(Update: Reduced to £3) £7 Shipping to Northern Ireland

It’s been great to see the debate on here re the shipping charges. I suppose it comes down to, for me, a feeling of unfairness. That because I live in Northern Ireland, part of the UK, I have to pay full shipping charges whilst customers in GB mainland are subsidised.
I don’t expect or demand free shipping, I would just like NI to be treated equitably.
This is not a deal breaker for me by any means, I really enjoy huel and believe it is helping me become much healthier.
Appreciate all the responses to date.

1 Like

I think it’s important to point out that Huel would also be subsidising yours and every other UK offshore delivery. DPD Charge a lot more than £7 to NI, because it’s not financially viable for them to do it cheaper and they need to make a profit, as do Huel. Royal Mail however would be making a loss on this, or through sheer volume and their established infrastructure maybe breaking even. There is a water crossing involved. In an ideal world all companies would be able to (or maybe even required to) factor in these costs and make a slight increase for everyone, so that standard charges across the board apply within the same national boundaries but these guys are a new company and the fact that they are actively on their own message boards and listening to people makes me think they will eventually work their way around this as the company evolves.

2 Likes

Just to clear all deliveries are subsidised by exactly the same amount, ande make no profit on shipping charges.

We lost on ALL orders of 28 meals and under to NI, Scottish Islands, etc for the first year of Huel because we didn’t have the ability to charge the correct price for these “out of area” regions as shopify treated all areas of the UK as one. Therefore NI have been extra subsided for one year and is now subsided by exactly the same as all countries, including the UK mainland.

2 Likes

Hi Julian, thanks for the reply. I’m sure you can appreciate how it make look on the o/s looking in. But I understand the potion. As I’d said previously, it wouldn’t discourage me from ordering.

1 Like

Just stopped my order because of the £7 shipping. I’ll be looking for an alternative.

There is no reason you have to charge NI customers £7, none. So many other companies don’t charge think this, it just seems that you haven’t put effort into finding a solution.

So disappointing.

Most logistics appear to class this as ‘offshore’ which is simply ridiculous but not Huels fault or of their creation. To comment that they’ve done nothing about it is a little unfair.

1 Like

I said they haven’t put in the effort, not that they hadn’t done anything.

How can I order the equivalent in nano from the Netherlands with no shipping costs when it’s farther away?

I sent a package to Australia last week for £12!!

Btw… I only had an issue with unnecessary shipping costs, I haven’t even tried Huel yet.

Having used pretty much all the well known courier companies in the UK, the sad fact is most of them are pretty unreliable.

I used to use Citilink who were good, and more recently DPD cos they had a good pre-12 noon next day service which I needed.

Some are shockingly bad…I won’t name them, but one sounds like a viral disease, but seems far worse and another a bunch of Swiss blokes singing to each other across the Alps. Interlink seems to work pretty well for Huel. Personally, I like the 1 hr delivery notification, and not once have they missed their prediction when I’ve ordered Huel…although I expect they do, and probably will next time now I mentioned it. Alas if they aren’t cost effective to NI that is tricky. I’ve no idea on how much profit Huel makes on a 28 day supply, but if they find themselves losing out on every order by free shipping then it is a poor business model. On the other hand the damage to business reputation by crappy and unreliable couriers is also to be noted.

Shipping across water is never gonna be cheap and someone somewhere has to pay for it whether it is the customer (enduser) or the sender.

Perhaps if/when Huel has a massive pan-European customer base the logistic will be easier…

I understand that, unfortunately Huel have decided that it is their customers in Northern Ireland who will pay for it, unlike other companies who have worked out a solution that doesn’t lead to Northern Ireland customers being ripped off.

If it’s ever sorted out I’ll give Huel a try. I’ve just ordered my first batch of Nano so will see how that goes.

Thanks for the responses everyone and good luck!

@pd123 we make not profit on the delivery price, in fact we contribute to it.

Hi All!

This has now been reduced to £3!

The shipping rates are not set by us and we actually contribute to the delivery cost of every order. We want to lower or remove these rates completely, but we don’t currently have the clout that other larger companies have to do so. Over time we will continue to try and lower these costs, for now you can find the new reduced rates on our Delivery Questions page.

Hope this helps you out!

I genuinely appreciate your efforts on this subject. Hopefully your success will see it come down further to a parity with the mainland.

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

I’ve just ordered the sample via amazon and was able to get free delivery to NI as I already have Prime. Not sure if people know about that being an option or not, thought I’d post anyway.

1 Like

Hi,

just bringing this up as the price of shipping in Northern Ireland went back up to 5.5£!!

I have checked on Amazon and I could find only vanilla and unflavoured.

If you could make more Huel products available on Amazon.co.uk, this would help customers in NI to overcome this issue, at least until you will be able to find a cheaper carrier.

I hope you will be able to do something about this as this makes the purchase significantly more expensive. :frowning_face: .

Thanks