Nutritional education

Question for everyone really.

I have two undergraduate degrees in arts subjects, I also have an LLM and a masters in history.

I’ve always been hugely interested in nutrition and sports sciences but I’m wondering where I would go to get some actual qualifications. My physical disabilities may prevent some things from happening but my mind is sharp as it ever was.

What’s a good University for nutritional stuff? At this stage I’d love to be doing a Dphil or Phd but law, history and English qualifications would probably not be any use so I imagine I need to start with an undergraduate degree, preferably something I can do remotely.

Any ideas chaps/chappetts?

1 Like

Open University is usually a good shout.

worked for me

In the U.K the best nutrition universities are (in my opinion, you could always check out league tables), King’s College London, Surrey, Leeds, Newcastle, Nottingham and Queen’s University Belfast.

If you want to become a Registered Nutritionist after you graduate the easiest way to go about doing that is by choosing an accredited course.

1 Like

Thanks @Dan_Huel I, rather oddly, worked as a temp at the nutrition society in Fulham after I left the marines but I wasn’t certain if it was still a thing!

1 Like

I love the OU. My dad finally got a degree via them and a cousin of mine has done a fair few undergraduate degrees but when it comes to specific stuff I find a particular college can be helpful.

By way of example, I have a law degree from Christ college, Oxford. And I did my LLM there also, many years later, which would be looked upon better than having done so at e.g. Swindon

1 Like

An Oxbridge law graduate. 3 or 4 other degrees/masters. An ex marine.

Are you Jason Bourne or something?

I’m going to go and have a little cry now.

Don’t tip me over the edge!

As a good start I would recommend an Online Course at edx or coursera.At edx there is a professional certificate degree programm in “Food, Nutrition and Health” and one for “Nutrition and Disease”.
You can access the content for free, but if you want to unlock the graded assignments that you have to complete to get the certificate you have to pay a (comparatively small) fee.

I have completed some math and programming courses on edx and was very happy with the quality of the content. You learn a lot and you don’t have to pay much for it.

If you want to make a job out of your interest an accredited program would be best, but to get a good start I think online courses are worth a try. Plus, you can really learn a lot from them…

1 Like

Apologies for some of my slightly punchy replies previously, have deleted and will write out “do not talk to anyone even online when in the middle of a psychotic episode” a hundred times.

In other news, I have signed up for a couple of free open learning courses which I will start in a couple of weeks both to register an interest as well as give myself a more formal grounding than the stuff I have hitherto picked up.

Many thanks for all your suggestions, and again my apologies to anyone who requires them. I hate my mental disorders so much!!

2 Likes

Don’t worry at all Matt. You have nothing to apologise for. I hope you’re feeling better now and you enjoy the courses :slight_smile: