Do the "hot & savoury" options taste as advertised?

Can someone compare the Huel hot & savoury options to using Unflavored & Unsweetened + some “real sauce”? For example, I have tried in the past dropping 1 spoonful of Thai green curry cooking sauce on a U&U shake and the result was pretty acceptable, IMO. And of course I can adjust how strong and spicy it is. What am I missing compared to the H&S option?

@hmijail The base ingredients of hot and savoury are completely different, so they won’t be comparable at all.

In H&S you’ve got whole pieces of rice, quinoa, dried veg and protein pieces, so the flavours of those alone will never be like powdered oats and pea protein…not to mention the H&S is highly textured so the whole eating experience is different.

4 Likes

Hi @rafaelclp they definitely do taste as advertised! I’ve tried all the flavours now and my favourites are Thai Green Curry, Madras, and Korma. For me, the Tomato & Herb, the Mexican, and the Sweet & Sour were a bit ‘meh.’ I make all mine with 90g of huel and 180-190ml of water because I like them on the thicker side (more like a risotto than a soup)

What I especially like about the H&S over the powders is the texture. Rather than drinking something thin and having weird bits of aftertaste from the bits of powder that are left, I get to smash through the H&S with a fork and do CHEWING and for me, I much prefer that.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I will buy them again, but… It requires some time to get used to them. And don’t have your hopes too high. After all, regarding huel products we’re trading simplicity and complete nutrition against flavor and texture, it nevers tastes as good as what you could cook for lunch. Still, as I say I’ll keep buying them because they are good enough.

2 Likes

Tom & Herb - Tastes a lot like old school tomato cup a soup. Nice and tangy.

Madras, Mexican Chilli - Both beautiful. Right taste. Good consistency. Much like eating a ‘real’ veggie version.

Green Curry - I find this either comes out to weak or the consistency is just… odd, if mixed for a stronger taste. It’s okay, but least like the thing it’s named after.

Korma - Rather bland, like a real korma! But lacks a korma’s coconutty-ness and creaminess. Tastes a lot like the sauce you’re left with after eating Curry Supernoodles.

Sweet and Sour - Hard to compare to a ‘real’ dish. All I can say is it does taste nice, tastes of sweet n sour flavour.

2 Likes

Those were a bit of a surprise in the Korma :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I just got my order and I already tried Madras. It tastes really good. I think I will try T&H next, then maybe mix two flavours together (1 scoop each).

Keep that off the forums of this company though mate, not being funny but this isn’t a general nutrition forum @mbs it is a commercial forum for Huel.

Wife and I bought 4 bags and had to go for the non spicier stuff to start with… Wife can’t do spice sadly… Me I make my own chilli Sherry to add to soups normally and other cooking.
We bought:
Sweet and Sour - not unpleasant but both agreed it wasn’t what we were expecting, was a lot nicer towards the end.I added a splash of soy to mine
Korma was fine, not something I would order myself normally, raisins were a surprise, but a pleasant one, I added a few extra to the second one.
Thai Green Curry very very mild, I added a large splash of Thai Fish sauce and a bit of chilli to jazz mine up. Wife was OK with her
Mexican Chilli we both really enjoyed without adding anything extra.

I like the add ons others have used, like a handfull of prawns or adding some cheese and a tortilla to the mexican one etc… just remember not to over calorie it if you are doing Huel for weight loss

Think glorified and healthy pot noodle/ cup a soup type flavours and manage your expectations from there

4 Likes

Really? I’m not being a corporate fanboy here, just curious. I had a mate over when we were like the only tier 1 area in the country lol, and without explaining I fed him tacos using Mexican chilli. We had a few tacos each, had shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole, soured cream, grated cheddar and didn’t notice any difference.

When we got a. It low on the chilli I explained how I made it and he just sort off shrugged so I made some more and we both just continued with our meal.

Also I completely owned him at super mariokart 8.

But yeah anyway I am surprised at your view.

Please make sure you’re mixing the ingredients round really well, the Thai Gren Curry should have a bite. But! The ingredients do settle, so I always recommend to everyone to mix them up properly with a large serving spoon or whatever.

I’m well into my Thai food but also my ex-wife is Indian so I’m used to seriously spicy food! But if the Thai Green Curry isn’t carrying any kind of heat then something is wrong.

it nevers tastes as good as what you could cook for lunch

You clearly have never tasted my cooking. You’d be surprised. I used to struggle to even properly cook pasta not long ago…

1 Like

Madly cool trick with pasta.

Put in bowl, fill with water about an inch over the top of the pasta.

Look at packet to see how long it needs to be cooked for at boiling point.

Put in microwave. Add two minutes to total time. Stir halfway.

End product: bowl of cooked pasta ready for whatever sauce you have lol. Or if you’re cheap like me, bit of butter and half a chopped onion will sort you out haha.

1 Like

I’m glad you totally owned him at mariokart 8.
However you missed my point. I mean you’re adding the taco, lettuce, salsa, guacamole, soured cream and grated cheddar… It would be weird if it didnt taste similar.
But huel is meant originally to be eaten by itself. So you should be comparing a whole normal Taco, with a cup of Huel. And then let your friend choose.

Hi @mbs thanks for the suggestion but I am very happy with most of huels offerings. :hugs:

Wondering if you push Huel on another product’s forum? Not really a great idea.

2 Likes

Guys, you might disagree with @mbs’s mention of another company here. After all, this forum is indeed to discuss Huel’s products, not other company’s. But his post makes sense in the context, and - more importantly - he is not breaking any Rules - Huel with it if I understood the rules correctly. I see people talking about Revolut and Starling in Monzo’s forums. I see people talking about Vanguard and other trading platforms in Freetrade. I’ve never seen anyone complaining about these mentions and comparisons there. You don’t make your product better by strongly hiding the fact there’s competition, so if that’s the policy Huel would follow I can’t say I’d like to support Huel as brand myself.

Btw, we are the ones breaking the rules, as it states [Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream.], which is clearly what’s happening with this discussion.

1 Like

I think it’s just bad manners to proffer an alternative company’s offerings on a forum dedicated tons competitor.

If youngish to big up that competitor then either go there or use a neutral forum such as Reddit.

I reported that post actually, because I thought it was just out of line. We here are all absolutely dedicated to nutrition to a greater or lesser degree and we support one another as users of a specific product.

I use ZMA, I use Myoplex, I use Maximuscle, I use a bunch of stuff that until this post I have never mentioned before because I have respect for this brand and this community.

The company seems great, but what really makes a difference to me personally is the community we have here. And we don’t create that community by mentioning competition products.

Sorry, you’re right, just wanted to help; I have problems holding back information that I have and that might be good for other people. Another possibility would be adding the desired ingredients to a Huel product. Maybe you have good suggestions on what to use to get the product that vsc was looking for. I can’t because I have never tried Huel H+S (I can’t have solid food) so I can not know which one to use for that purpose.

Thank you for the explanation, @Kaedius345 !