Age limit

is there a minimum age for hull usage and if not do you need to adjust scoop amount by age for level of calorie intake at the specified age

I’ve never been refused entry based on my age, I think you’ll be alright. It’s a welcoming city.

7 Likes

Minimum age, probably not.
Personally, I wonder how it is regarding the ‘kids’ in this matter.
Certain nutrients will be needed more (or less) for every 100 kcal (so to say) for kids,
compared to what an adult needs for the same ‘health’.
This, simply, because kids are still growing and developing, whereas adults are full grown.
That should be taken into consideration, so I am not sure what this means for Huel consumption.

:joy:thank you for your welcome

2 Likes

i will just keep letting them have some of mine ( not as a meal replacement)as they seem to like apparently we are trying an oreo huel tomorrow and a strawberry and oreo on thursday

Can’t say any more than my personal thoughts, so you’ll have to contact Huel customer support to be sure.
Makes me interested in the answer anyway, so hope some answer will be mentioned here. :slight_smile:

As far as I know there’s not much guidance on the difference in nutritional requirements of children/young adults. I’ll wait for someone who knows more about nutrition to come and correct me.

Don’t forget though, kids are brought up on all sorts of rubbish like chicken nuggets and pizza so I don’t think Huel could ever be any worse than that, in any amount. I started a thread about this once, try to find it using the search function. Most objections made seemed to be on a moral basis

2 Likes

True, but I was taking a stance from “the ideal” point of view.
But yes, Huel would be no problem compared to many common ways.

1 Like

Ha ha, you’ll get used to it! :blush:

Was that the thread that went on to discuss giving Huel to cats?

1 Like

The nutritional needs for children are different: they need different calorie intakes (it would be impossible to set an average). They need different levels of proteins and carbs as they are growing. And the RDAs on the Huel packaging wouldn’t apply due to all of the above.

Therefore it wouldn’t be possible to feed it to them as a complete food.
But my own personal opinion is there’s no harm in letting them have it once a day (older children). Younger children (say under 9, but this is a pure guess) I would avoid giving it to them as the vitamin and mineral levels could be too high for their small body weights.

I don’t think it would be possible to create a complete food for children as how would you determine RDAs? What age or weight would you base this on?
And ‘ideal’ nutritional needs change quite frequently throughout childhood.

I doubt it’s harmful to give to kids, in fact it’s probably healthier than what they usually scoff for breakfast and snacks!
But I doubt you’ll get an official answer on whether it’s ‘good’ or ‘ok’ because nutritional needs vary enourmously in children.

1 Like

Surely though, if as Huel says their product is “nutritionally complete food providing you with all 27 essential vitamins and minerals, protein, essential fats, carbs, fibre and phytonutrients” then it is no different than giving your kids whatever else you may eat as a family. Most people don’t have one nutritionally balanced meal for the adults and a different one for the kids (or they didn’t in my day). I appreciate nutritional needs change as kids go through life, but in reality who does that; over 90% of population don’t.

For really young kids, say under 4 yo things may be different but I don’t see issue for older than that. As mentioned earlier surely it is better than KFC and Big Mac style meals, but that’s maybe why most kids today are overweight.

4 Likes

@hunzas yeah I agree completely.
I just think its probably not going to get an official stamp of approval as a complete food for children as the RDAs of everything is way more complicated.
I think - if your kids like it and want to drink it, and are also happy to eat other foods (so you’re not starting them off into a life habit of liquid only foods - kids can get fussy quickly!) then I personally think its absolutely fine to feed it to them. Probably actually healthy to feed it to them.

I just don’t think Huel will be able to recommend it for children as the regulations around this are complicated.
I’m sure I’ve actually seen a post from James stating that Huel is not suitable for children - which would have to be the official recommendation. But that doesnt mean its bad - it just means they can’t legally market it as a complete food for children

2 Likes

Here is the thread that discusses the subject: Why huel could not be recommended for children?

3 Likes

Ah, well it seems James agrees with me pretty much. I am not a nutriticionalistish - heck I can’t even spell it. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It would be a bit unfair to rely on Huel for your child’s nutrition. A massive part of childhood is exploring cooking, meals out, ingredients and different cuisines with your family. For a parent to sling a shaker at their child with some brown sludge in it is a little lazy, don’t you think?

1 Like

Thank f+ck I’m not a parent.

2 Likes

You and me both :joy:

2 Likes

All covered in
Children, Adolescents and Huel

4 Likes

So is shoving a whole packet of jaffa cakes in their hands to keep them quiet :slight_smile:

4 Likes