Black V1.1 Sweeter?

The exact same thing happened to me with the shift from Original 2.1 to Original 3.0. They’re like chalk and cheese. I’ve been drinking the former 1-2 times a day for almost three years with a subscription order coming in monthly. Like you, I got no notification of the change, and have ended up with bags of vile stuff I just can’t stomach.

I’m a huge Huel fan, and they have been historically superb at customer service. However, I agree that these downgrades in product and flavour, with no prior notifications, are absolute corporate clangers.

2 Likes

I think it was not meant evil, quite the contrary, they wanted to improve something for the customers. And the willingness to make products better and improve is a good feature I think. Just see it that way: The formula will likely be changed again soon, as it is changed relatively often, and maybe those changes make it a superior product for you again.
And regarding taste you still have options how to improve the powder you have now. You could combine it with UU and/or add flavour boosts or flavour drops. That way the taste should change significantly, and you have the control about how sweet you want to have it.

4 Likes

Like some of the previous posters, I’m also disappointed by this change. After trying many Huel products, Vanilla Black Huel was by far my favourite. However, the new version is way too sweet for me. I’ll make the switch to UU for my next order, but it’s annoying to be stuck with two bags of this ‘improved’ Black Huel…

2 Likes

You can mix both products 50:50. That way it will be less sweet.
Here are some other tipps on how to neutralize sweetness:
https:// www.thespruceeats. com/how-to-save-a-dish-thats-too-sweet-4174554

If anyone prefers the new sweetened version of Black Edition Vanilla 1.1, they could post here. So far the topic risks being a bit of an echo chamber, since only negative reports (including from me) have appeared.

I have some that arrived in my latest bulk delivery but haven’t opened it yet (I’m still one or two bags away from that) so will report in when I try it. It’s worth noting that the sweetness (and any added flavours) of any Huel also mellows and reduces when the shake has been stood a while in the refrigerator as the powder is fully absorbed by the liquid.

2 Likes

I love it!

1 Like

What is your opinion on Black Edition U/U?

Have just tried Black Edition U/U mixed 50/50 with updated Black Edition Vanilla V1.1, and am pleased to say that the mix tastes good.

Gone is the excessive sweetness of the unmixed Vanilla V1.1, replaced by a slightly medicinal quality, but not unpleasant.

As always, it was left in the fridge for 6+ hours before consumption. The difference this makes is so great that I sometimes wonder if the diversity of perceptions of product tastes is also down to the fact that some (Huel Black especially, imo) require hours before the flavour settles, but then become far better than perhaps many realise.

Have yet to try BE U/U on its own.

I received my monthly shipment of Huel Black recently, I just made my first drink of the new bag and I spat it into the sink because I thought it had gone off. It has this really weird synthetic plastic taste. I had no idea that they were changing the flavor. I really wish they hadn’t, Huel Black Vanilla was 100% perfect.

This is a big disappointment since Huel was quickly becoming a big part of my diet and I was completely satisfied as is. Is there a way to continue ordering Black Vanilla V1? I can’t stand this new flavor and neither can my girlfriend.

Thank you in advance

2 Likes

Perhaps you could try UU with the flavour boost…or flavour drops.

I tried blending and leaving it in the fridge both seem to help a bit. I think that the flavor is closer to the ready to drink version now. I cant tell for the chocolate but i hope it is- I haven’t ordered chocolate black edition since my first ever order late last year- it tasted too plasticky. Ive added it to my next subscription, hopefully v1.1 has addressed this.
if not…
I might consider UU, it cant be hard to just enhance the flavour myself. cinnamon, caocao powder preanuts, real bananas, dark chocolate, real coffee

I might consider adding in a scoop of dymatize chocolate protein powder - they’ve got their chocolate on point! that way ill get the best of huel’s health benefits and if im gonna have a protein shake anyway that day, i might aswell add it in right?

I’ve just had my first try if the new Vanilla Black :cry: Far too sweet and with an odd aftertaste. May have to try mixing it with u/u - such a shame, it was perfect before

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry you personally aren’t a fan. As every, there are millions of ways to tweak and change the flavour of your Huel. Great idea with the UU!

1 Like

Chocolate 1.1 - I have just tried the updated version of Black Edition Chocolate.

My first observation: the version number is not shown. Instead, there is the additional text “New and improved flavour”. There is no version number on the label, anywhere. This is unlike BE Vanilla 1.1, which has the version number clearly shown. Why no version number?

Taste: It is disgusting. I mixed it with 40% U/U to tone it down. Vanilla 1.1 works okay when mixed with U/U, but chocolate is no longer chocolate. Whatever is being used for flavouring renders on my taste buds as toffee, unlike whatever was used on 1.0.

This is in keeping with changes made to the main product line a little over a year ago. Sadly, for me, this has gone from being the main staple of my diet, to something that I will not be buying in future.

As a more general note: responses in this thread are overwhelmingly negative about the new Vanilla 1.1, but that’s likely due to the fact that satisfied customers don’t have the same motivation to make themselves heard. Is this assumption correct?

Edit: I have now looked very closely at the list of ingredients, comparing Chocolate 1.0 with Chocolate 1.1. There is a change from “Natural Chocolate Flavouring” to “Natural Flavourings”. It would be interesting to confirm whether no chocolate flavouring is used.

I appreciate that for some, Chocolate 1.0 was not a great taste, but it’s such a shame that this change had to be the infamous “toffification”, to which Huel Black offered a clear alternative.

Sorry you don’t like Chocolate Black Edition. Why don’t you add a little cocoa yourself? Along with your UU mix sounds like you could be on to a winner!

That’s strange, I’m looking at the label now and can see the version number at the bottom of the label

Logic stands to reason, but can’t speak for everyone though.

There is cocoa powder used in Chocolate Black Edition, you’ll see this higher up on the ingredients list. The reason for the change in wording to natural flavourings is that previously we just used chocolate flavour, which didn’t give any depth of flavour. We now use a combination of flavours to give a better depth of flavour - perhaps some which you are picking up as toffee on your palate.

hope that helps answers all your queries!

Hi Tim,

Looks like an early batch of labels missed the version number, so no worries, here’s the one without (batch number 22757C):

Ah… my apologies, I missed the cocoa powder while parsing for differences. Thanks for the correction.

It does, and the fact that you responded in great detail is appreciated.

Will experiment with the three bags of this stuff I have here. Sincerely hope my reaction is not shared by others, and all the best to the Huel team.

1 Like

I completely agree. Why can’t people just add more sugar or sweeteners if they want a sweeter taste??!! Came here as I tried Huel Black - I thought ‘this is great’. Re-ordered recently and it that’s like overly sweetened artificial bleurgh. My gf won’t touch it now so looks like will try ordering UU so at least it’s drinkable.

they didn’t add anymore sugar or sweetnner.

That’s entirely possible. However, the letter (shown earlier in this thread) clearly states, in “What are the changes”:

• Improved flavour
  • Increased sweetness

It may be that increased sweetness is achieved in some way other than adding sugar or sweetener, but the complaint is the taste of the increased sweetness, not the way in which it’s achieved.

This increase in sweetness is one of two stated aims of the change from Huel Black 1.0 to 1.1.