Brownies

So I saw this recipe https://backforseconds.com/fudge-brownies-made-with-greek-yogurt/2/
for brownies which replaced the eggs and butter with plain Greek yogurt and decided to alter it a little. I had to convert the quantities from cups to grams and rounded some of them up or down. I replaced the flour with Huel (obviously), used 200g milk chocolate rather than 60g chocolate chips (I personally prefer brownies to be fudgy rather than cakey so this means using more melted chocolate to get the chocolate taste rather than cocoa powder), and omitted the sugar by mashing three bananas and combing with four tablespoons of water to create a puree. This puree (like the yogurt) also acts as an egg substitute (less eggs = more fudgy texture). I was worried that the overall brownies would be too bitter as the cocoa powder I used was 100% but of course the milk chocolate has sugar in and I was using vanilla Huel rather than UU so it has sweeteners.

INGREDIENTS
• 200g milk chocolate
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil
• 3-4 bananas: enough to make 1 cup mashed, around 300g
• 100g or ¾ cup vanilla Huel
• 50g or ½ cup cocoa powder
• 300g or 1 ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt (room temperature)

DIRECTIONS
Step 1
Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
In a glass mixing bowl heat the chocolate with the coconut oil in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each burst until smooth and melted. Let cool slightly.
Step 2
In a separate bowl, mash the bananas and stir in one tablespoon of water at a time until a smooth puree is created.
Step 3
Combine the Huel and cocoa powder in another bowl.
Step 4
Stir the yogurt and the banana puree into the cooled melted chocolate. Gradually add in the dry ingredients stirring just until combined. Do not over mix.
Step 5
Bake for 25-30 until no longer wobbly in the middle. They will look underdone but remember brownies to continue to cook after being removed from the oven.

The original recipe said 20mins but baked for longer than said (around 30mins) until there was no longer a wobble and the top had a brownie ‘crust’. The cooked brownie tastes nice but I personally thought the batter tasted nicer, if only because it was very obviously a brownie batter while the cooked brownie has a strange texture. If it were a little firmer then it would definitely be fudgy but instead it is really googey and feels almost raw. Leaving in the fridge helps a little though. I think next time maybe use less yogurt and/or banana puree to make less wet and maybe more cocoa powder to increase the chocolate taste. If anyone wants to experiment with this recipe and manages to achieve ultimate fudgy goodness then definitely let me know! :slight_smile:

1 Like

These sound delicious, looks like you’ve given yourself a little brownie project there! What if you could omit the yoghurt entirely though? Using chia eggs or flax eggs, or similar.

Doesn’t it always?

giphy (4)

1 Like