Alternative to Huel?

Cheryl (my better half) suggested “Man in the High Castle”; an alternative reality rather than future but certainly dystopian. Much of Philip K Dick’s work is dystopian which isn’t surprising if you know about his lifelong mental health problems. Currently on Amazon & upto season 2; I’ve not read the book yet so don’t know how it compares but the tv series is pretty good imho.

Just noticed Cheryl’s watching 3%, a Brazilian dystopian thriller series. Definitely worth a mention. It’s available on Netflix.

1 Like

Thanks…I don’t have time or inclination to watch too much TV…a series takes up too much time…especially American ones which drag on and on and then end unsatisfactorily…but am interested in checking out MIHC…not heard of 3%…will go investigate the too…

1 Like

I have to jump on the chance to recommend a few excellent books

Michael Marshall Smith - Spares
Richard Matheson - I Am Legend (a solid book and a great read, not a Will Smith vehicle)
John Wyndham - Day of the Triffids (I’ve recommended this to a few people in the past, all of them expected a dry and corny old sci-fi, all were happy to be proved wrong by an enjoyable and thought-provoking story).

4 Likes

I know what you mean. The only tv series I find end well are those where the season to season plot arc was planned from the outset. Those where they create a single season then if they get renewed they improvise a second with a virtually independent story hardly ever work, especially as they often cling on to the series if it has good enough ratings, well past when it ought to have ended.

Joss Whedon’s stuff is usually pretty good in this respect, as with Straczynski’s Babylon 5.

As for time, yeah there isn’t really a way around that. I do seem to end up binge watching whole box sets which compresses the experience but still obviously eats up time. I suppose we could park the Earth into a close orbit around a black hole, then pop up to a higher orbit when you need some extra leisure time, but that’s a little impractical right now.

1 Like

Day of Triffids is great book…and the film too…I was too young when I watched it.

Plants have feelings too…(as every non-vegan says to me).

Just watching V for Vendetta! The Road is good and I shall check Equilibrium!

2 Likes

I didn’t watch Babylon 5 when it aired but I did watch it about 5 years ago.

One of the greatest pieces of television ever created!

1 Like

Take charcoal and acidophilus tablets … works for me.

I concur. Apropos the SF genre, for me the absolute best TV series so far is the new Battlestar Galactica - one must start watching from with the 2003 miniseries

Food I think.