šŸ““ Daily Journal: Intermittent Fasting (16:8), ED Recovery and Weight Loss

Day 162 Iā€™m tired.

Weight: 52.9kg le sigh

Food Intake: (lmao I tallied at the end of the day and it was 2604kcal OOPS. Update I binged again after going home so itā€™s probably ~3300kcal but I surprisingly donā€™t feel like killing myself)

• 112g Huel, Matcha & ChocFS
  • 1 can chilli tomato tuna
  • 2 packets seaweed
  • 1 packet chips more
  • 1 packet Apollo wafers
  • a lot of binging ahahahaha ignore meā€¦

Activity: (2344kcal out)

• 45min Urban Hip Hop
  • 1h Power Pump class
  • 16,702 steps total

Other Observations:

• Need to stop eating outside food / overeating in general I was so damn close
  • After my appointment with the psychologist todayā€¦ I really think Iā€™m gonna take a break from calorie counting. Itā€™s borne out of fear that Iā€™d regain all the weight I lost, but I canā€™t expend 70% of my time and energy trying to lose weight. Iā€™m exhausted and itā€™s just not sustainable. Besides, ideally, Iā€™d like to be able to manage my weight and understand and trust my bodyā€™s cues, not stuff myself out of dissociation.
  • It will take a while before the initial novelty of not calorie counting (aka perhaps a bit of overeating) dies down, so I will accept that a bit of gain may happen, but itā€™s part of the process and I KNOW how to lose weight. I will not regain all the weight so long as i donā€™t think ā€œscrew itā€ and let go.
  • Ok so today was quite a bingey day and I wouldnā€™t be surprised if it was around 3300kcal consumed: I think I got quite excited thinking Iā€™m not gonna be obsessively restrictive, and my brain is scared that Iā€™m just gonna be overly strict to compensate so it binges now. Itā€™s all a process, and it WILL BE WORTH IT IN THE END. This is gonna be a Long post since Iā€™m trying to figure out what exactly Iā€™m trying to do
  • 11.42pm: sooooooooo i really did try, but as it turns out I couldnā€™t deal with having over eaten and the scale saying 55kg, so I shoveled down a bunch of ice cream that i couldnā€™t taste because Iā€™m sick and then I purgedā€¦ ;-;

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”
The Plan (Take II): fret not, Iā€™ll still be keeping up the log :stuck_out_tongue:

1. Iā€™ll be weighing myself still, and Iā€™ll keep trying to reach my 52 goal even though I know that might not happen. It WILL though, and I wonā€™t have to sacrifice my mental health for it.
  2. 12-8
  3. Huel
  4. Water
  5. Track food stillā€”eat balanced meals!!!
  6. New: Listen to my bodyā€™s cues, if itā€™s satiated, donā€™t stuff it. I donā€™t NEED food all the time.
  7. KEEP TRYING MY BEST. Just because Iā€™ve had a surplus doesnā€™t mean I need to be all or nothing and blow it. Iā€™ll be doing this for days; the food wonā€™t run away. + more = diminishing marginal returns.

Goals

• Listen to my bodyā€™s cues, be able to stop. Itā€™s so difficult to tear myself away, itā€™s almost like Iā€™d rather feel like crap than to leave things on a plate.
  • See how well I can estimate what my body needs without counting (my checks and balances being the scale, my 12-8 rule, desire for consistency, hating the feeling of being full, not wanting to have to purge.)
  • Get rid of the exercise calories-food calories link bc itā€™s stressing me out too much
  • Spend more brain effort on other productive things like GETTING AN INTERNSHIP (I really want to intern at Huel; Iā€™ve literally never believed so much in a product and its cause before)
  • Be able to go out with friends before I go back! Enjoy these last few days :slight_smile:
  • Stop being so all or nothingā€”like overeating = binge, or unknown calories = binge
  • To keep picking healthy options: just because Iā€™m not counting the calories or macros doesnā€™t mean they donā€™t count. They still do, and they still affect my health.
  • Not feel the need to ā€œfinishā€ everything. Work on some lingering behaviours.
  • Learn: Observe as much of the side effects as I can! Maximise this experience :slight_smile:

What to expect

• My weight may go up to 54kg. Hopefully not more.
  • I may binge a bit the first few days of excitement. I will also be very disappointed that Iā€™ve been so close to my goal of 52 and didnā€™t reach it yet ā€”> Remind myself that this is an investment, and work hard at sticking to 12-8 and listening to my bodily cues. Give myself a week or two to settle into this. I need a mental break, and I can always do a 100% Huel when I get back to the UK next week!

