Finer grade flaxseed, for a smoother experience

Are these boxes holding a full pouch of Huel each? If so @Steve_Butler, you may have just find your answer!

Yes Iā€™ll have to try and clear some cupboard space so that the light doesnā€™t get to it. I believe I read somewhere that Huel needs to be stored in the dark. Is that correct?

Thatā€™s correct. Like any dry produce, in a dark, cool place out of direct sunlight :thumbsup:

I can confirm these hold a full pouch of huel. Also the smaller one on the right side of the larger ones fits perfectly over the top of the huel shaker which significantly reduces the chances of spilling any powder :slight_smile:

Thanks. Iā€™ll pop to Tesco tomorrow and pick one up.

Interesting; I noticed my latest order of Huel always has a few lumps in my mixes whereas I never had an issue with my previous (first) order. This is the 2774 batch.

Anyone else who manually-shakes noticed this?

1 Like

Search term you want is ā€œcanisterā€ ā€“ Pretty red one, or 2.2L with window perhaps?

Hi

I am very disappointed with the new version. I liked the bitty flaxseed bits and found this made the experience and taste enjoyable. I also think the taste has changed slightly. I have ordered a months worth and regret getting so much as I donā€™t think Iā€™ll want to continue with it to be honest. If there is an option to get the older version with larger flaxseed I would continue with it.

I just tried U/U batch 2723 and I like the change.

I must admit that I have never found any problems with the original. I just mix it in the Huel mixer. Lovely!

Hi there i had to stopped due to heavy bloating issue i did ask if i cud get a refund but no response
Hope to get a feedback on what to do next

The smoother version has actually meant that Iā€™ve been able to convert a few folk at work!

Theyā€™d been put off by the old one looking a bit seedy.

Batch 2807 arrived Tuesday, after a few mixes I can say given the same amount of water, the new version seems thinner/more watery/less body (compared to Batch 2736). Iā€™ll probably get used to it, but to me, itā€™s marginally less enjoyable.

I agree but I think the people who are loving it outnumber us!

That kind of explains itā€“I get wicked stomachaches with chocolate and choco-mint, but none with vanilla. Itā€™s like the flaxseed shells are scraping my guts.
Understanding that Iā€™d have to supplement fiber if I did this, is there any way to sift the flaxseed out of the choco-mint, or at least have less of it? Iā€™ve noticed that if I donā€™t shake my bag really well they tend to ā€˜floatā€™ to the top.

This topic is three years old. I donā€™t think this is whatā€™s causing your stomachaches. Maybe itā€™s the chocolate flavouring?

1 Like

Possible, I suppose. Itā€™s a sharp feeling across below the ribs, so intestine rather than stomach, but definitely sharp. And it doesnā€™t happen with the vanilla. Hydrating like Iā€™m supposed to helps, but it doesnā€™t prevent it fully.

it only mentions those flavours in the old article because at the time, thats the only flavours there were. Since then it has been reformulated twice and new flavours added so its unlikely they use different grades of flaxseeds in different flavours.

Why dont you replace the flax seeds with flax seed oil? Flax seed oil does not contain cyanide unlike flax seeds.

For one thing, thereā€™s fibre in flax seeds, and you wouldnā€™t get that with oil.

Huel wrote a thing about them:

Flaxseed cyanide content has surfaced recently from the health warning from the Swedish ā€˜National Food Authorityā€™ (NFA) who highlighted what is claimed to be a potential risk of cyanide poisoning from flaxseed if consumption exceeds two teaspoons per day[47]. The warning was released to the public to make consumers aware that flaxseed can produce HCN. However, the report also states (translated):

ā€˜is very unlikely that you get in such a dose over crushed flaxseed. Acute poisoning symptoms can include headache, nausea, dizziness, confusion and numbness. Serious hydrogen cyanide poisoning can affect breathing. There are no published reports of acute hydrogen cyanide poisoning caused by crushed flaxseedā€™[47].

While itā€™s essential to be aware of potential food toxicity, in this instance, the warning is overly cautious and unnecessary. Sweden is the only country globally that has raised a concern regarding HCN levels in flaxseed. To support this evaluation, studies in 2008 and 2009 concluded that 40g of flaxseed per day saw the participants achieve the maximum health benefits without any adverse effects[48]. Also studies in 1995 and 1994 showed observations in improved health status in all participants who consumed 50g of raw flaxseed per day[48]; improvements were particularly noted in cardiovascular and respiratory health, improved blood glucose and cholesterol ratios, improved digestive health and weight compared with those who did not consume flaxseed. Furthermore, there was no reported incidence of toxicity[6, 7, 48].

1 Like