Protein powder manufacturing process

It is common for protein powder products to end up containing monosodium glutamate (MSG) due to manufacturing reasons. Are proteases used in the process of separating the protein from its food source in the case of the extracts used for Huel? Do you know if Huel ends up containing any MSG produced during this process?
Protein extracts are particularly fragile and proteins get denatured even when the drying happens at low temperatures. Do you know the level of these impurities/byproducts of protein processing in Huel?

Some protein powder products unfortunately contain arsenic (particularly rice products), cadmium or mercury above the safe levels. I know you’ve already started testing for these. Have you got any results yet?

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Hi @JamesCollier & @Julian, just checking if you saw this question given it’s been a few days with no response? I nearly missed it myself, but I’m curious, especially about the MSG (although I was under the impression that MSG isn’t actually bad for you, although obviously some people could be sensitive to it).

Our powders are tested for metals and allergens and we can confirm there’s no MSG contamination. Arsenic, cadmium or mercury are all below safe levels.

I’m currently getting info together to put together a short article on how the protein powders used in Huel are produced; I need to liaise with suppliers for some finer points. Bear with me and I’ll cover in more detail.

To answer your questions wholly accurately, I need to speak more with our suppliers and collate the info. I’ll cover everything as part of the article.

However, I can confirm that you have needn’t have any conerns.

2 Likes

Is there an update to this @JamesCollier?

Hi

I forgot about this: I will sort something over the next few weeks

1 Like