New to Huel - Aftertaste

Hello,

I am new to Huel, received my first pack through the post today. It’s the Vanilla v2.3.

I am the kind of person who will eat anything, I’ll happily try any food, even if it sounds awful. I also regularly have protein shakes.

I thought Huel would be an easy thing for me to adapt to, but I just could not handle the taste, specifically the aftertaste. The initial taste and texture is nice, but after that it tastes like a mouthful of chemicals and quite bitter. I really struggled to keep the first portion down (3 scoops and 400ml water in a blender), I came close to vomiting a few times. This has never happened with anything for me before.

Any advice? I have read that making it the night before and refrigerating overnight will help, so will try that for tomorrow.
I tried coffee mixed in, but that didn’t help the aftertaste.

I really want to get this to work for me.

Thanks

Hi there.

I am also new to Huel. I received my package yesterday but today is my first trying it out. I started out with one scoop and about 7-8 oz of water. Like you Im the type of person to “happily try any food, even if it sounds awful” but I definitely was not prepared for the taste. Maybe its because Im not used to taking any sort of protein or meal replacement shakes.

I was going to opt-in for the flavor booster with my original purchase but decided against because I didn’t want to spend money on something I might not like in the end. Now, Im kidding regretting not getting the flavor booster. After work Im planning on going to my local grocery store since they have a health section with powdered flavors so you can add them to your shakes.

Ill let you know how that pans out for me but the in the mean time Ive also read you can add fruits to your shake to give it a more flavor. You could give that a try. You can also check out the recipes section on the main site for a more tasty meal.

Joseph

Do you use the shaker or a cup? If the shaker then try something else, a good deal of taste is actually smell, which the shaker pretty much does away with.

I actually love the taste of new vanilla Huel, have done from day 1 and generally have 2 scoops in 400ml water for lunch. I also enjoy both of the granola flavours which I alternate daily for breakfast.

I did buy a sample pack of flavour boosts and so far have tried the mint choc and banana, both of which I enjoyed. Yesterday I tried adding a heaped teaspoon of instant coffee to my lunch shake and found it really yummy :yum:

There are plenty of flavoursome things to add if you’re not keen on the Huel powder as is. So far I have not tried frozen fruits but intend to rectify that soon.

I hope Huel grows on you and you soon get to like it as much as I do :grinning:

@RichTeaBiscuit if you’ve got a blender that helps. Add frozen fruits to change the taste. Or instant coffee. I’m currently making mine 3 scoops, 500ml water (or milk/substitute), and fruit or coffee. Works with original and vanilla for me.

I honestly don’t get the aftertaste, my partner has tried it and he could barely even swallow it then protested about the aftertaste for several minutes! Strangely he is used to drinking diet soda, and I’ve never tried any protein shakes. This is very individual.

Thank you for the responses. I think some of you may have got the wrong end of the stick, it’s not the taste, it’s the aftertaste. Coffee etc doesn’t make a difference.

Today was different. The batch I made and refrigerated overnight was easily drinkable. The aftertaste was still there, just not as intense.

Do you know if it was because it was cold, or because it had been left overnight? Hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel, might try the UU type if I can return the other unopened bag. I just want it to be something I can take to work and mix it up there (I can not take liquids to work, so I have to take it unmixed).

That’s intriguing. What’s your job? I guess it’s airport related.

You are correct, I sit at the pointy end of the aircraft. In the UK you have to take liquids through security in 100ml containers. There is bottled water onboard so it would be easy enough to mix the powder.

My experience over the last few days has been good. Chilled overnight is definitely the way to go for me. It’s just a shame I can’t use it at work.

1 Like

So just an update. I’ve got to the end of my first two bags. It’s fine if I make it the day before and leave it in the fridge. Got two bags of UU coming tomorrow. Hopefully I can drink that instantly.

1 Like

I’d add water first

I’m guessing that’s a technical term? :rofl:

1 Like

I used Huel for the first time a few days ago and I noticed the aftertaste too. I had used 3 scoops of Vanilla Huel in 400ml of water in a shaker, with a sampler sachet of mint chocolate flavour boost. I experienced an intense aftertaste, of the kind that I normally experience with artifically sweetened drinks, and I couldn’t finish the whole drink. I thought I’d just wasted a lot of money on 2 bags.

The next day I tried something different: I put some fruit (banana and berries) and almond milk into my blender and added 2 scoops of Vanilla Huel. The result was much more pleasant and drinkable.

I’ve been tinkering with this since, and have now found that Vanilla Huel simply blended with a mixture of water & almond milk is quite palatable. The process of blending seems to improve the flavour as well as the texture, compared to shaking. If I want to sweeten it, I add some banana instead of more artificial sweetener. Huel is definitely staying part of my diet now.

3 Likes