Vegan Chilli Con Carne (serves 4 - cooking time 30 mins)
- 700g Beyond Meat Ground ‘Beef’ (or equivalent – Impossible etc.)
- 100g Hot & Savoury Tomato + Herb w.400ml boiling water
- 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 400g tin Red Kidney Beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 2 medium peppers chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Mixed Mexican Spices or chilli powder
- HP Sauce
- Fry the garlic, onions and peppers in large non-stick pan/wok until softened.
- Add the ground meat substitute, breaking up to desired crumble sizes
- Add spices and ensure all ingredients are coated.
- When meat is browned, add tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While simmering, in a large bowl, make up H&S, stir and cover.
- Add H&S mixture to the pan stirring all ingredients together.
- Add Kidney beans and decent amount of HP and Tabasco.
- Cook on medium heat an additional 20 minutes, topping up with water or stock if needed.
- Season to taste during cooking if needed.
I made this to share with friends and served with tortilla bread and chips along with a dip made from 3 medium (or 2 large) avocados mashed and mixed with lemon juice and 150g of vegan cream cheese. If you wanted to add a little more texture to the dip you could add a small tin of sweetcorn kernels (rinsed and drained). Very simple and filling meal to make. We had this as a main meal but would serve more if used with rice/baked spud etc.