Flavour Boosts - too sweet?

For me they’re a little too sweet. And they taste a bit ‘chemically’ whatever that means.

Yes, overall the amount is very little, like 3% as you said, but I dont want to use maltodextrine, that is purely sugar.

I find no need to use sugar in the flavours, seems like you need to fill the package with something cheap. I would like only the pure flavour, if we find it need sugar or salt we would correct ourselves but dont preadd.

I ditched Joylent for Huel because of maltodextrine and I would like to use flavours in the next months but having again maltodextrine seems like a backwards step

That is my opinion :slight_smile:

I think there is a little bit of maltodextrin in flavoured Huels too though. If I didn’t missunderstand it. Not sure how much.

Thanks for that!

It’s worth noting the Flavour Boosts don’t work without sweetener, we’ve tried. We can’t just add flavouring since they kind of work together in harmony, like how you add salt to your cooking to enhance the flavour. But totally appreciate your view, do you add your own flavourings currently?

The amount is miniscule, like literally so tiny we don’t have to label it and actually it would be misleading for us to label it. The fats in Huel need to be spray dried so are encapsulated/carried in maltodextrin. The vitamin mineral blend used to be entirely carried by maltodextrin but we’ve swapped it for coconut flour, however there are still vitamins that are universally supplied that are carried by maltodextrin, like b12.

I must reiterate that the amount of maltodextrin in Huel is so, so, so tiny. The negative reputation for it is purely because it is a high GI carb, nothing else, and we don’t use it as a source of carbs.

1 Like

Tim I know Huels stance on maltodextrin and I definately agree with it and I do trust you use the absolute minimum needed for the purposes you just mentioned. I’m absolutely fine with that. Do you have any number on how much maltodextrin there is per 100 grams of Huel though?

Right now i use cocoa and peanut butter. I always put a pinch of salt

For me I wouldn’t say too sweet, just too synthetic. I’ve got a sweet tooth so vanilla works for me, but the flavour boosts I’ve tried (chocolate and toffee so far) tasted far too much like sweetener. I’ll keep trying as I got a mixed pack but so far I prefer adding my own flavours, sorry!

1 Like

Good question that I should have preempted. I’ll check in with the big man JC and get back to you.

2 Likes

Used Mocha, rhubarb, and Matcha so far. Only the Matcha is palatable with 2 scoops u/u and 1 scoop original. The others are synthetic tasting beyond belief and I won’t re order. Won’t do the flavour boosts in the future as they are way too artificial. Would rather drink u/u on its own.

Thought I’d just put some input here - I have bought the mint chocolate preblend and it is nice, however I feel like it could be a bit stronger, I’d like it to taste like an actual chocolate milkshake! I used vanilla with mocha sachet today for 3 scoops and that was stronger than the mint chocolate preblend. I think the flavour boosts give more…

I add half a teaspoon of raw cacao powder to the mint choc premix and that makes it delicious! The mint choc flavour boost is more chocolatey than the premix. But I find adding cacao powder to the premix works well. I find because the premix is less intense it’s actually easier to drink more frequently. The flavour boosts are great for variety and the premix for every day

2 Likes

I ordered the tester pack with U/U. I tried one (I try not to use too much sweetener). I found it sweet and synthetic tasting. I’ve stuck to fruit/ coffee/ oat milk and honey. Doubt I’ll try any others. I’d try ones without sweetener.

1 Like

Thinking you knock a nail on its head with this one. The three scoop mocha was too strong for me yesterday, after about 1.5 scoops it was making me feel sick. The mint chocolate preblend is definitely better as the mildness makes it better in larger quantities…

1 Like

Too much sweetener taste! It takes out any other flavour for me. Tried cacao and caramel. The first one was caramel with chocolate Huel, the second time was a third of a sachet of cacao with coffee Huel. I’m quite a newbie and I’m still trying to get my way, but it was by far too sweet and chemical taste. The after taste was neither good.

I’ve been having chocolate or coffee Huel, and loving it for two weeks now.

Thanks for the feedback. Have you tried adding less flavour boost? We recommend 2g per 100g but that’s just a suggestion.

An odd aftertaste is often a sign of too much stevia for the individual.

1 Like

Some people find stevia gives an artificial sweet and bitter after taste, other people find sucralose has a nasty sweet taste but like stevia.
We all have different taste buds!
Personally I find the stevia boosts tastes natural and delicious :yum:
But I really dislike the sucralose in all the flavoured huels.

If you like the coffee and chocolate premixes as they are, maybe just give the flavour boosts a miss!
If you want something different you could try adding flavour drops which are usually sweetened with sucralose. Or add your own natural flavourings :blush:

1 Like

Apparently cacao is ok.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions! I’m really thinking is the stevia. It seems Sucralose works fine for me :). I tried with one gram for 100g coffee Huel, and it was still way too… the sweetness was not a problem but the after taste. I think I will try with just natural flavorings, and maybe even the unsweetened Huel when the coffee is finished.

3 Likes

To me, the ratio of sweetener to flavour is too much on the side of the sweetener, or to put it the other way round, there is too little flavour for the sweetness. With some more than others.

If I use 1/2 teaspoon on 70g Huel UU, the sweetener is not too strong for me, but the flavour a bit weak. If I use more flavour boost, the sweetener sticks out too much (less so with matcha, I can use 1 teaspoon of it, the flavour masks it sufficiently).

Edit: Thinking about it, it’s not only the sweetness per se, but the aftertaste. I think in a higher flavour-to-sweetener-ratio it would be maskes better.

I don’t perceive a difference between the aftertaste of the flavour boosts with stevia, and the premixes I have tried (original vanilla, berry and coffee) which are with sucralose I think.