A vegan coming to Huel, my fat loss goals & experience review

So I received my first 2 bags of Huel Vanilla two days ago.

The powder blend better than what I’ve expected in the shaker when following the instructions in the booklet.

And it’s quite filling for satiety, I like it a lot.

My goal is fat loss, getting rid of my “love handles” which are disgraceful on a man. That’s why I’m posting this in “Weight loss” and not in “Experiences”.

I’m vegan since one year now, and practice intense super-slow strength training once a week. I already lost 8 kg while gaining muscle while doing this during the year. But the love handles remains.

I started intermittent fasting (20/4) 4 monthes ago, but I more than sometimes have some binge eatings with a lot of sweets and fat.

My goal is to use Huel as a second meal replacement (I usually have 2 meals in my 4 hours window), for break-fast OR as a “dessert”, sweet second meal. I use frozen pieces of banana I cut as ice-cubes for easy shaking, will try with frozen berries too soon.

I’ve ordered some creatine monohydrate, which has been proven to be beneficial for vegans, for cognitive performances and muscle building.

As an aside, I supplement myself with the Veg1 from the Vegan Society for B12, D3, and other nutrients.

And I’m currently improving my diet to include more legumes than before (important for vegans) and drastically reduce bread.

I also have a bit of skin issue since a few weeks ago, I scratch myself, it’s itchy, mostly in the legs… it started way before using Huel, I have no clue where they may come from, but I’ve read that some people have better skin with Huel. We’ll see.

That’s it for now, if you have any advices, suggestions, encouragements, please share them! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve been vegan for 30 years this year…its easier these days. While not adverse to vitamin supplements, I have never really used them…apart from sublingual B12 in both forms. I did try creatine for a while about 6 or 7 years ago.

I rarely eat bread, although I did eat lots for many years.

For now, most days I eat 2 Huel meals a day 100g in 500ml liquid and an evening meal. I have cut down on snacking…crisps and things like Nakd/Trek bars were quite often in my diet every day. I did lapse back to crisps over “Crispmas” as well as less Huel,but have stopped eating them again.

4 Likes

mmmmmmmmm, crisps. my biggest weakness.

1 Like

30 years! Congratulations. It certainly wasn’t as easy those days as it is today!
Did you stop using creatine then? Didn’t you see any benefit into it?

1 Like

I didn’t see/feel any benefit in creatine, but following your post I am actuallytempted to re-examine its use…I am older now so benefits may be more noticeable I guess.

I’ve been vegetarian 20 years, I’ve just this year moved to being vegan - mostly because Huel makes it so much easier for me.

I eat Huel for at least 2/3 of my calories, often 100%. Because of that I don’t take any supplement except B12 and D, both daily regular doses.

I’m also training for a half marathon in about 7 weeks and trying to lose 13-15KG. Weight which has stubbornly not moved in 8 long years now.

My current nutrition regime is resulting in weight loss of over 1KG per week if I stick to Huel without binging on some carbs I find in the cupboard!

I’d be interested to know more about any supplements you take, especially creatine. I do 3-4 body weight cross trying workouts of 30m each per week as well as the running which is around 30K per week at the moment.

The possible hair loss from creatine gives me the fear though…

1 Like

Congratulations on going vegan!

My supplement stack for now is:

• Klamath alguae
  • A natural stem cell booster
  • A multi-mineral from dried sea water (I’m a commercial representative of the sociey who sells those 3 firsts supplements)
  • Veg1 from the Vegan Sociey
  • Creatine

About creatine-related hair-loss:
Creatine has been implicated once in increasing DHT. The study has not been replicated, and direct studies between creatine and hair loss have not been conducted.

If you’re on a caloric deficit I’d advise you to make your own researches about what running imply: not building muscle, allowing your body to tap into muscular tissu for energy, as well as nerves and bones then.

On a caloric deficit, resistance training is much more beneficial, and efficient, especially for post-workout calorie burning.

“Body By Science” explains everything (and more).

Best thing is it is a fraction of the price it was back in the day :slight_smile:

1 Like