to say <3mg iron per 100g Huel?

The ingredients supply all the naturally occurring iron. Donā€™t forget the interaction with phytic acid and calcium which reduce iron absorption. Indeed, one of the reasons we add a high amount of vitamin C, a potent promotor of iron absorption, is for this reason. Your concern relates to haem iron - the form found in animal products. We cover this here. A lot of high-fibre food (which you claim youā€™d like more of) are high in iron (which youā€™d like less of)!

3 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to alleviate this concern James, much appreciated, I knew youā€™d covered it before.

2 Likes

Can we expect to receive 3.1 at this point if we order? Iā€™ve been holding off on ordering vanilla and chocolate til the change over @Charlotte_Huel

I guess its random depending on stock levels of flavours - I received an order last week of Original & Cinnamon Swirl and it was still 3.0.

Which country are you based in, and what flavours would you be looking to order? I will be able to give you a rough idea based on that information :slightly_smiling_face:

UK. Vanilla and chocolate specifically :slight_smile:

I received an order last week (Germany) and I got chocolate 3.0 + 3.1

I am super disappointed about the flavor. It tastes nothing like chocolate and instead more like coconut and something very fruity + it leaves an odd aftertaste :frowning: . I hope this will be addressed once more people get theirs. I also gave my boyfriend some to try and he also had the same opinion.

2 Likes

Blockquote I received an order last week (Germany) and I got chocolate 3.0 + 3.1

Blockquote I am super disappointed about the flavor. It tastes nothing like chocolate and instead more like coconut and something very fruity + it leaves an odd aftertaste :frowning: . I hope this will be addressed once more people get theirs. I also gave my boyfriend some to try and he also had the same opinion.

That was exactly my feedback during the testing. No chocolate taste and a bad aftertaste. Chocolate is now removed from my subscription and am hoping that the other flavours have not been so badly affected. Next weekā€™s delivery could be my last order after over 3 years of daily use for 2 people in our house ā€¦

3 Likes

No chocolate taste and a bad aftertaste

Wow, I am sorry to hear that, but I am relieved to know that I am not the only one who is under the impression that the flavor quality diminished greatly.

Chocolate is now removed from my subscription and am hoping that the other flavours have not been so badly affected.

Iā€™d be interested to hear, how your experience with the other flavors goes.

Thanks for clarifying! I have had a look at our forecasts, and weā€™re looking at the first week of June for the switchover based on current sales. The actual date my change depending on sales.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry to hear that Chocolate v3.1 wasnā€™t a hit. Would you please be able to send us an email at info@huel.com, with the batch details available on the bottom right on the back of the pouch? Weā€™ll raise this with our quality team and do our best to make the situation right :pray:

1 Like