New Hoisin ‘Duck’ Noodles have landed

God damn! I just placed an order on Monday so missed them.

How bizarre!

Have you checked it again since this message? :eyes:

We’ll be ready for your next order! :heart:

1 Like

Yes, just now. Its the EU site btw:

I have just tried my first Hoisin pot; overall, very good. The Hoisin taste isn’t particularly “Hoisin-y” but it’s close enough. I would imagine it is fairly tricky trying to recreate the sticky, sweet of real Hoisin in a healthy pot.

Goes into second place behind Katsu, with Fiery in third (nothing wrong with Fiery heat but it’s lacks a little flavour beyond the heat).

I did notice it comes in a plastic pot, rather than the paper. Has there been any word on the reasoning behind this?

2 Likes

Interesting review. I agree about the fiery being heat over taste. A plastic pot? That’s not good but at same time there were so many issues with the previous pots. I’d prefer a single serve sachet that could be ripped open into a bowl and water added…but guess that lessens the convenience. If Huel wants to sell the single pots in supermarkets etc. then they do need a better option than the originals but not happy with plastic. I was about to order too.

One bit of Hueligan feedback we’ve been keen to work on is the strong aroma of the Pots even before opening. By moving to a plastic pot, we expect the updated packaging will help to keep all those enticing smells where they should be - locked inside your pot. Plus, we have been able to print the fill line on the inside of the card sleeve. This means you’ll clearly be able to see the fill line, so no more soupy noodles! Importantly here, Huel Instant Meal Pots remain 100% recyclable.

1 Like

I’ve just ordered a box so will be trying them out when the arrive in a few days. I don’t actually use the supplied pots though, I decant them into food flask and then add water. But boy those original ones were mighty stinky.

1 Like

Be sure to keep us posted how you get on and what you think? :raised_hands:

1 Like

I just ate my first duck, it was really very good. so far this is my favorite huel meal.

So they arrived today and I made a meal in my food flask with the recommended amount of water and left for recommended time.

Really nice. A decent amount of d*ck pieces (yes I did see the Huel post on social yesterday) and it’s my favourite of the 3 so far. I’ll add a bit of black pepper. I was worried it might be a bit too sweet but it isn’t. Taste and texture both very good.

2 Likes

Never been a real fan of Hoisin, but thought I would give these a go so that I can vary my other Huel meals. So glad I did, they are really nice, would really like there to be a large bag of these to match the Mac n Cheeze and other scoopable meals, the pots are ok but a little expensive per meal.

1 Like

Just to add I have just tried the Katsu, it’s really nice, probably my favourite savoury Huel meal.

My order has just flown in and in short, the flavour and texture is really nice. I did however, wing it, and added more water than recommended and even then, the texture and consistency was pretty good!

Definitely recommend its worth sticking your beak in and having a try.

For me, thats another handy pot to consume at work, 3 in a row now for me.

Some good reviews here. Next time my sub is due, I’ll add it to my bill.

BILL, LIKE A BIRD’S BILL

1 Like

Had a few of these now and really enjoy them! The flavour is absolutely spot on :ok_hand: Huel team nailed it 100%. It edges out Katsu Curry for me, though I love both.

Texture:
I was a bit disappointed with the ‘duck’ pieces, as usually it’s more firm, larger, breaks away, sometimes more shredded-like, etc, and this tastes more like the chicken pieces in the Katsu Curry one. Part of me feels like I’m eating the same Katsu Curry pot, just flavoured brilliantly as Hoisin Duck. But at the end of the day, I’m comparing the textures of corpses and still thoroughly enjoy the meal.

Though it’s worth noting – take for example Linda McCartney’s hoisin duck which is vegan and tastes great. A form and texture like that would have been a LOT more uniquely enjoyable, separating it further from the other pots. No doubt Huel will smash each pot’s flavour, but I hope future pots change up the textures and forms/shapes with something different than the same small chicken-like pieces, otherwise these pots will quickly become repetitive/boring, like eating the same copied/pasted thing except for the flavour, which would make me look elsewhere for more variety.

New pot:
GREAT JOB. This pot is farrrr better than the original :slight_smile: All original complaints now obsolete – thank you Huel (@Tim_Huel in particular) for listening! Pot design still too plain, being the least attractive Huel product, though I imagine this is due to the decision to keep it black and white for costs, therefore preventing imagery/art like Daily Greens, RTD, etc. Feels leagues more premium and sturdy than the original pot. Awesome work.

Still think there’s room to do sachets too, such as selling a pack of 10 sachets in a very small package rather than a huge box of pots, as 99% of the time I will have a bowl available anyway so the pot is usually pointless, wasteful and unnecessary extra cost. If I did need a pot for camping, taking to work, convenience or something, then I’d store 1 or 2 sachets in the black H&S pot and decant a sachet into that pot when I’m gonna have it :bulb: I’d much prefer having a bunch of sachets for regular use, with a few pots in the cupboard for rare occasions.

Overall:
Delicious! Perfect flavour, decent texture, and the new pot is soooo much better. Will be ordering them somewhat regularly for sure. Out of all the hot meals, I think Hoisin Duck, Katsu Curry and Spaghetti Carbonara are my favourites. I’d definitely order Hoisin and Katsu without fail every month if they were sachets and therefore cheaper and took up less storage. Sachet format seems like a no brainer for these.

Looking forward to ordering more and seeing the next flavour :relieved:

1 Like

Yes that’s me too.

1 Like

Depends on the whole lifecycle of the pack – pros and cons for both, the paper probably uses more resources to produce but tips the win with its biodegradeabilty.

not necessarily - the pots are less efficient in logistics costs but will be cheaper to produce and pack so would probably have little to no impact on retail cost. the more colours and inks you use on the pack also adds to the pack price.

How would a large box of 8 pots, each filled a third with dried food and the rest air, along with the multiple different materials and design elements, be more expensive to produce than a small pack of single-material sachets of paper or similar, with basic code-like printed text on them, which all packed together take up less space than a single pot?

I can go on Ocado right now and buy a Naked Noodle pot for 85p. For a Huel pot, it’s £3.50, over 4 times more. For the same cost of a box of 8 Huel pots, one can buy 28 Naked Noodle pots. While of course Huel has advantages such as being vegan and more nutritious, that’s clearly nuts. Exploring sachets seems worthwhile to compete in a different way, while leveraging an existing item (the black H&S pot).

sachets could not be done in paper - they would neither have the necessary barrier properties or structural strength to do that and still offer the necessary shelf life Huel use - they would need to be a multi layer material. Size and volume only directly represents cost efficiency in logistics, nothin else - for the price of a kilo of gold I could buy 40 tonnes of aluminium but wouldn’t have the space to keep it. As I said - the whole life cycle of the pack determines its cost effectiveness. Paper and pulp packs also use a lot of resources to produce – particularly water – and full lifecycle, they generally cost more and use more energy to produce than a plastic equivalent. A fact that is overlooked because of their other advantages.

1 Like