Severe Headaches With Huel?

Got my first Huel yesterday, so I decided to try it for tea. The taste wasn’t terrible, I quite enjoyed it, but shortly after I developed a splitting, nauseous headache. I never normally get headaches, but wondered if it was just a coincidence, drank quite a bit of water and went to bed early. This morning, I woke up fine and decided to try again. Same thing happened, had to go back to bed this afternoon with a pounding head. Really reluctant to try it again, has anyone else had a similar experience? As far as I’m aware I’m not allergic to anything, it’s worrying. And I’m pretty annoyed to have spent that much on a product if I can’t consume it.

Heul headaches?

Hi @rld

Headaches are very difficult to point pin.

Firstly, there are few different types of headaches: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Headache/Pages/Introduction.aspx

The most common is a tension headache:

The exact cause is unclear, but tension headaches have been linked to things such as stress, poor posture, skipping meals and dehydration.

I have two suggestions, firstly make sure you are getting the right amount of calories. Double check you calculations. Secondly, up your fluid intake. These two issues might help the headaches. If not please let me know. Good luck.

Hi

Can you let me know how much Huel you had? Also, what else and approx when did you eat that day?

Hi, thanks for the advice. I’d had muesli for breakfast at around 8, than pasta for lunch about 1.30. I had the 3 scoops of huel at about half 6, when I would normally eat. Drinking about 2 litres of water a day. I’ll keep trying with the huel this weekend and see what happens.

OK, please keep a food diary so we can try to pinpoint something.

Hopefully they will not happen again

Hi.

I am here to respond saying that Huel can absolutely cause headaches.

I have been trying and testing Huel for a month under different circumstances and am now certain that I get an intense headache about 20-30 mins after I consume it. I have eliminated every other possible reason for the headaches, Huel is the only common denominator in all sets of conditions I tested it in (as first/second/third meal, no caffeine all day, sufficient calories and water consumed in addition to Huel, etc.)

I have scoured the forum for similar experiences, and some people report that switching from vanilla to unflavoured gets rid of the headaches. I have tried to request a sample of the unflavoured Huel from the customer support team and was told this is impossible. I am not about to buy a minimum of 2 bags of a product that may still give me headaches and am therefore giving up Huel, after a month of headaches, with nothing but bad experience and wasted money to show for it.

I sincerely hope that someone looks into this issue, as multiple people have reported headaches, only to be told “it must be something else, like your water intake or nutrition”. It’s not. It’s your product. Look into it.

I can’t speak about the headaches you are experiencing as it isn’t my area, however any unopened pouches you receive can be returned to us for a refund or exchange. Our returns/refund policy and instructions can be found here: https://huel.com/pages/refund-policy.

There such a thing as a sucrolose headache. Look it up.