Amino acids

Hi does Huel have all essential amino acids?

Huel contains 30.3g of protein for every 100g of Huel.

So yes it does.

Huel containing 30.3g of protein per 100g doesn’t mean that it necessarily contains all essential amino acids - for example, you could take 30.3 grams of l-lysine, and still be deficient in the other 8 essential amino acids.

However, for OP, yes, Huel does have all essential amino acids. They have a section on this topic on their nutrition page, along with a handy table comparing the values in Huel with the RDAs set by the World Health Organisation for a 70kg adult.

2 Likes

“Huel containing 30.3g of protein per 100g doesn’t mean that it necessarily contains all essential amino acids - for example, you could take 30.3 grams of l-lysine, and still be deficient in the other 8 essential amino acids.”

If you were taking 30.3g of l-lysine then aren’t you just taking 30.3g of l-lysine and 0g of protein?

I was under the impression that 1g of protein would comprise at least the following amino acids: 18 milligrams of histidine, 25mg of isoleucine, 25mg methionine + cysteine, 55mg of leucine, 51mg of lysine, 47mg of phenylalanine + tyrosine, 27mg of threonine, 7mg of tryptophan and 32mg of valine.

So for example if you had a food containing 180mg histidine, 250mg of isoleucine, 250mg methionine + cysteine, 550mg of leucine, 551mg of lysine, 470mg of phenylalanine + tyrosine, 270mg of threonine, 70mg of tryptophan, and 320mg of valine then it would have 10g of protein.

However, if you had pretty much the same food but it only contained 35mg of tryptophan, for example, then you’d only have 5g of protein.

Meaning that if Huel has 30.3g of protein then it has at least…the following essential amino acids.

546.4mg Histidine
757.5mg Isoleucine,
757.5mg Methionine+Cysteine
1666.5mg Leucine
1545.3mg Lysine
1424.1mg Phenylalanine + Tyrosine
818.1mg Threonine
212.1mg Tryptophan
969.6mg Valine

Unless I’ve been seriously misunderstanding this for years.

1 Like

Actual amino acid breakdown varies from source to source, so I can’t say for certain. However, a product containing just an isolated amino acid (as in the example in my previous post) would still be considered to contain protein, hence the clarification.

It may well be that any actual protein source that isn’t just isolated amino acids does have at least those quantities, but it isn’t a requirement for a protein necessarily.

3 Likes

Found this from the FDA

“Protein shall not be declared on labels of products that, other than ingredients added solely for technological reasons, contain only individual amino acids”

Not sure whether that’s for food, supplements or both, and don’t know if there’s an EU equivalent.

Ah fair enough. I know that if, for example, they were to add some isolated l-leucine, that would have to be declared, so I’ve always interpreted the rule to be that that is only the case if those amino acids would be the sole source of protein. Nonetheless, I may be wrong - I’ll look for an EU equivalent.

1 Like

Thank you for your replys, I was told by a nutritionist that most foods do not contain all amino acids she explained that hemp is one of the few vegan foods to contain them all. Although I’m happy to hear that Huel contains all amino acids.

I initially only went Huel for breakfast I loved it so much that I now also do it for lunch and dinner. My energy has skyrocketed and my crohns has calmed down.

Delicious, nutritious and cruelty free.

Everyone should go Huel.

2 Likes

Curious to know whether there have been any independent lab tests verifying the contents of Huel and whether it meets the claims on the label. I’m a big fan of Huel and in no way suggesting there is anything untoward, but it would be nice to see how accurate those numbers on the label are re vitamin/mineral content.

If you mean have Huel commissioned independent testing, as I understand it, not to date, for reasons of cost.

Huel do, however, go further than most such companies who compile their contents based on what their suppliers tell them is in the component parts of the product. Huel instead have these tested themselves.

@Tim_Huel could you kindly respond

The main ingredients in Huel is oats, pea protein and rice protein. That makes Huel’s amino acid profile pretty much optimal.

I drink Aloe Vera daily to get my 20 out of 27 amino acids. Don’t notice much of a difference in my energy levels, but my skin, joints and digestion certainly benefit!

Icy has pretty much said it for me! Huel contains all essential amino acids.

giphy-downsized

2 Likes

@Egg - you’ll find this article useful; too: Guide to Protein Quality, Digestion and Absorption

We have and are doing lots of independant testing on our nutritional profile.