Discount structure

Huel didn’t disclose how much it cost to get the B Corp label.

Apparently, it costs so much that they had to increase the cost of 16 bags of huel white by $50.

Previously 16 bags cost $462.40 now they will cost $510.

I’ll go burn several empty huel bags as a protest against the environment, hopefully offsetting any “good” that huel tries to do for the environment.

Our decision to go for Bcorp is very separate from this - this change is about benefiting the majority of customers that want to shop across the range, while Bcorp was a decision we made driven by our sustainability goals and wanting to push ourselves to be better.

You will still receive 20% savings on all purchases. This will not change.

On top of the above discount options, the new plan will provide an additional 10% off when your order total is greater than $120 or an additional 15% off if your order total is above $400. This applies to all orders.

1 Like

On the USA site the 16 bags still cost $462.40.

The price increase is from August 15th according to the email.

Ok. Didn’t know that. Will check again later.

You were right, unfortunately.

Are you talking about the price of a product or the way discounts are offered/applied to it. Best I can tell is that the price hasn’t changed but the discounting system has.

The price of a bag is $37.50 so 16 bags is $600 - so the multiplier discount works out at a reduction of 15%

The discount system changed, affecting the USA bulk buyers end price of a single product. I replied to @rikefrejut because he lives solely on Huel and he felt a price increase was coming. I posted pictures before and after the discount system. There’s a price/cost redistribution from some articles to others in the range.

https://discuss.huel.com/t/were-now-a-b-corp/25129/21?u=patricius

From $462.40 to $510 USD for the same 16 bags.

1 Like

OK so the unit price didn’t change - just the bulk buy discount calculation right?

I just replied to confirm @rikefrejut idea of bulk increase. But since I live and buy in EU I needed to see how this discount system seems to be working in the USA, and make same calculations. Always considering only Huel Powder White, USA market and subscription. Not in any combo that the presented system presents as being beneficial, on some conditions: How the New Discount Affects Your Subscription – Huel . But based on USA Huel 1.1, v3.0 and v3.0 December price increase, and comparing with prices simulated on checkout, prices raised, and not only in bulk. If someone find any error please point out.

1 Like

The same price increase is coming to UK and EU too of course, soon.

And they’ll present it as a price decrease™.

3 Likes

Just to make sure we kept the BCorp thread on topic, I’ve moved the Conversation over to a new thread to continue the Discount structure conversation.

Almost every rivalling company increased its prices. But while the others also improved their formula, Huel made a downgrade in quality - to keep prices low; but now they eventually implement the - seemingly unavoidable - price increase. Just not in an honest way. But why not? I mean everyone knows that our economies face challenging times, that inflation is high, and almost everything becomes more expensive in the current economic climate.

My impression is, that dishonesty is the problem, not the price increase per se. And if you read reddit, many ex-customers were disappointed because of the perceived downgrade in quality.

You write an article about antioxidants and how they prevent certain diseases, including links to scientific articles - and some time later you remove it from your formula because “it doesn’t have any benefit” - another dishonesty, At least it is perceived that way.

Also here dishonesty seems to be the problem. Customers are not stupid, especially those of you. Regarding flavour and texture Huel is not the best product, most of your customers put nutrition first, and worry a lot about quality, and the percentage of more informed customers is higher. Dishonesty feels like being treated as stupid. I think your customers are more sensitive to this than maybe customers who put flavour or price first in their priority list, just trust in something and are less informed.

4 Likes

Customers very much are stupid, otherwise 99% of companies would not exist and we would still be stuck in stone age.

1 Like

I thought Huel customers were better informed. But knowledge is not the same as intelligence, sure.

If you don’t care about nutrition, you look for a product with better solubility, texture and taste, like for example yfood. The only reason to use Huel is better nutrition.

But unfortunately Huel has made some downgrades with regards to that, and others upgrades. On the other hand, Huel hasn’t made price increases, unlike these others. That is until now; what we see now is an effective price increase.

They are just not honest about this. No, for most customers it does not mean that anything becomes cheaper. For the majority it is a price increase. Allthough they don’t admit it. It really seems that Huel thinks its customers are stupid and believe almost everything, but I doubt that this is really the case.

1 Like

We are stupid and will believe almost everything, that’s the nature of consumerism.

But try not to take things personally, or feel aggrieved. It’s a business relationship, not a marriage. It’s nice that way, being able to pick and choose.

Except that Huel knows that it has no competitor, so we can’t choose. No other complete food product has the same nutritional quality as older Huel versions, or they include needless ingredients that don’t do anything, or they focus on organic ingredients (which has nothing to do with nutrition), or they focus on flavor (and don’t offer unflavored versions).

I just checked and discovered sad news that the alternative I had in mind if Huel went out of business has already gone out of business… (It was @IcyElemental GenesisFoods). They focused on nutrition first, and taste was completely irrelevant for their unflavored version.

Once some competitor comes along, that offers a nutrition first approach to their powdered product (and only offer a powdered product, because that’s the most efficient way of doing nutrition), then I’d test them out immediately and break my Huel streak.

By ‘pick and choose’ I meant ‘buy or not buy’.

Seems fair enough for Huel to adjust the discount system, and a good idea if it’s a nudge towards changing customer behaviour. In order to get the best unit price it won’t be necessary to order lots of the same product anymore, customers can order a range of products with the discount on the total. If I understand correctly.

Seems probable customers will be encouraged to try a wider range of products, rather than sticking to just one. This might be disadvantageous to customers who want to stick to just one product, but beneficial to others who’ll order more variety.

Swings and roundabouts.