Strawberry n Cream flavour

I have the strawberry n cream flavour and for me the taste is great. BUT when you open the packet or even the cupboard its kept in the smell permeates the whole room for a long time! Other flavours don’t so why this one?

This is from Steffi, the Huel New Product Manager:

Thanks for the comments on the strawberries and cream flavour pouch, we’ve taken them on board and spent today getting to the bottom of why some are experiencing different smells and aromas. Firstly, I’m Steffi and am the New Product Development Manager for Huel. My role is to create tasty new products for the Huel range.

Brief explanation:
With the Strawberries and Cream flavour boost, what’s happening is that the strong cream flavours are more easily evaporated than the natural strawberry so you smell these first in the top of the pouch. The batch isn’t defective and it’s just the powerful cream aromas coming through first that some are smelling as slightly cheesy.

Or, for those of you who want some more in-depth info:
In order to provide optimum flavour delivery of this new pouch we have used a highly impactful natural flavour which has resulted in the aroma being stronger than our other flavour pouches. To get the flavour of cream through the strawberry, the ratio of cream is higher than the strawberry. The cream components have a lower vapour pressure than the strawberry components, thus these notes will fill the headspace of the sachet. Our investigations have shown that in the flavour pouches the creamy notes are more volatile ((this means they are more easily evaporated, not that they are subject to change unpredictably) and move faster so are smelt first. Therefore, on opening, the user will get a ‘hit’ of lactic notes that could be interpreted as cream, milk, cheese, etc, but these will soon dissipate to give the more rounded strawberry and cream smell.

All this together results in a strong cream aroma that some of you may perceive as slightly cheesy. Everyone is different so they will detect and perceive things slightly differently which explains why some of you have experienced this and others haven’t. I can assure you that this is not a defective batch.

If you’d like more strawberry notes maybe blend in some fresh or frozen strawberries. As always Huel is best served ice cold.

Binned mine this morning, the smell was getting to everything.

Likewise, stank out the office and I was bullied into binning it. This needs a warning on the web page before purchase as it’s pretty overpowering!

I experienced this so badly that my entire kitchen started to smell a bit like sick… I really didn’t want to throw it away because it tasted fine, just smelt disgusting!

I managed to solve it though - I transferred the powder into an air tight jar (a ball jar with a two part lid), and the smell is completely gone!

I’m glad it isn’t just me who experienced this. We work in a small office and my Huel routine is usually pretty non-invasive. I, too, noticed the smell was intense when first opening the packet, but put this down to a bit of spillage. A month later and I’ve had to put the sealed packet in a Tupperware container, and still it’s the first thing we smell when we come into the office!

I want to emphasise that the taste is actually pretty good, but I daren’t open the packet again for fear of stinking out the office again :smile:

It’s been variously described as cheese, cream (good!) and… stinky feet with air freshener sprayed on them!

Lovely flavour, but handle with care!