Mantras to remind myself

• I KNOW how to lose weight. Itā€™s not out of my control. If I have a break, Iā€™m a lot more likely to be able to renew my strength and commitment to do this.
  • It will take longer, but giving up isnā€™t gonna get me anywhere. I will get there so long as I keep trying. The road is winding but it will get there.
  • Losing weight isnā€™t actually all that matters in life. What does, is my making progress and not giving up on my goals. Sure, at the end of the day, I love losing fat. But what truly wrecks me is a lack of direction and goals to achieve.
1 Like

Day 163

Weight: 53.3kg

Food Intake: (1587kcal in, gonna count it as 1636kcal)

• 112g Huel, ChocFS&BananaFS
  • 100g enoki, 100g broccoli
  • Sweetsā€”15 pinches cookie doughs, 30g choc chip cookie, cs mooncake
  • Snacksā€”15g beancurd fishcake roll w 1T XO sauce
  • 1 tin tomato tuna, 2 eggwhites

Activity: (2189kcal out)

• 1h interval training
  • 40min Zumba
  • 12,078 steps total

Other Observations:

• Iā€™m starting to be more excited about baking and cooking. I guess if Iā€™d had to track everything meticulously, cooking is honestly just such a pain. But I made roasted veggies (with an oil spray) and they taste SO GOOD!!! Really enjoying it :slight_smile:
  • I realised I was still very stuck in a black and white, all-or-nothing mindset: I hadnā€™t realised that Iā€™d put food into 2 categories
  1. Goodā€”Known calories, my own measured food or from a packet or Huel, repeated & part of a routine
  2. Badā€”Unknown calories, outside food, not-worth-it, not repeated
    ā€¦and that kind of meant that I mentally compartmentalised my home food to not have to be very tasty, because knowing the calories and losing weight off of it was of utmost importance. I need to strike a balance.
  • Iā€™ve started to have a little more mental space to do other things! What my psychologist said rang true: I donā€™t want to live my life focusing 70% of my brain on food and losing weight. And besides, the less I think about it, the more likely I am to eat less and actually enjoy my food! Already, Iā€™m doing things like art (calligraphy), baking for people, spending time with my mumā€¦
  • Its a little difficult to rationalise thatā€™s the mental benefits are worth it, and that the physical weight gains (that WILL BE TEMPORARY I SWEAR BECAUSE IM NOT GIVING UP ON THIS WEIGHT LOSS THING) are ok for now. But Iā€™ll stick this through as much as it kills me, I know itā€™s good for the long run. For example, Iā€™m going to go exercise, not with the mindset that I need to burn as many calories as possible, but because I know I need activity and itā€™s good for me. Helps with a deficit too, although that canā€™t be the sole reason since I donā€™t know what my calories in are.
  • OMG: AHHHHH GUYS!!! So I logged my intake at the end of the day and guess what? (I mean some are estimates but still) It totaled to around 1500-1600kcal!! AND hereā€™s the kicker: when I looked at the macros, it was a perfect 41:29:30 split?! Even with the cookie dough included! Maybe I can actually slowly start to trust my bodyā€¦ :open_mouth: I think I almost cried with happiness.
  • Buffet Lunch tomorrow, another dinner on Sunday, last family day on Monday, flight & jet lag on Tuesday, settling back into the UK afterā€¦this is going to be a tough week.
  • 2am: Iā€™m still full. Crap I probably miscounted and have over-eaten after all. :frowning: Bracing myself for yet another gainā€¦
1 Like

Day 164

Weight: 53.3kg

Food Intake: (a lot; also binged on bread & purged ><)

Activity: (2376kcal out)

• 45min dance class
  • 17,510 steps total (clubbing LOLLLL)

Other Observations:

• Was very tired. Binged on bread til I was so stuffed it hurt to ~exist~ let alone moveā€¦had to get it out of me :confused: Definitely donā€™t think a buffet is a good idea anymore.
1 Like

