A New Beginning (Weight Loss)

I might try poached egg on my Tomato and Herb H&S. I reckon it would work well.

For anyone interested in the latest science behind nutrition, can I really, really recommend the books written by Professor Tim Spector of Kings College London? I took part in his Predict study analysing the effect of our gut microbes on weight and many other aspects of our health. His latest book, Spoon Fed, looks at how many of our widely-held food attitudes are myths. Not saying anything here is wrong, but what he says (backed up by his own and many other studies) is really eye-opening.

1 Like

So much of what he has said is great but he has problems, in my opinion, when it comes to oil.

Different oils will have different optimum temperatures and that is simply a fact. He seems to gloss over all that and just promote his own way xtra virgin olive oil. It’s a shame.

So much of hi stuff about fibre and composition is absolutely excellent. Just ignore his crap about oil.

If you want something fried at a very high heat then olive oil will not be your friend. So searing steaks or sides of roasts doesn’t work. Much better off using either something like crisp n dry or a generic sunflower oil.

1 Like

Hi @Blobbymatt, Matt you have done so well in the past. A wee hickup is not too bad. I no when you fall off an eating plan it can be so difficult to get into the right frame of mind to start back again.

If I still feel hungry i make myself a wee 50g portion of huel and add a spoon of cacoa nibs for crunch. This is usually enough to keep me going to next meal.
We are all here to support you so one day at a time. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Huel H&S tomato and herb goes great with egg. Probably the tastyest healthiest 560 calorie meal I’ve eaten.

5 Likes

That looks delicious! Great discovery. Are the savoury meals worth it?

For me personally, high carb/sugar foods just make me hungry (aside from potatoes which are super filling). I could eat half a slice pan and I’d be hungry again in an hour! So I avoid those or else I am guaranteed to fall off the wagon and put on weight/maintain weight.

Maybe try huel for breakfast and then cook your meals later. It is as quick as toast but will up your calories a little and add more protein.

Boiled and poached eggs are the way to go in terms of eating something with protein that is quick to eat and filling. Poached chicken is super quick to make with a little practice. Have a look online for the method. Cook up some of this with a pile of veggie for a great meal. I’d say that would be great on top of your huel too.

1 Like

So much for a weekly blog, but over the last 2 weeks I have lost 3.2kg. Apart form the odd slice of pizza stollen off my wife, I have largely stuck to the 1600 kcals a day. I have also decided to fish my old rowing machine out of the garage. Its old and doesn’t work very well but every little helps. Hopefully this will burn a few extra calories starting today while lowering the effect of muscle loss when dieting.

For those of you who are interested, here are the stats:

2 weeks ago:

Today:

Weight: 125.5kg (20st 3.7lb)
BMI: 33.7
Body Fat 30.6%

3 Likes

Well done Matt. That’s good progress. :blush:

2 Likes

We all want to see your numbers heading in the right direction.

And they are.

You keep going mate, brilliant work and as you say, every little bit of extra exercise or dropping something junk will help.

Perfect example from my own experience - every Saturday I have steak. I used to have steak, chips and peas as my treat. Now I have steak, mustard mash and spinach with asparagus and onion slices.

Difference per meal? Very minor, over the course of a year though? It adds up.

You keep going man, you’ve got this and we are all with you.

3 Likes

So another 2 weeks have gone by and its been one hell of a roller coster. Ive gained 2.1kg but im going to let myself off, as i ended up having emergency surgery 11 days ago, as my gallbladder wanted to kill me. On the plus side, i’ve been told i can start to exercise again come Saturday and have managed to claw myself back onto my diet after eating unhealthy while recovering. Here’s for a better 2 weeks to come.

:crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

2 weeks ago:

Today:
weight: 127.6kg (20st 1.3lb)
BMI: 34.3
Body Fat: 31.4%

2 Likes

Good luck! You can do this :+1:

1 Like

Aw that’s rotten news Matt. Hope your on the mend. I would not bother with your weight at the moment and just go into recovery phase first. Dont be too hard on yourself. Take care :strawberry::coconut::banana:

1 Like

Also good news as the emergency surgery saved his life! :grin:

2 Likes

The doctor said i should be back to normal after 2 weeks so I’ve got my diet back on track and plan to start the exercise again after the 2 weeks have elapsed. I think if i leave it to long i won’t go back on the diet.

2 Likes

Ah
who needs a gallbladder anyway? My missus had hers removed years ago and she’s not needed it since.

1 Like

Well said :smiley:

You gotta be careful with fatty foods at first, but no doubt you’ve been filled in on that.

1 Like

Depends how high up your gallb is.

2 Likes

Good point, I just use Steps. They’re not doing much else these days.

2 Likes