Original flavour poll - Original customers I need your opinion

I’d give a close match a try.

Is there a vague release date idea if this were to happen? Original 2.3 has now run out and i would be bummed to make an order say, tomorrow and then find that the new original flavour was released thursday, for example

I would say several months at the earliest, we haven’t decided what to do, which means the flavour hasn’t be ordered, then it need to be produced, then shipped the various warehouses around the world.

2 Likes

That’s what i figured, will there be some form of announcement say, a couple of weeks before so we can be prepared? I only ask as 3.0 kinda just appeared out of nowhere, admittedly i wasnt on the forums back then so i may have missed any initial build up

Also, any plans to do another batch of 2.3 Original? I know this was spoken about as a possibility before.

everything is possible, just depends on certain factors, I will investigate.

3 Likes

Thanks Julian :slight_smile:

I never tried Original V2.3 BUT I would be interested in trying a V3 Original in any form as an alternative to V3 Vanilla OR just an improved V3 Vanilla.

V3 Vanilla does not have much of a vanilla flavour at all and has a strong sweetener aftertaste. Drinking it cold/refrigerated is much better, but I would still say it tastes 25% Vanilla+75% Sweetener. Its still OK but would be good to shift the balance the other-way.

As feedback please, please, please keep V3 Banana :banana: :banana: :banana: as it’s my favourite of the lot. Tastes very much like blended (greenish-yellow) bananas. It does seem to have a weird aftertaste (sweet and sour almost like rhubarb or raspberries) but I’ve actually grown to like it.

It won’t be going anywhere because if it does I will personally revolt against the product development team.

2 Likes

Product Development Team: Hey, the Nutrition Team are revolting.

Hunzas: I know they are, tell me something I don’t know.

2 Likes

Ok, so the bulk order of Vanilla and UU arrived and I tried a quick (50/50 split) mix of the two. I guess I might have to try tweak that by upping the amount of vanilla maybe another 5 to 10 percent, but it certainly wasn’t a million miles off of Original flavour drinking it without any extra flavour boosts.

As a base for adding flavour boosts, I doubt I’d be able to tell the difference near as dammit using that split. This would certainly be a doable stop gap for me until such time as a new Original 3.0 arrived.

I’ve given David so many hearts, I think I’m in love. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I was very disappointed to not find Original anywhere in the store today, so checked here.

Continuing to sell 2.3 Original would be the perfect outcome for us old school (loyal!) customers, but I understand that may not be possible if the manufacturing process has changed. A shame, as it was delicious. I find the flavours (especially the new Chocolate) absolutely awful. A friend of mine actually gave me his V3 chocolate bag as it hated the taste so much. I did too, and so it ended up in the bin. He didn’t want it back.

It makes me wonder how many people—especially those new to Huel—never tried the original and don’t know how good it was. People tend to gravitate towards ice cream flavours when ‘blind’ purchasing new products. That will skew the popularity stats by a considerable margin.

If the new V3 original has that same artificial/sour taste as the new Chocolate (I don’t like any of the 'flavours, as it happens - they all taste cheap and synthetic), I would stop having Huel altogether.

So many times I recommended (original) Huel to people on Facebook etc and they ended up buying Vanilla or Chocolate, only to post on social media that they hated the taste.

I was worried that the Original taste would change at some point, and here it is. Damn it.

3 Likes

Good, I expect a full Les Miserables style barricade going up, maybe some musical numbers singing the virtues of banana huel.

1 Like

I echo this exact point. I am a huge fan of original v2.3 I look forward to consuming it after several months of use I still love it. Vanilla v3.0 is okay, the texture that made Huel great has completely gone.

I bought two bags of v3.0, one chocolate and one coffee off a poster on Reddit. I fully understand why they were selling them. Absolutely awful, the v3.0 chocolate has the most disgusting after taste. I regularly drink questionably flavoured protein shakes no bother, but v3.0 chocolate is unbearable, it’s not fit for purpose, coffee is not much better. As v2.3 is sold out for good, I think it’s time for me to leave Huel behind. It’s a shame, I really thought v2.3 was perfect.

1 Like

Same here - I used to look forward to 2.3. Also remember taking awful tasting protein drinks (hello Cell Tech) and being able to bear it. 3.0 - had to spit it out!

I understand the drive for maximisation and optimisation, but considering the drastic change in taste, it makes you wonder - who are these latest changes for? The customer, or the business? I would posit the latter.

Genuinely gutted that they changed it, it was the perfect shake/taste/texture and a staple in my diet (life!). It was my answer to a healthy vegan lifestyle.

Anyone have any alternative recommendations?

To clarify for anyone reading, v2.3 Original is sold out, but Vanilla, Chocolate, Banana, Berry and U/U v2.3 are very much still available

My 2 cents – the problem with anything other than Original is that they both have a flavour and they don’t. I’ve tried UU, it’s not as bad as many say (never had any of the v3s by the way but the older ones), it tastes like soil (the one plants live in, not whatever else one may think of).

The flavoured ones, including berry, banana, chocolate, black, they all taste like homeopatic food (exc from Vanilla 2.x, which has an annoyingly strong vanilla taste). They smell like what it says on the label but doesn’t really taste like it, just half way. This makes them rather annoying to consume because they do taste strong enough that we’d need 2x-3x the additional flavouring to make the basic flavour go away but they’re weak enough in flavour to make it taste extremely watered-down on their own. Also who came up with the idea of a caffeinated product? There’s only so little one can take of that in a day without getting into hyper-mode.

Original v2.x is good because it’s flavoured enough not to taste like plant soil but subtle enough not to be the homeopathic obscure stuff you’re selling with the other products. With Original, I have a choice. Like “hmmm I have 6 various flavouring packs at home, what do I feel like today?” rather than “I have 8 months worth of homeopathic banana at home and I have to survive zombie apocalypse on that, wonder if I’d rather jump from the 5th floor as that’s easier.”

In an answer to the poll, appreciating you can’t send people samples, but if (being sarcastic here) you say it’s 90% the same and 10% turtle-intestines then it will taste horrendous most likely. Be more specific on what’s different, perhaps run focus groups or something. A 10-20% difference has the capability of being subtle or major.

Just got some v3 Vanilla for first time after using v2.1 Original before. I can tell this is a bit sweeter but tbh very similar for me.

After reading the above I was expecting a disgusting taste but unexpectedly happy.

Bring back caramel or toffee please!

1 Like

I am new to Huel, I bought Vanilla and Chocolate. I tried the V3 Vanilla and it was good, the only thing is there is an odd aftertaste because of the sweetener. I would prefer to have a more oaty taste so then I can add my own sweeteners i.e. banana. I would have bought the unsweetened version but looks like it is sold out. The chocolate was very bad I couldn’t finish the 2 scoops. Also Xylitol would be a better sweetener than Stevia.