Ok.. šŸ˜† What about Flatulance?

You might be getting too much fibre if you add psyllium husk to it.

But I tend to get far less flatulence during the day when Iā€™m drinking Huel, but some awful flatulence in the evening after Iā€™ve had my evening meal. So Iā€™m not quite sure whats going on either.

1 Like

I noticed this big time when I tried Joylent and Queal - to the point where I thought the neighbours might start complaining!! Huel doesnā€™t seem to cause anywhere near as much window rattling for me. :smiley:

3 Likes

Well Iā€™m glad itā€™s not just me. A biological answer would be useful. I like adding crunch to my huel hence the bran flakes, maybe I could try less fibre flakes like cornflakes.

I drink fresh coffee too.

Just do a quick search with regards to sucralose and gut floraā€¦

1 Like

Maybe the best option is to get the unflavoured version and then buy the flavour packs, because they contain Stevia instead of Sucralose.

I have always had great winds before I tried Huel, and in the first months I found that they decreased both in magnitude and frequency.
Lately I have been experiencing a comeback, even though I have switched to the unflavoured version since itā€™s available. So this would likely rule out the sweetener causing it. I also think that this increase could either be the result of the slight increase in the portions (from 100g to 125g poweder with about 5-600ml water) or a change in the exact components in Huel. @Julian mentioned actually that there could be a slight variation in the source of the components

Here is an answer I gave to another question which could partly explain this issue. Basically, you body is adjusting and itā€™s a passing phase.

I was listening to podcast which mentioned the super size me experiment. In which the person said that at first morgan spurlock didnā€™t get on too with so much mcdonadls but once his gut / microbiome adjusted he ā€œfeltā€ better. The theory is as we fed our bodies certain food, the microbiome which thrives on that food ā€œhave the capacity to manipulate behaviour and mood through altering the neural signalsā€. Source: https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2014/08/116526/do-gut-bacteria-rule-our-minds

So if you are consuming one type of diet, e.g. junk food and switch to a healthy whole food, your microbiome which is living off the junk food might react and trigger feeling bad or craving junk food as they fight to survive, but I donā€™t think you will be become intolerant, itā€™s just a passing phase while your guy adjusts.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a really interesting article, though it is cautious on itā€™s claims.

I have noticed now my cravings have ebbed away a fair amount, and my desire to exercise more has increased.

Moving into month two I may see a weight loss, hopefully.

You are right that my windyness has decreased after a while.

Am on the original one.:smiley: @Marcus

Hi Geri,

Have you calculated how many calories you should be consuming per day? Are you consuming 500 less than that amount?

Yes and noā€¦ I guess I need to be more accurate. Going to chat to GP later today. First gym sessionā€¦ My Iā€™m so unfit!

The calories are super important for losing or gaining weight. Precision is important. Read here: http://huel.com/pages/how-to-use-huel#Step%201

The leanest I ever got was during a 3 month period when I planned out and weighed all my food, every bit! 500 deficit every day without fail, no cheat days.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I was going to ask you for a quick link there. My GP and I have worked out that when I am stressed my will power goes and I forget what Iā€™m eatingā€¦ Iā€™ve been experiencing high amounts of stress recently, though I am a calm person so it seems to only show in the amount of calories consumed. So I will follow the measuring and weighing guidelinesā€¦ Of course if I burn 500 calories at the gym in addition, that will be even better !

Just to throw in my experience; 100% huel weekdays and maybe 50% give or take on weekends, on the original formula; no noticeable flatulance (I mean, sure, occasionally, but not often and no more than usual). Perhaps Iā€™m in the minority though.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Okā€¦ :laughing: What about Flatulance?:

Mine has now settled down as @Julian said it would.

1 Like

Just sending respect for the Brazil reference. *****

1 Like

That there is what true healthy smells like. Go on, take a deep breath and enjoy it :grinning:

I have generally experienced that it has gone down when eating powered foods like Joylent and Huel. I think it is really personal, and we all react differently because of gut bacteria composition. Maybe this is a thing where Huel could put a poll on the forum, just to see if there are some general patterns.

My room appears to have adopted a permanent odour.

1 Like

None here. Infact less as Iā€™m off the protein powder. Maybe try mixing with something else and see how you get on.