Does cooking Huel damage the nutrients?

I’m a big fan of Huel and have it every lunch as a shake.

I had a go at making Huel bars/flapjacks myself. I was inspired by the Huel Bar but a bit put off by the cost (and it being only 250 cals). I’d like something like that for when I’m on the train etc and don’t want to be carrying a shaker that might spill in my bag.

I used Honey, butter and almond butter to bind it. I tried lightly baking one ~500 calorie bar and it was pretty decent. Huel made up 400 calories of this. I know its not as healthy as Huel + water but I imagine its pretty decent compared to most things you can eat on the go.

I’ve seen it written somewhere before that cooking Huel damages the nutrients in it? Is this true?

1 Like

Heating Huel to high temperatures will damage some of the more labile micronutrients like Vitamin C and certain B vitamins yes. Less so when baked compared to straight up heating, but there will still be degradation.

Do you have any pictures of the bars? Would love to see!

Can you post a recipe?

i bake a huel loaf of bread every day (mixed with reg flour) but wanted to know how many of the ingredients/nutrients of the huel were being lost due to baking (in bread machine) and then the subsequent toasting.

Am basically loving and living on huel bread and need to know how much of the good stuff I am losing…

Is… is this an option…?

Ryan this thread is older than the Tyrannosaurus rex. Why have you resurrected it :stuck_out_tongue:

I blame that “suggested topics” box at the bottom. It’s always dredging up old shite.

1 Like

Never even noticed that before lol

1 Like

You haven’t noticed suggestions like:

Will Huel cost more after decimalisation?

Using Huel to prevent scurvy when sailing to the new world

Damn Trojans could feed themselves for years with all that Huel. Got any bright ideas, Odysseus?

5 Likes

I didn’t even understand his comment.
Is what an option?
Eating bread?!

And yeah I’ve been caught out by the thread suggestions at the bottom of the page. It occasionally shows one in bold and you click on it thinking it’s something new and then you look an idiot for ranting about Black Friday sales when the thread turns out to have been from 4 years ago.

It doesn’t help that Dec 16 and Dec ‘16 are three years apart.

3 Likes

Thanks @David that’s very true, and makes me feel better. As does knowing I’m not the only one who can’t sleep and is attempting to distract myself on the internet at 2am :laughing:
I’ve got an operation tomorrow. What’s your excuse?

2 Likes

I’m realigning my sleep patterns in preparation for my Thursday night drunk election despairathon. Sleepy now though.

I hope your operation goes so smoothly that you find yourself, months from now, wishing you could have it all over again.

1 Like

if its any consolation - I’m mid morning in the office dealing with craziness wishing I’d stayed home in bed

I hope your day improves immeasurably and makes you glad you got up.

I had another crap nights sleep. I don’t know what’s happened to me, normally I’m fine sleeping. I had 3 bourbon biscuits before bed. I don’t really know why tbh so I’m blaming them.

Did you have a hangover in the morning?

1 Like