Request: Huel Instant Noodles

I’m really sold on the idea of Huel, and ‘complete foods’ in general. However, I don’t have a sweet tooth, and that seems to be the market that Huel is targeting at the moment. The Huel Bars aren’t too sweet, I like those well enough, but regardless, a vision of the holy grail comes to us from across the water: https://viteramen.com/ ‘Complete’ instant noodles!

Unfortunately, they actually don’t claim to be fully complete, just ‘mostly’. Plus, they don’t ship to the UK, and getting noodles shipped in from the US seems extreme even if they did, not to mention the price of it all in any large quantity.

I’ve tried satisfying my cravings for savoury Huel by adding bouillon, marmite, hot sauce, etc. These experiments were not it, to say the least. Imagine instead being able to boil some Huel noodles in a few minutes, then adding some stock cube ‘flavour boost’. Clearly that’s the way. ‘Complete’ pasta would also be a good idea.

So please, tell your top chefs to drop everything and figure out Huel noodles/pasta

6 Likes

I’m not sure about having to boil huel noodles/pasta. The good thing about huel is you don’t have to cook it. Otherwise you might as well just cook normal pasta and then take a vitamin tablet.
100% behind the idea of a savoury huel as all the flavours I’ve tried are overly sweet ( a savoury huel pie maybe )

Adding unflavoured Huel to a thin vegetable soup to thicken it up, or to dahl is my favourite way of creating quick, easy, hot, savoury Huel.
I add it after cooking / heating (rather than boiling or simmering it) and blend it in, to preserve the vitamins and nutrients.

I know it’s not quite what your asking for, but it does work really well.
If you want to maintain the convenience aspect, buy some fresh soup from the chiller cabinet (all the supermarkets do some really excellent fresh soups), add water to make it thinner, heat it up, then add the Huel at the end to thicken it. Really satisfying and tasty :+1:t2:

6 Likes

@Berserker I would live on instant noodles and a vitamin tablet in a heartbeat, problem is though that most vitamin tablets, in my experience, are never complete like Huel is. They generally lack at least potassium, calcium, iron, etc, as well as phytonutrients. Plus that diet would of course lack protein, fiber, omega-3, and whatever else. Of course then you can go on a powder-buying shopping spree to fill all those holes, at which point you’ve basically made your own Huel.

I do think actually that it would be good if Huel also sold a ‘Huel Lite’ sort of powder, which would be everything except the carbs/fats/proteins (and salt I suppose) so you could get the benefits of Huel while getting your macros elsewhere. I’m also with you on the Huel Pie :+1:

@ChristinaT Great suggestion there, how many scoops of Huel do you normally add?

One of the best things about instant noodles is I could eat 2000cals of them very quickly (for intermittent fasting and all that), whereas chugging 2000cals of Huel is a bit more difficult. And with Huel soup, my guess is much more than 2 scoops and it would start to get a bit too thick?

1 Like

It depends enormously on what kind of soup it is and how much water I add.
Try adding just a little at a time, until you get the thickness you like. You can always add more hot water if after blending it it’s too thick. Just be careful not to dilute the flavour of the soup too much. Strong flavoured soups work best, and I often add a little extra seasoning (salt, pepper, chilli, other spices)

I don’t really measure it, but I’m guessing that for a 650ml soup pot, I add roughly 200ml extra water and 2 scoops of Huel.
Some shop bought soups are really watery to start with, and others are very thick. So it really depends.

I pretty much did, which is why I’ve started having huel. Instant noodles are so ridiculously cheap, have a long self life, easy to make and tastes good. But like you say they don’t give you protein, vitamins, ect.
I’ve been thinking about noodles since you’ve post this and how much I miss them.
You sold the idea of huel noodles to me now… (hoodles?)

3 Likes

Brilliant :laughing:

I bet it could be done… I’ve never tried making noodles or pasta. The recipe is basically flour and water. Noodles and fresh pasta are often made with egg but there are plenty vegan recipes.

We need Hueldools !

Just found this topic.

Seems no one has succeeded yet… but I can’t see why it wouldn’t be possible. Vegan gluten free pasta can be bought commercially (I know, I have plenty different varieties in my cupboard right now) so gluten and eggs are not necessary for dry pasta.
My favourites are made from brown rice, or buckwheat, but I’ve also got some made from corn. I’ve never seen pasta made with any kind of powdered protein isolate though.

I haven’t seen anything about pastas (successful), as you said; but there are a few recipes for bread and pizza base.

1 Like

Would boiling it not kill all the nutrients? I’ve seen a lot of baking recipes does that also do anything to the nutrients?

Huedles

3 Likes

Lots of people cook and bake with Huel. Most of the nutrients will remain the same, but a few of the vitamins that are not heat stable or are water soluble eg vitamin c and the b vitamins, would be reduced by cooking in water. This can be minimised by cooking in as small amount of water as possible ie just enough to cover it and be absorbed. And by cooking quickly. Noodles generally take less than a minute to cook anyway.

Bare in mind that reduction in vitamins during cooking effects all foods: fresh vegetables will have much higher vitamin contents if eaten fresh and raw, and will have less if boiled.

2 Likes

There it is

1 Like

I’ve tried Vite Ramen a few times and, I can’t help but say it… Total game changer. Everything I like about noodles, but actually good for me.

1 Like

How did you get it shipped to the uk?

I wrote this when I first read about them and ended up making a couple of useful contacts through their kickstarter :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is another good idea, and I think another reason why I’d like to see a ‘Huel Lite’ (as I mentioned above, that would be the Huel powder without the carbs/fat/protein/fiber). That way I can take a sachet of that stuff, pour some in a bread maker, some in the soup, some in pesto for pasta, etc, and then get the benefits of Huel while eating a convenient and not too alien diet, and I can have Huel bread without someone having to ship me bread every morning. That said though, if I had to pick between Huedles and Huel Lite, I’d pick Huedles

So just the vitamin complex?? Surely just take a multivitamin. Or have I misunderstood?

1 Like

Well it’s not far off, except Huel powder minus the macros would have a lot more than a multivitamin, most multivitamins lack many things that are hard to get right otherwise: potassium, omega-3s, iron, calcium, and all the phytonutrients (and that’s the big one), plus whatever else I’m missing. I spent quite a while on completefoods.co trying to put together some Huel-like recipes, and found that the real magic of Huel is not in the macros but the micros. Even for a vegan, figuring out your macros is easy, but getting your micros right is very difficult, and that, for me, is the main problem that Huel solves

But about 80% of the nutrients and vitamins in Huel come from the whole ingredients ie the oats, rice, flaxseed. If you took away all the whole ingredients then you would no longer have the ‘micros’. For example flaxseed provides the omegas not just the fibre, and oats provide most of the vitamins, not just the carbs.
Also if you take away the fats, then the fat soluble vitamins would no longer be able to be absorbed by the body.
Huel is a complete food… if you take all the food out of it it would no longer be complete and you would literally just have a multivitamin left.
You can buy full spectrum vitamins, minerals, omega oils etc from all health food stores.
I used to take them with my morning porridge. I like that I can replace my porridge with Huel and not need to buy all the vitamins anymore.

1 Like

Well I don’t want to hijack this post with a tangent, but I think it could be done through other ingredients, and if it needs some fat added then so be it. And while I’m not saying it should replace Huel, I am saying that if Huel released their ‘vitamin complex’, with the phytonutrients, omega-3s, and everything else as a standalone product, it would be far and away the best on the market as far as I can tell (given their commitments to veganism, environmentalism, and completeness), and would be useful on the days when I just want some pasta and pesto.