2 weeks of having huel and my STOMACH šŸ˜§

Hi

This is my second full week of Huel
However I am only having huel for breakfast
My stomach seems to always hurt/cramp every few hours
There is a lot of flatulence which smells terrible and Iā€™ve never had an unbearable smell of flatulence(I understand usually they do smell but since huel itā€™s literally disgusting - sorry for being impolite)
My bowel movements are once every day but itā€™s not a normal one well itā€™s a little more softer but now when I have to go I have to go

Iā€™m really struggling with this part of huel and not sure what to do
Like Iā€™ve just woken up and I have a stomach ache this is usually the case every single day and the stomach ache happens throughout the day random times

:frowning: sorry for such an open post but just wondering if anyone else is or has been on the same boat

Any advice would be appreciated

2 Likes

Hey!

I saw the title of your post and was like, ā€œYes! Someone is having the same problems as meā€ (as bad as that sounds :see_no_evil:)
But no, honestly, Iā€™ve been having Huel for lunch everyday with a normal meal for my dinner and I just have the worst bloating ever.
Iā€™m actually jealous that youā€™ve been to the toilet!

I hope things get better for you. Iā€™m seriously contemplating whether to just give up or not :confused:

1 Like

Check my latest posts! Youā€™re not alone.

Missymullins and JCW thank you for your responses

I think Iā€™m going to go on a huel break and see if things go back to normal

Iā€™ll be returning the unopened bag of huel in hope they take it back and the other bag Iā€™ll keep or give to two of my colleague who are also taking huel and have had no issues

Itā€™s constantly giving me stomach pain and feeling like I need to go to the loo

Iā€™ve never had an issue with IBS so didnā€™t think this would be an issue

Nothing major has changed in my diet except huel for breakfast so a little concerned what could be happening

I hope things are better for you both with huel - keep writing it will be nice to know how you guys are getting on and hopefully better experience than me! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Donā€™t know if this is of any use (and if youā€™re in pain then you know your own body, listen to it), but it took me about 3 or 4 weeks to fully adjust to Huel. Iā€™ve always been on 1-2 shakes a day and an evening meal, and the bloating and gas was real. But it all just kind of settled over time. When Iā€™ve dieted before, or started really properly running, or started drinking milk again after a long diet, or switched from winter food (carbs) to summer food (salads), Iā€™ve had this too. I think most people donā€™t have enough fibre in their diet, and Huel suddenly gives you a lot of high quality fibre of a couple types. Also itā€™s a lot more liquid. Also itā€™s just new. The first time I started running and switched to salads and smoothies I was having the worst cramps and even went to my doctor (didnā€™t think it was related to food it was so bad) and he was, like, ā€œthis happens every Summer when people start eating vegetables and meat - dietry change can give you all sorts of symptoms.ā€ So, yeah, listen to your body - if you feel weak, dizzy, overly tired, or in pain that is acute or doesnā€™t subside, then stop (this applies to all things!). But if youā€™re just bloated and gassy youā€™ll get there I reckon! (and, for me, itā€™s been totally worth it. Now thereā€™s nothing like any of this, Huel is just really convenient and healthy food. Switching to UU and flavouring it myself helped too).

4 Likes

Hi

Thank you for your response
I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I mean worst case scenario if I canā€™t carry on I have colleagues which are also huel-ing so I could pass the powder on to them.

I just donā€™t know if this time will pass with random stomach pain/cramps

Im generally not having huel to lose weight for me itā€™s just an added supplement if you like but for breakfast. So I donā€™t know if itā€™s other foods interfering with huel which is confusing the gut/stomach.

But I will see it through for another two weeks and see what happens :confused:

Thank you for your response and reading :smiley:

1 Like

ā€œwho are taking Huelā€

Huel is not some kind of drug. Youā€™re not taking Huel, youā€™re consuming it, drinking it, eating it.

Out of interest, what mixture have you been using? When I was making Huel too thick Iā€™d experience similar to what you describe. I started having 2 x 3 scoop shakes in the morning instead of 1 x 4 scoop shakes and the issue went away a little bit. I do however still get a ā€˜blow outā€™ once a week where Iā€™ll get agonising stomach pains and my body will ā€˜evacuateā€™ gloopy, Huel like stool. (sorry, grossā€¦).

