Latest RTD price increase

I’m aware they’re not the same product, I’m asking are the RTD’s not made from powder?

They.are not.

If you use the search function and search for “RTD texture” you’ll find loads of old threads about the difference between them and hacks to try and make the powder more like RTD. It’s come up many times before with people wanting the powder to be more like RTD.

2 Likes

You are correct in that they are not the same product, and the RTD does have different ingredients in order achieve a smooth and creamy texture as a premixed drink! Both the powder and the RTD are still nutritionally complete at 2,000 calories. They do have different macronutrient splits, as we like to provide a variety of products to meet the needs of our consumers. For example, the Ready to Drink contains 22g of protein for those maybe do not require as much protein, but we have the Black Edition powder for those who require a high protein/reduced carb diet.

1 Like

Are you sure…

Well, yes. That statement is true, because all Huel products are nutritionally complete per calorie, but it doesn’t highlight how much of certain things eg. saturated fat you would be consuming if you consume 2000kcal of RTD.

For example, the average amount of saturated fat across the RTD flavours is 5g per bottle, which on the nutritional info page Huel state is 25% of your RI, which I believe is based on the NHS guideline of “average woman should eat no more than 20g of saturated fat a day”, so if a women eats 2000kcal of RTD she would be consuming 125% of the upper limit guideline for saturated fat, and for a man it would actually be less at 83% of the upper limit because the NHS says men can eat up to 30g per day. Compared to the powder which is 12g per 2000kcal so essentially half the amount of RTD.

As well, on the nutritional info page for powder figures are displayed per 100g and per 2000kcal. For RTD they are only displayed per bottle. If Huel intended or expected people to use it for 100% nutrition the figures would be displayed per 2000kcal as well.

so tl;dr, just because you can use it for 100% nutrition, doesn’t mean it’s suitable for it.

So, at 6 bottles a day I’m consuming 100% of the upper limit of saturated fat for a male. Why should this worry me? I’m not fat despite having done it for a couple of years.

Consuming high levels of saturated fat in the long term can increase the risks of heart disease, a stroke, and many more. Assuming though the upper levels set by the NHS are designed to prevent these then in theory at least you should be fine.

Out of curiosity, have you taken a cholesterol test since consuming 6 bottles per day? It might be a wise things to do, just to be on the safe side.

Just two questions regarding the price:

• Why is cinnamon powder more expensive than other flavours, but cinnamon RTD not?
  • Why are the variety packs more expensive than single-flavour packs?
    Not that I would use any of these products, I was just wondering about the reason - so many aspects of your pricing don’t make sense.

all of the v2 RTD are more expensive than v1

the slight price difference is presumably because of the extra logistics involved in packing them.

In the next few months I’ll get a full profile blood test done and put up the results.

1 Like

In Germany all single-flavour packs have the same price, just the variety pack is more expensive, so the pricing seems to be different depending on the country.
When people where asking why certain flavours were more expensive for the powders the answer here was that the ingredients were more expensive, which did not really make sense. And why the packaging should be more expensive because the flavour is different is also not obvious - I mean it does not require a different material or anything like that.
So much of the pricing is intransparent, does not make sense, and my impression (also reading reddit) is that this annoys more and more customers.

The single serve RTD’s are already priced at a higher margin than bulk powders so it’s easier to absorb the differing costs of higher priced raw ingredients between flavours – on multi serve powder products which have smaller margins, then it is not as easy to do that.

Physical packaging no, packing processes yes – the variety packs would either have to be packed by hand or go through multiple machine lines

Yeah but you must agree it’s weird? It’s £1.10 more expensive (per 12 bottles) to ship the v2 variety pack than it is the v1.

It’s more expensive to buy the v2 as single flavour boxes of 12 than v1 also, yet to buy a single bottle of either version costs the same. I agree the Huel pricing structure is sometimes a head scratcher.

Maybe the v2 boxes are on a higher shelf in the warehouse?

1 Like

Or further away from the hammocks

2 Likes

Seems someone heard us. RTD pricing has changed again… V1/2 and variety boxes all priced the same now.

2 Likes

Anyone would think they’ve read the thread but not posted in it. I can’t imagine that myself.

2 Likes

Thought the same.

The whole operation these days feels so corporate and stone cold. I get it, it’s grown exponentially and won’t feel like a startup anymore, but the whole Steve Bartlett-ification has killed it for me.

Yet another RTD product about to be revealed, “reduce, reuse recycle” as they say, unless profit?

2 Likes