Space food is nasa not on this shiz nizz?

I was thinking, is this not the future of space food? I mean its perfect right dry powder mix with h20 and you could realistically recycle packaging.

2 Likes

Space food needs to not be in powders or even make any crumbs. Unfortunately Huel in its current form would be very tricky, as the fine powder would float off and get into all of the equipment.

2 Likes

As @bakerwrites says, powder isn’t ideal for space food as far as I’m aware. However, a Huel bar could be, you never know…

Although I’m sure Astronauts also have massively different nutritional requirements which could cause an issue.

2 Likes

Astronauts have almost the exact same nutritional requirements. Minor tweaks, like less iron (bone density issues). But think about it, Huel is food. Astronauts eat food…

1 Like

I would have assumed things like less iron would have been more of an impact in space, so their diets would be more closely controlled. Although I can’t say I’ve looked much into the subject :laughing:

1 Like

Of course their diets are more closely controlled. Huel would make that easier, not more difficult.

(And contrary to common perception, astronauts require less iron, not more.)

1 Like

In terms of calories of course! But I would have thought they’d want closer control over the micros too so would go with different foods.As I say though, I’ve no idea, just what my immediate thought was.

1 Like

Interesting facts about Space food. The underlying point: NASA strives to make astronauts’ diet as close to regular food as possible.

1 Like

Is it just me, or is anyone else here now trying to picture what it would look like if Huel escaped from the bottle in zero gravity?

Personally, I think @Julian should set aside a budget to send @TimOfficeHuel and @Gulliver_Huel into a zero gravity simulator so they can squirt Huel into each others mouths from opposite ends. I would actually pay to watch video footage of this. One of them is bound to end up with it splattered over their face, and if that’s not YouTube worthy I don’t know what is.

Of course, it would also be important research…ah-hem…

3 Likes

Huel can be a space food. There exist an eatable/water-soluble plastic packages, inside which we can contain huel. The problem is how we will add Huel pack to water in the 0 gravity. Opening a bottle and adding the Huel package will not be as easy. But eaven without this we can stil make a Huel by making doser or adding/mixing mashine, then are few things to do: The mashine (of course), new type of Huel package that will be compatible with that mashine, a botle that conect with doser without droping anything and ofcourse a new type of Huel powder special for astronauts. I think food like Huel is the future of food in space.

Quinoa has reached NASA but is becoming inaccessible for Andean consumers. “According to the FAO, quinoa is the grain crop with the most nutrients per 100 calories. It has no cholesterol and does not cause allergies. It is so nutritious that NASA feeds it to crews on long space missions. It is a natural, healthy and easily-grown food.”

Post is 6 years old.