Does Huel Contain Yeast?

Hi guys,

Just wondering if Huel would be suitable for a yeast-free diet or at least one that attempts to reduce yeast intake?

Thanks,

Huel doesn’t contain yeast. Is this in reference to candida?

Hi Tim, no my question is in reference to a temporary elimination diet I’m on that requires no yeast. I take Huel daily and I just didn’t want to compromise the diet. I’m now glad to hear that won’t be the case, thanks!

1 Like

Why does it list selenium yeast on the list of ingredients?
Here is the wikipedia description of selenium yeast.

Search Results

Web results

[

Selenium yeast - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Selenium_yeast
](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selenium_yeast)

Selenium yeast , produced by fermenting Saccharomyces cerevisiae in a selenium -rich media, is a recognized source of organic food-form selenium . … Owing to its similarity to S-containing methionine, selenomethionine is taken up nonspecifically and becomes part of yeast protein.

I’m confused I didn’t see selenium yeast in the ingredients - there’s Selenium in the minerals listings but that isn’t the same as selenium yeast which is something that is just rich in the mineral Selenium.

Selenium yeast is the labeling term for a source of selenium that’s derived from certain types of yeast. It’s an approved source of selenium fortification in the EU and US, with high bioavailability - the optimum choice for us to use where we need to add additional selenium.

RTD v1.0 has added selenium in this form to bring up the shortfall that the main ingredients don’t provide.

Selenium yeast is definitely in the list of ingredients.

As far as I can tell it’s still yeast. There was one forum that said they didn’t use it for that reason and that there is a yeast free selenium available for those intolerant of yeast. I’m concerned about this as I just want to know the truth. I’m no biologist so can only go by what I find on the net basically. Are you catagorically saying that this form of yeast is okay somehow?

Hi there, I will let James reply to your points regarding the science. But just a few points which might help you understand @Phil_C’s comments and my post that you replied to:

• Selenium yeast is only listed as an ingredient in our Ready-to-drink
  • The post of mine you replied to above was from September 2018, when at the time selenium yeast was not listed as an ingredient because our RTD didn’t exist. So at the time it was accurate
  • Our Huel Powder does not list selenium yeast because we do not have to add selenium to Huel Powder. The ingredients used between RTD and Powder are different and selenium in Huel Powder is all provided from the whole ingredients, not the vitamin and mineral blend
  • All nutritional information for Huel can be found at huel.com in the ‘Nutrition’ section

Hope that helps, James will reply to your question shortly I’m sure.

2 Likes

Thanks that does throw light on some of the seeming contradictions for the listed ingredients. I’ve not tried the powder but have tried the ready drink. Didn’t check the ingredients till I’d half drunk it. On the positive side it tasted fine and did seem to fill me up but I’d probably prefer to go for the yeast free powdered form. Unfortunately Ocado don’t sell that and I don’t want to commit to a large batch until I know for sure that I’m going to like it. I think it’s a brilliant idea for busy people like me who want to ensure that they get all their nutrients but haven’t always got the time to cook from scratch and sometimes eat quick meals that don’t have all the goodness in that we really need. Wish I could try a sample of the powdered version.

Hi @onecar - the selenium yeast does have the presence of yeast. However, it is only a sub-ingredient of the vitamin mineral blend and subsequently is only present in a minute amount. I’ve done some quick calculations and the added selenium is about 0.0016% of Huel RTD and the yeast is only a fraction of that. You probably inhale more yeast when you walk by a bakery!

4 Likes

I’m allergic to yeast - worst reaction from dried/autolysed found in processed food or beer/bread so I haven’t eaten those in decades save the rare slice of toast. I get lesions in my colon with continued exposure.

I’ve had no reaction besides the typical gut adjustments. I’ve been minimum 2 a day since December so I’m certain it isn’t affecting me at all.

Just made some soda bread - no yeast in it.

So is there no yeast in v3?
I’ve been getting very similar symptoms to what is usually triggered by yeast, since moving from v2.3 to v3.
It’s hard to know exactly what in v3 is causing the problems though. It didn’t start immediately - it’s taken a few weeks to develop.
I’m going to go back to v2.3 for now…

Can you pop through all your old posts and do a quick revision of them to avoid any future confusion? :crazy_face:

1 Like

There is, a very tiny amount.

1 Like