As of last week Iā€™ve gone back to normal food with plenty of milk, chicken and veggies and am finding it a lot better. Iā€™m very grateful to Huel as itā€™s highlighted to me a lot of nutritional issues with previous diets, but Iā€™m really not sure human bodies are designed to cope with this slurry being poured down them 3 x a day :frowning:

Hi

Iā€™m having two scoops with soya coconut milk but only for breakfast

I then tried two scoops with just water but only for breakfast

Still same issues to be honest. As Iā€™m replying to your post Iā€™ve got a stomach ache and the feeling that I need to go release my bowels but Iā€™ve already done so. :frowning:

Itā€™s deffo taking a toll on my stomach

Damn :frowning:

I guess your only options are either a ā€˜competitor productā€™, or going off Huel onto ā€˜proper foodā€™!

yup GTIPuG

I am struggling with huel one part of me wants to stay on it and the other is just no no get off it :roll_eyes::see_no_evil:

I ended up having to take Dulcolax on Sunday because nothing was happening. I havenā€™t had any more Huel since Friday and my body still doesnā€™t feel great.
I just feel like itā€™s completely thrown me. My body feels sluggish and full. Not attractive at all.
Itā€™s a shame because I enjoy the shakes and itā€™s so convenient for lunch but I just donā€™t know what to do.

The symptoms you describe are common for most people who eat any wheat products. I started with huel and after 2 weeks did an entire month just on huel and no other foods as an experiment.

I use the GLUTEN free huel and the most amazing thing was my existing bloated stomach and IBS was curedā€¦

I now only use Huel for breakfast but still avoid any other wheat prodcuts in my diet no more IBS.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t get on with normal Huel and had the same issue , I get on MUCH better with Gluten free Huel despite me not having any issues normally with gluten so not sure why but the switch worked for me

2 Likes

BTW, the forum is full of feedback just like this. So youā€™re definitely not alone.
Usually it goes away after an adjustment period, sometimes - no.
I hope it gets better for you.

Iā€™m a new-ish Huel user, Iā€™m at the end of my 4th bag 2nd order and ~5th week. I normally have an extremely fragile gutā€¦ Iā€™ve played around with a few things and have gotten to a good place where my system is in sync with the inclusion of Huel my diet. I find Huel is more disruptive when taken by itself, in large qty (more than 3 scoop servings) and without an almost equal qty of water.

It takes some adjustments, but can be done stomach disruption free.

1 Like

Hi,

Before integrating Huel into my diet I switched from a pretty standard ready meal diet to one which was more clean. Think Chicken and kale.

Even this switch gave me issues but after a month weeks I found I adjusted. I think most peoples bodies need a period of adjustment.

I use the GLUTEN free huel and the most amazing thing was my existing bloated stomach and IBS was cured.

I have UC, and the gluten free Huel has made a hug improvement in bowel function and bloating. I poop normally (I know), and the six months pregnant stomach has all but disappeared.

Iā€™ve lost regular gym routine due to work pressures, but i was beginning to see the vaguest, vaguest outline of abs.

Iā€™m the opposite end, and always found dinner just too much food for the day. I replaced it with huel, and always feel almost completely satiated except for my sweet tooth sometimes getting the better of me.

I hope to agree with you (first day), and I read the forums A LOT for tips before I started, so that I am as fully prepared as possible. I usually have alternating IBS-D and IBS-C which I diet control as much as possible.

Iā€™m wondering if the stomach pains and bloating many people have described are actually wind and if it may correlate to the speed at which it is consumed and/or the amount of air which is consumed in the ā€˜mouthfulā€™? Just a thoughtā€¦

So far, from what I have read, considered and made an informed decision about, the issues are not so much the product, rather, I think it may be complications related to ā€˜howā€™ the product is used/consumedā€¦?

Peppermint,Fennel tea or plain hot water are excellent remedies ā€˜for meā€™ to relieve gas, bloating, wind pain, gas cramps. I also take microbiotic capsules daily. Of course, every one is different and not everyone is partial to herbal teas. I think it is down to each individual taking the time to consider what could work for them.