Do the "hot & savoury" options taste as advertised?

Hey guys, I see both sides of this. Will bullet out my thoughts:

• This is a Huel forum, so yes let’s 99 times out of 100 discuss Huel products when we’re discussing products
  • I agree with @Talort that it is good manners/etiquette to not discuss them
  • However if they naturally come up in conversation that’s OK, I agree with @rafaelclp that it makes sense in the context here. What is unacceptable is starting a provocative thread like “Should I buy [competitor product] or Huel?” or similar. I would close such a thread as this would be better placed on r/soylent (confusingly a subreddit for all complete foods, despite the name)
  • But in general, 99/100 let’s keep it Huel focussed.

Hope that makes sense, I will add this into the rules!

Now, back to Hot & Savoury!

3 Likes

Apologies if I came across a bit harsh.

Ok so… if I eat spoonfuls of chilli on its own, or I eat spoonfuls of Mexican chilli H&S on its own, I don’t think I could tell the difference.

We are of course in lockdown so I can’t have friends around for my usual experiments on them lol. In the past our ‘single blokes taco Thursday’ or ‘single blokes fajita Friday’ have been a brilliant test bed for stuff like using quorn rather than meat.

But I promise that when we resume, I’ll sneak in some huel and i bet they won’t notice the difference then either!

Well obviously you don’t want to understand what I’m saying

?

No I do! Explain and I’m totally receptive. Promise!

Received my three bags of the new flavours today and thought I would try the sweet and sour.

As others have said it’s quite thick, but I prefer thick so that was good.

It’s nice, it does have a subtle sweet and sour taste but I was hoping for much more. They could have added pineapple (pineapple freeze dries really well) or similar to really elevate that flavour.
I’m a big fan of the Hot & Savoury’s and this is a good addition. Looking forward to trying the Korma and Madras next couple of days.

To be fair, it’s more like a thick soup, biggest pieces are grains of rice or a raison. So personally wouldn’t class it as solid food, but I say that having no concept of what you are/aren’t allowed to have…

Maybe drop one of the Huel team a message and chat to them about it’s suitability? If it’s something you may be interested in.

Don’t lose anything by asking. and good luck with whatever is going on…

If something as simple as a food choice scares you I suggest you stay clear and stick to stuff you are familiar with

What’s your favourite my next H&S will be one of these new ones

Personally I think they do not taste as good as the unhealthy options you have out there. But the one that probably taste closer to the name is the Thai green curry, it does have the taste of a Thai green curry. It is not as spicy as it is advertised, at least for my taste so I always add extra cayenne pepper on mine.
After the Thai, I think that the best one is the tomato and herbs. It is a pretty safe option but I’m not sure there are unhealthy options to compare it to.
The chilli beans, are in my opinion, the worse one. It does not compare to what you find out there or can cook for yourself. It is not kidney beans either. It is black eyed peas, and the taste is not like chilli at all. I do regret buying it and I am struggling to eat it.
The madras is ok but it is bland when compared to unhealthy options, etc. I do try to add extra spices to give it more flavour.
Overall, I have found that using broth instead of just hot water gives te H&S better flavour.

Once again illustrates how subjective taste is.

4 Likes

Agreed. Tomato and herb for me is just yuck. But loads of others seem to love it lol.

Im surprised at someone adding cayenne to TGC tho. For me that’s totally the wrong kind of spice. Don’t get me wrong I love it but just don’t thing its right for Thai flavours.

Maybe some grated peppers (you can freeze peppers so they’re way easier) and a bit of ginger ? Again you can freeze ginger.

I really enjoy the Tomato and Herb option. I have this every day for my lunch with a couple of slices of wholemeal toast. It is the only one so far that I’ve tried as I’m not keen on spicy foods.

I posted this on a different thread but would be very interested in seeing other non-spicy options become available (maybe twists on gastro-pub style foods or something similar).

1 Like

Happy Hueliversary @danielmg

Thank you @Bee. I wonder if there will be a Birthday (sorry Huelday) cake in the future? :slight_smile:

I got my Sweet and sour & Korma yesterday and I tried out the Sweet and sour taste, I can unfortunately say that it blew my mind in how horrible the taste was, I was on the verge of barfing on my 5th spoon, I went for McDonalds instead to wash away the taste with something, but after McDonald and brushing my teethes I went to bed with the horrible taste still left in my mouth :frowning: how is this even possible? I don’t know what I should add to make it somewhat edible.

1 Like

I mix sweet and sour (one scoop of each) with Thai Green Curry or Madras. I do the same with Tomato and Herb as I’m not too keen on either S&S or T&H on their own. Am doing this to use up the bags and it works well for me.

Gosh that’s quite a dislike to it, sorry you really don’t like Sweet & Sour. It certainly isn’t any maccies! But I would definitely echo Bee’s suggestion on mixing it half and half with another of our flavours - tomato and herb would be good. I love adding hot sauce to mine.

Ah okey, maybe I should have ordered something else than Korma to be able to mix them a little, as I see many comments about Korma being a bit bland, so maybe that won’t change the taste very much.

You ever mix it with something I can buy from the supermarket?

Yes, it’s a bit sad, I was very excited about this product, since I am not very good at preparing food for work.
I was trying to differentiate the flavors to try and pinpoint what I did not like about the sweet and sour, it’s something with the sour after taste I think? At least with my limited tasting, the immediate taste was not that bad.

Any tips that does not involve mixing with another hot and savoury product?