Im really impressed by your activity level, you rock! Even on my most active days, where I feel like I really have given it a lot, Iā€™m not burning more than just around 2000 kcal - and most days I struggle to get above 1500. Even when I clock 15k steps - and Iā€™m taller and heavier than you :grimacing:

So remember to give your self credit for that, itā€™s really an achievement to be that active

3 Likes

Day 165

Weight: 52.3kg lel alcohol dehydration

Food Intake: (~1659kcal in)

• 1/2 of 112g Huel, ChocFS
  • 65g red bean bread & 45g kaya bun & 10g choc bread
  • 23 pieces chicken in porridge
  • 100g ea of (cabbage, enoki mushroom)
  • 1/2 peanut cookie
  • 3 egg whites
  • Dinner ā€“ Omurice w Japanese curry & 2 slices katsu

Activity: (2538kcal out)

• 24,217 steps total

Other Observations:

• I think I can do with this level of not tracking calories. Iā€™d just input it at the end of the day for fun, and it didnā€™t seem exorbitant. Iā€™ve eaten what Iā€™ve felt like mostly, and was able to go out to eat with a Friend without really freaking out about the choices. Choosing Japanese curry when my initial pick of mixed veggies wasnā€™t available, and managing to stop eating when i wasnā€™t actually hungry anymore. A lot more flexible, and more mental space to deal with other problems.
  • Less inclination to EAT ALL THE SWEETS now that Iā€™ve allowed my brain the freedom to essentially eat whatever I want :ā€™) Also donā€™t feel the need to eat sweets JUST BECAUSE I CAN, am starting to listen to what my body actually wants. This is so new to me.
1 Like

Day 166

Weight: 52.9kg not gonna hit my 52 goal in time but ah well this is more important

Food Intake:

• 56g NewHuel, 2g MatchaFS
  • binge binge bingeā€”a shit ton of bread, homemade cookies, 1 turnip pancake, etc.
  • hugeass dinnerā€”23 pieces sashimi, eggplant, scallops, 1 soft shell crab, mooncake, broccoli, seaweed, salmon belly, etc etc etc

Activity: (2055kcal out)

• 1h Funkblitz
  • some strength exercises
  • 11,743 steps total

Other Observations:

• b&pā€™d siGH; yesterday was a good day though. I tried not to, but I know itā€™s emotional because Iā€™m leaving home tomorrow and I guess it gets my mind off things? & also idk I just had one thing on my mindā€”to get rid of all the remaining food I have in the house and will not be able to have for the next yearā€¦which is a lot.
  • bpā€™d again because itā€™s the last family dinner and last of home food and ahhhhhh I wish I dealt with stress better :frowning:
2 Likes

I like the days when you do not record anything.

How do you feel morally/mentally these days?

1 Like

Sheā€™s just getting started. Check back in a few hours and all the info will be there. If you prefer journals with no content, you ought to check mine out!!!

3 Likes

@Wendy_Shepherd HAAAHAHAHAHAHAA omg it cracked me up that you even know my method of posting :joy::joy:

@Latestfuels

Why? Isnā€™t this a daily journal :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I donā€™t know, pretty drained because Iā€™ll have yet another significant change in routine in environment sigh.

1 Like

Mostly because I believe that in order to be at our best (healthiest) we should not be measuring every step we take. Do not get me wrong, I myself have a watch with stepcounter, a MFP account and continuously make choices (food and others) looking at calories and nutritional parameters.

It is just that those days that I get to not worry about it are when I feel the most free.

4 Likes

Some people thrive on freedom, others are burdened by the effects of freedom more than anything else. Weā€™re all different. :smiley:

3 Likes

Day 167

Weight: 52.4kg

Food Intake:

• 100g of (cabbage, mushroom, broccoli)
  • 1/2 unagi
  • 2/3 red bean fan
  • 1 mini kaya bun
  • 1 turkey w bean & 3 pumpkin
  • 2/3 butter berry cake
  • 5 heavenly bites ice cream
  • 1/2 muffin
  • salad :green_salad: w tuna
  • 1 turkey w jam
  • 2 egg whites
  • tuna sandwich most of :sandwich:
  • 1 packet twisties (82kcal)
  • 1 small square Hersheyā€™s (~15kcal)
  • 1 packet chips more (98kcal)
  • 1 strawberry mini chupachups (~15-30)
  • 2 chewing gum

