What percentage of huel is raw?

If the public is more interested in raw vegan diets these days isn’t it worth while making it publicly known what percentage by weight and or volume is raw? (eg the oats and the linseed)

1 Like

Hey Nick,

I actually looked into this a while ago. None of the main 6 ingredients are cooked. The vitamin and mineral blend, however, is heated to a temperature which I would presume people to believe is ‘cooked’.

If it is heated to less than 40C it will still qualify as raw…dunno if that helps.

Yeah that’s what I thought. So the vitamin and mineral blend wouldn’t count as raw, the rest would.

With the main ingredients being raw, I don’t understand how our digestive systems can derive the maximum nutritional value from it. Surely it is far more optimal to eat cooked food?

My understanding is that cooking food unravels the proteins making them fully accessible to our digestive systems, and the ability to cook food has played a key part in human evolution (e.g. development of the brain) and advancement.

I’ve also seen documentaries where they investigate and compare what happens in the digestive system when, for example, eating a raw carrot vs. what happens when eating a cooked carrot. If I remember correctly, when eating raw food, only a small percentage of the nutritional value (e.g. 5%) is attained compared to a majority (e.g. 95%) when the food is cooked.

By being raw, does it mean that the volume of Huel consumed has to be much greater than it would otherwise be?

1 Like

Maybe we need @JamesCollier to give his view on this.

Most of the ingredients are raw. The ingredients have been through processes to make them into a powder.

In many cases with raw veg, nutrition can be higher as labile micronutrients are lost in cooking.

2 Likes

Hi, Eldrin. Just wanted to share that there often times, are some discrepancies with modern research, which doesn’t always take everything into account before posting it’s findings. It’s like reporting on only one side of an elephant, for various reasons (Knowledge base) or motives (Look at who’s funding it). What that particular documentary you’ve referenced may not have considered is, ones existing nutrient-buddies in the body, in order to properly break down nutrients, such as Vit. D, enzymes and probiotics. Most modern S.A.D. foods along with many common medical practices, deplete our bodies natural balanced enzyme and probiotic levels.

So it’s important to consider the vit. D-probiotic-enzyme factor, one had prior to (& during) undergoing such studies of cooked foods vs. raw. Until we can send a crew to time travel before cooking food became mainstream, or do serious research with regional areas of our world where people eat exclusively raw foods, or have benevolent funding to study ones modern enzyme deficient cooked food lifestyle switched to raw and how long it takes to rebuild the needed enzymes & probiotics to properly digest food… we cannot claim that by cooking foods in general, that it’s better or more effective for nutrient absorption.

So far, more research is pointing to a reestablished probiotic & enzymatic foundation, with plenty of Vit D, as being the crucial key to proper nutrient digestion.