Dry Lips / Dehydration

Hey, on day 6 of a breakfast lunch Huel diet.

I love it and am amazed a hoe it keeps hunger at bat better than my usual healthy but inconvenient diet of a similar calorie intake ( I’m doing 7 scoops to last me from waking to dinner).

I thought it would also help as I never drink enough water but I found straight away by end of day one my lips getting really dry and cracked. I don’t have a cold or other symptoms and otherwise feel healthier than normal.

Could this do with Huel? I’ll monitor over the coming weeks.

Still think Huel is amazing and would STRONGLY recommend!

Sorry to say, but I have found that when drinking huel, I need to drink even more water!
Huel has quite a high fibre content, so you’ll really need to up your fluid intake a little to deal with that.
Try drinking an extra litre or so a day and see how you get on with that.

@rosenthaller we do recommend that you drink plenty of fluid when using Huel. The exact amount is very difficult to say but you if you are thirsty, have a dry mouth, etc you should up your intake. On this NHS cracked lips is not listed as a sign of dehydration. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dehydration/pages/introduction.aspx

This time of year I do get cracked lips, even thought I use Huel all year round, so I put it down to the cold and windy weather.

I’m having a similar experience as well. I try to keep the huel off my lips as much as possible, if drinking out of glass rather than a shake bottle I find the mixture dries my lips out. Nothing serious like them cracking but I have noticed the difference.

Like others have said in this thread be sure to drink plenty of water while using huel, I made the mistake of thinking the water content in it would make me more hydrated than ever but I had a few “toilet difficulties” until I started drinking an extra litre or so a day :sweat_smile:

Yes, I particularly get cracked corners of my lips in the winter. This is because the air is dryer in the winter. This is also the reason why people tend to get colds in the winter. It’s not because we are colder. I think unless the temperature is so low that you get hypothermia, your body is actually very good at regulating body temperature.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/01/13/low-humidity-health-effects.aspx

Thanks Julian, but that page does list dry lips mouth and eyes as symptoms of dehydration. The cracked lips are just from being so dry!

Came off Huel for the weekend (my plan was to only use Huel on weekdays anyway). Lips back to normal by monday.

Now on Tuesday (day 2 of Huel for breakfast and lunch) my lips are dry and peeling, despite having drank 2l of water to 2 scoops of Huel today.

If I keep that up I’ll be drinking 6 litres of water a day! Is that normal!?

Again not a complaint but an observation. Seems that most people are fine.

Hey rosenthaller - I know it’s been almost a year since you posted this, but I’d be really interested to know how you got on as I’m having similar issues after 6 days on 100-200g of Huel. Dry mouth is my biggest issue, especially when it wakes me up in the night (so dry!) and now the dry lips has started…

Did your symptoms settle down, or did you end up having to choose between abandoning Huel or continuing with it and putting up with the symptoms?

I also experience this, I wonder if it’s just due to how hard the water is in London. I find that immediately after drinking Huel my lips feel dry - and the jug itself also feels dry. I might experience with filtering the water first.

I don’t think it’s anything to do with Huel. I was away at a friend’s wedding and didn’t take any with me for 4 nights, and my lips remained dry. It’s just the lovely British weather.

Just carry lip balm with you, Lush has a lovely honey and mint one, works a treat. I also try to drink plenty of tea and water through the day.

And try not to lick your lips to re-hydrate them, the digestion chemicals in your saliva can actually break the skin down and make it feel even more tender, the lips have the thinnest skin on your body! It’s amazing the random facts you pick up from podcasts.

If that were true then I would have experienced this before using Huel, which I haven’t. It’s also consistently within 30 minutes of drinking Huel, and doesn’t otherwise occur during the day. In terms of drinking, I’m staying pretty hydrated (at around 2l a day)

I experienced this too when i tried huel. I was using huel for all my calories plus a few fruits to eat. I had very intense dry mouth which i never had before in my life. It even woke me up once it was so bad. I was drinking additional water ontop of huel too. I wonder why it causes such a depletion of water in the body