Activity: probably none bc imma be on a plane :airplane:ļø (1904kcal out, 7571 steps total)

Other Observations:

• Havenā€™t been doing too well on the recovery front. Tbh Iā€™m exhausted and everythingā€™s changing and I guess I fall back into bad habitsā€¦just donā€™t have the energy to think through it all and come up with game plans.
  • Although I know that something I need to do is settle into a healthy sustainable lifestyle to once again lose weight gradually, instead of erratic gains and losses. I donā€™t want to be attributing my weight loss to having purged, nor start to associate purging with good or rewarding. I choose how to wire my brain.
  • 9.31pm: Iā€™m so disoriented with the days but HELLO UK HUELERS IM BAcK IN YOUR TIMEZONE!! :tada::tada::tada:
  • Food-wise today has been FANTASTIC. Planes and time zones usually mess me up so much and I often end up binging, but itā€™s been amazing! More details to follow. Tl;dr iā€™m getting better at listening to my body and hunger signals, and not counting calories does help with less anxiety when Iā€™m having an absolute upheaval in routine :slight_smile:
4 Likes

Hey Chris, I just wanted to say as a complete newbie, who has been reading all the topics, I have found your story, updates and conversations with others fascinating and hugely inspirational. You should be extremely proud of yourself and know that even the smallest detail shared could go a long way to helping someone else.

I have pulled this quote out, as I thought Iā€™d offer some unsolicited advice (which is the worst kind, but stillā€¦). Whilst you are in an energy funk, try not to beat yourself up planning. You already have game plans that youā€™ve used successfully in the past (I know this as Iā€™ve read a lot of your posts over the past few days). Itā€™s no bad thing to revisit what has worked in the short term, whilst you conserve energy and get yourself ready for a new plan. It may mean standing still, but importantly itā€™s not going backwards and that will give you time to scheme.

Look after yourself and keep talking/posting.

Onwards. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Day 168

Weight: 52.0kg abOUT FRIKIN TIME!!! :tada::tada::tada:

Food Intake:

• 112g Huel, ChocFS
  • tuna sandwich; cupcake, cake
  • carrots, eggplant dip, 8 grapes, 12 chicken slices, 80g crayfish tails, 1 fibre one chocolate cake bar
  • fish & veg
  • 1 slice chicken bacon pizza

Activity: (2153kcal out)

• 11,762 steps total

Other Observations:

• Looks like I can indeed hit my goals without explicitly counting every calorie! Iā€™ve counted so long I CAN TRUST MYSELF.
  • So what I did (without really planning beforehand tbh) was to eat from 12-8pm in my home timing. Iā€™d eat my own lunch, then pack the one the airline gave me for when I was actually hungry. Then Iā€™m fasting until 12-8pm UK time (which is 7h extra, so 24h). Itā€™s not THAT difficult because we had to get off and on planes and coaches and stuff, BUT hunger got pretty rumbly and I spent most of fasting awake. Made it easy and straightforward to just write eating off my mind and work with the changing timezones. Besides, I spent most of the trip sedentary so I donā€™t actually need more calories.
  • Itā€™s hard because the schedule is so erratic, but Iā€™ll try my best! 12-8 and 10,000 steps; I forgot to get my Huel from the porters oops.
2 Likes

Day 169

Food Intake:

• 1/2 of (112g NewHuel)
  • lamb moussaka
  • 1/2 packer mixed veggies w 15g sesame sauce + 1/2 tin tuna w 15g mustard
  • shit ton of cake, cookies, ice cream, idek man
  • more cake, snacks, strawberries, grapes
  • chicken w kale
  • trifle pudding

Activity: (2366kcal out)

• 19,314 steps total

Other Observations:

• NOT GOOD. B/pā€™d twice. Overate. Idk man I guess stress and jetlag and routine change and so many unknown food situations and PMSā€¦

@MarkyT Thanks for the very sound advice (unsolicited or not, still useful); will do! And thanks for your kind words, they mean a lot :slight_smile: hahaha I totally know what you mean by having read ALL the posts; that was me when I first got onto the forum! :stuck_out_tongue: kudos on making it through my metric shit ton of posts though hahahhaa hope Huelā€™s been good for you so far!

