More Alternatives

Hi,

I’d like to request more options regarding proteins.

Soy? Hemp? Soy, at least is complete. And I believe it has a more discrete flavor than pea.

• A keto version of Huel. I mean - it should be relatively easy I guess. Remove oats+flax, adjust micros for a ketogenic version. To my knowledge nothing else would need to be added. (Well, fats. But that is both cheap and easily accesible locally)

Thanks

1 Like

Would like a whey version, but will never happen :frowning:

Sooner or later they’ll be able to clone cells to make dairy+meat without animals - then at least I imagine Huel could make it happen :grin:

A Huel version with pheromones? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Why?

How would that fix things for people with lactose intolerance or people concerned with increased risk of certain diseases due to meat+dairy consumption?

It wouldn’t, those people would be free to avoid the new meat and dairy substitute. We’re not in NK.

As for whey, it irritates my stomach a lot less than soy and pea.

1 Like

Yeah, it wouldn’t be any less or more healthy than it is now as it would be exactly the same thing, minus the negative impact on environment and animals lives. I’d argue it’s a good solution, but again, no one is forcing anyone to eat a certain way (hopefully)

Soy actually isn’t a truly complete protein; as I was saying in another thread, soy is slightly deficient in methionine, and soy protein isolates (SPI) tend to be concentrated and isolated enough with the proteins, plus better digestibility, that SPI tends to get a 1.0 PDCAAS score. But this isn’t always the case (some SPIs don’t get 1.0 in PDCAAS). As such, the perfect protein combination is 70 g soy protein (beans, isolates, whatever) and 30 g hemp protein. This is because hemp is rich in methionine, and while hemp is slightly deficient in lysine, soy has plenty of lysine.

So for any serious complete food product like Soylent, Huel and the rest, the most superior solution from a nutritional perspective, is to source the protein at 70% from soy protein isolate and 30% from hemp. Plus with hemp, you also get the best fat source ever. This is a great combination, because from SPI, you also get phytoestrogens (which tend to be around 100-200 mg per 100 g SPI, which is a good daily dose) and some phytosterols, whereas hemp seeds are very rich in phytosterols (I don’t know the exact figure, but it’s like 400 mg or something like that per 100 g).

As for whey, like anything dairy, it’s a disaster for the environment (methane emissions). And cloned meat is still as bad as regular meat when it comes to saturated fat, cholesterol and the fact that animal protein is carcinogenic.

In my opinion, Huel should remain vegan.

1 Like

You say that animal protein is carcinogenic. Would that statement apply to seafood as well?

1 Like

I just really wish for a ketogenic version really! Will it ever happen @JamesCollier?

I’m not going to spout wild claims like the last guy, but I’d probably say seafood is better to stay away from these days due to all the plastic micro particles. :frowning:

1 Like

We’re always looking at other ingredients.

Keto - I’m not keen for a number of reasons covered before. It’s not as easy as that because there’s loads more to ‘keto’ (eg, they have to be moderate protein unless we select individual ketogenic amino acids). ‘Keto’ is a regimen - a keto product would have to be part of a keto regimen. Also, FYI flax would stay as it’s high fat and a great choice for a ‘keto’ product.

3 Likes

Kudos for sticking to your position on this, it’s cool to see.

Too many people think keto is a silver bullet for losing weight, same as intermittent fasting. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

On a health basis I dont know wether keto is good or bad.

What I do know, also from personal experience, is that helps a lot of people during diets because cravings as well as extreme hunger/hunger pangs subsidue by a huge marigin compared to medium/high carb diets. Many people also report improved mental stamina without highs and lows, among other things. I think it has it’s use, and I hope at some point Huel and James Collier will be willing to try it. It would also be good for business I imagine, its quite popular and not many companies like Huel provide such a product right now

Edit: I see now flax seeds would actually be great for a ketogenic version as it’s lowcarb. My bad, you’re absolutely right.

Remember also Huel isn’t a weight loss product: it’s a complete food.

Indeed; I am aware of this - but at the same time ketosis is not solely something for weight loss as a good amount of people use it as a lifestyle. A pure weight loss product I suppose would be a shake similar to Very Low Calorie Diet, giving you all nutrition in 600 or so calories - but there is plenty of options for that I’d say

I guess. Here’s the study that found, animal protein is more carcinogenic than plant protein:

Personally I believe it’s because of the much higher leucine content in animal protein, which is great for bodybuilding because leucine triggers mTOR, but on the other hand, mTOR isn’t just for building muscles but also cell division, which in turn I guess could increase the risk for cancer. There’s plenty of research on mTOR and cancer, such as:

So anyway, vegan protein is not just safer from a cancer perspective, but also better for the environment.

Personally I’ve never been a fan of seafood (yuck!), and people should stay away from seafood anyway because of how much we’ve poisoned our seas with heavy metals and whatnot, and also all because overfishing is a major environmental problem (it disrupts the food chain; not good!).

2 Likes

I think the risk is worth it :smiley: