Diarrhea-like symptoms in the morning

So I use huel to get up 1800 kcals every day. I used to it to get up to 1000kcals before, but it’s only now (been 4 weeks) that I’ve decided to up my calorie intake from huel to meet my nutritional needs.

Almost invariably, two minutes after I wake up, I have to rush to the bathroom to violently relieve myself.

Anyone with any ideas as to why this is happening? And how do I “cure” it while still getting the calories I want?

I’m just hoping that this isn’t a case of malabsorption - the idea that there’s a limit to which one’s body can absorb liquid meals, and it’s all just “sitting” there in my digestive tract…

Sorry to hear you’ve got diarrhoea, that’s extremely unpleasant for you.

Can I ask what makes you think this is caused by Huel? Diarrhoea is very common and can be picked up from all sorts of bacteria/viruses etc. As you say, you’ve been getting along with Huel absolutely fine up for the last 4 weeks.

@Dan_Huel will be able to comment more on this, but I believe in the places in the GI tract where nutrients are absorbed your food has been heavily broken down so that it is not far off liquid anyway.

Can I ask what makes you think this is caused by Huel?

I think it’s just the increased huel intake. Everything else has pretty much remained constant.

but I believe in the places in the GI tract where nutrients are absorbed your food has been heavily broken down so that it is not far off liquid anyway.

Not sure I totally understand - are you saying that huel being a liquid meal shouldn’t affect nutritional absorption?

It runs in the family. It’s in the genes (sic) (or boxers).

I can’t say I have ever had Diarrhea with Huel but i have had it with other brands.

Huel being liquid won’t affect this, think of soup! It maybe that the jump in Huel intake is too much (if you think that’s the cause). Try going back down to 1000kcal, trying 1400kcal for a week or so then going up to 1800kcal if that’s what you want to do.

I had a similar thing, it stopped after a few weeks, as did the gas.

Perhaps your diet has, but that doesn’t mean you haven’t picked up a bug that has given you diarrhoea.

Correct. We consume many things that are liquids but provide nutritional value.

I have the same. Used Huel Black edition for 2 months then Diarrhea kicked in first thing in the morning. Been to doctors and had test done. Nothing found. No Bowel infections. Gave Huel a miss last weekend and sort of returned to normal. Switched to Huel White on monday. Had 500ml 2 scoop serving at lunch. Yesterday morning diarhhea back. Not been today yet. Fingers crossed. Cant give up as i’ve a £100 investment in Huel product sitting in the kitchen.

I too am experiencing symptoms of stomach cramps & a badly upset stomach every morning.
This started immediately after switching from my regular diet to two HUEL meals & one regular meal. Huel has helped with my cravings & has aided my workouts well but after these new digestive issues I am concerned that it may not be suitable for me. I have spoken to a nutritionists who thinks that this can be common place with a change of diet. One friend who has tried Huel claims that it contains a fermented ingredient that she reacted badly to. I am currently taking medication which is recommended not to be taken with fermented food. I understand that there is powdered Kombucha fairly low down in the ingredients list, so I presume that it is a very small amount. Does anybody know if there is another fermented ingredient within Huel? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Tiff and thanks for your input!

Agreed, for some people a change in diet can cause digestive issues.

You’re correct, there’s only a small amount of kombucha in Huel, there’s no fermented ingredients in Huel otherwise.