1 Like

No problem at all Chris. :+1:

One minute Iā€™m reading about bowel movements and the next about licking the lid of the shaker to prevent dripping. Itā€™s a roller coaster. :roller_coaster:

I havenā€™t started yet, but I plan on diving in over the next week or 2. Genuinely canā€™t wait. Whoop.

3 Likes

Day 170

Food Intake:

• 1/2 of (112g NewHuel)
  • veggies, 1/2 can tuna
  • Bingeā€”cakes, brownies, cookies, cornflakes, 3 chicken, idk
  • ice cream
  • Dinnerā€”2 sushi :sushi:, miso soup, broccoli w sesame sauce
  • 8 strawberries

Activity: (2209kcal out)

• 15,774 steps total

Other Observations:

• b/pā€™d again even though I told myself not to in the morning!! UGH I think itā€™s because of how out of control I feel with the routine and type of food changing. Not counting calories worked for a while back home because Iā€™d already gotten used to a type of routine that worked so I already had a feel for it, but rn itā€™s all over the place; thereā€™s so much food everywhere; I donā€™t know how to regulate myself and I donā€™t have a routine and ahhhhhhh. Things should get better after tomorrow though, and Iā€™ll try to come up with more of a plan. In the meantime, Iā€™m just terrified of gaining with all the social events and how out of control I am, and so I end up purging ugh.
  • I might go back to calorie counting depending, to get me into a healthy rhythm.
  • Why I donā€™t want to purge:
  1. I know binging and purging will most likely either stall my weight loss or make me gain since like 70% would be absorbed and if I binge with the knowledge Iā€™d be purging it could be thousands of calories.
  2. Screws up my teeth and enamel
  3. Puffy cheeks
  4. Socially inappropriate
  5. I want a consistent healthy routine and not be sucked further into bulimia. I need to learn how to cope with all this in healthy ways.
  6. Messes up my electrolyte levels and makes me dehydrated af.
  7. Sore throats :((
1 Like

Hi Chris,

What has worked best for you in the past, in helping you from binging/purging? Was there a particular plan/routine/combo that was working, that you could revisit (I appreciate that what I am talking about is a lot easier said than done!).

I know in the past you spent a period of time going 100% Huel. Did that work for you? How did you cope with it? Could going 100% be like pressing a reset for you, before easing ā€œtraditionalā€ food back in to your daily routine?

I am very far from an expert on EDā€™s, so rather than offer advice, Iā€™m asking questions in the hope that it prompts a chat about the positive actions that have worked for you.

2 Likes

Day 171

Weight: 52.8kg

Food Intake: (1700kcal in)

• 1/2 of (112g NewHuel)

Activity: (2125kcal out)

Other Observations:

• Weight increase bcā€”ate 3h later than usual, binging, PMS
  • My throat really hurts. I want to not purge, but I need to find an alternative system.
  • Okay since I need a little more guidance wrt settling into a routine (this will be seen as the transition period) + more control + more incentive not to binge & to value consistency instead, I am going to log calories at the end of the day. See how far off I am and tweak accordingly. Iā€™ll give myself a week to try this out, and will try my best not to b/p. (csok)
2 Likes

Day 172

Weight: 53.1kg HAHAHHAHA THIS BLOODY WEIGHT AGAIN Iā€™m laughing

Food Intake: (2292kcal in w/o purging)

• 1/2 of (112g NewHuel)
  • carrots, tomatoes, 1 can tuna w mustard
  • bingeā€”chocolate, brownies, 330g ice cream, pork scratchings etc.
  • 1 piece fish, 1 piece Chinese chicken

Activity: (1978kcal out)

• 11,095 steps total

Other Observations:

• I need a plan but Iā€™m just so overwhelmed by all the events and rapidly changing routine and food and ahhhhhhhhh I keep gaining weight & I donā€™t have an exercise programme!!! AGH Iā€™m just gonna try not to gain beyond 53.5kg or 54kg. Stick to my habits. 12-8. Huel. It will settle down; this will all come to pass.
  • struggling. b/pā€™d.
1 Like