Awful Reflux/Heartburn

Thanks for the ideas Dan but I disagree with the premise of your disagreement being that ‘simply chewing’ a solid food (like a lunchtime ham and cheese sub or a quick baked potato with tuna) makes it “the same as Huel” regarding water content, as the vast majority of prepared Hule water as I was saying. Maybe ‘simply chewing it with over half a pint of water in your mouth’ would make it ‘the same as Huel’ regarding the liquids diluting enzymes point I was discussing.

Secondly, consuming a Huel in 45 minutes is both more inconvenient than real food (missing a main reason for buying Huel for most people)… where you can eat a salad box in 5 or 10 minutes easily. Huel would become an unbearable chore… imagine consuming the 5 of the standard 3 scoop 450 cal hules I need to maintain 2250 of my 2500 cal daily intake by taking your 30 mins per 2 scoops… that would mean my 5 hules would take an epically laborious 3 HOURS AND 45 MINUTES of sipping, carrying and distraction from workflow to nurse to completion haha :smiley: Massively impractical given real life.

Not to mention highly un-satiating, as I, like many others, find it necessary to have the feeling of something in my stomach; and for well documented biological reason. Tiny sips of liquid spread sparse over 45 minutes will not cut it.

On a different note, the couple of hurlers who recommended omeprazole… thank you. I’ve been taking it morning and evening and indeed the acid is gone. I’m now slugging my Huel down in less than a minute which leaves me feeling like I’ve actually eaten a meal :slight_smile:

So all is good, I’ve been starting to work out too so I will ‘supplement’ my Hule with a food when my calorific requirement hits 3k.

Thanks again for the recommendations, see you all around.

Sorry I’m not really sure what you are trying to say here. Would you mind clarifying a bit more? 100g of Huel + 500ml of water gives roughly a food with 83% water content, a potato has a water content of 80%.

All enzymes need to be in solution to be active - this is relevant in the mouth.
When in the stomach enzymes are denatured because of the low pH and acid. In the stomach like any other food Huel becomes a bit of a sludge.

If it helps, think back to soup again.

Liquid foods tend to lead to greater satiety than solid foods: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23093339 and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15639159 but again it may come back to the time frame that Huel is consumed over. Eating faster leads to a weaker feeling of satiety.

I’m really sorry to hear that Huel is not for you. I’m glad to hear you’ve found a solution.

I know from personal experience that sipping a Huel drink very slowly does not satiate me as much as eating a ham and cheese sub for example; this is extremely clear cut. Also many other users as well as reviews I’ve read have pointed this out. If you are unaware of this that’s very surprising.

PS:
If you are trying to imply many Huel users are “wrong” when they mention that they feel more ‘filled up’ and satiated by drinking a 3 scoop Huel quite quickly as opposed to sipping it in drips over your 45 minutes then, wow.

I don’t wish to discuss further with a person who claims to tell unknown people when they are full up and when they not against their own consistent experience.

All the best.

I think Dan was only trying to help mate but glad to hear your symptoms have lifted. See kids drugs are great

I think you’ve had enough.