Heartburn/Indigestion on Huel

Let me start by saying that I love Huel. I particularly love the vanilla flavour and was Huelling 100% at one point but I’m about to give up here due to the constant, low level heartburn I get when I consume the vanilla flavour. I’ve tried the UU but I really can’t take to it AND it doesn’t fill me up.

Apart from non stop omeprazole, has anyone got any ideas how to solve this issue? I’ve tried mixing vanilla with half UU, I’ve tried following it with a drink of water.

Other than that I feel amazing on Huel - I even lost a bit of weight and I’m training for a 10k. I’ve definitely noticed a drop in running performance the last few days that I’ve non-hueled.

Help, please

Nik x

2 Likes

Interesting, my indigestion completely disappeared after using Huel; definitely one of the benefits for me. Have you tried mixing UU and Vanilla?

3 Likes

I use gluten free Huel. I’m on prescribed reflux medication and since I started using Huel three weeks ago for breakfast and lunch I’ve never had an episode of reflux. Huel has improved my digestion considerably that I’m thinking of ditching omeprazole. I have colleagues who also suffer from reflux and they seem interested in the benefits of Huel.

1 Like

Me too, used to get a lot of bad indigestion at night. Only happens now if I break with my Huel diet and have say a Jalfrezi

Yep another omeprazole prescription here - musch inproved with Huel vs previous shitty high carb/fat bad habits!
xx

1 Like

I’ve scaled back my usage of Omeprazol to one every 36 hours rather than every 24 since using Huel :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have also just started on Huel and I’ve also noticed it gives me heartburn for a few hours afterwards which is unpleasant. Any suggestions? Is it worth trying the gluten free version? I just bought 28 meals worth though which is a pain. I don’t think I am gluten intolerant.

1 Like

Typically, since starting this thread, the indigestin has almost completely disappeared. Although I’m not 100% Huel at the moment. I have a stinking cold which serves me right for not taking my Huel :slight_smile:
Nik

I find I get a tiny bit of heartburn if I make it too thick. How thick do you make it?

Oh that’s interesting. I like it quite thick - 500g water to 100g of huel. BUT I usually make it up at night to thicken overnight and use the next day. Recently I’m just not organised enough to make it up the night before and am making it up maybe half an hour before drinking so its not as thick as usual.

I wonder if its the thickness that causes the issue?

Nik

Well this is interesting.
I’m on Omeprazole due to gastric relfux aided by a hiatus hernia.
When I was on solid food I wasn’t getting any reflux as the omeprazole was doing its job. However now that I’m on about 60% Huel I’m getting it in the evenings, nowhere near as painful as when I first had it before being diagnosed but still it’s there & it’s concerning (having seen an uncle die in under a year from throat cancer caused by weaning himself off Omeprazole thinking his reflux was under control by diet alone without seeking medical attention has made me VERY cautious).
I tend to have solid food for breakfast & then graze on 2 x 400ml vanilla Huel through the day & evening to make my other 2 meals. I like it thicker using 100g of Huel with the 400ml of water.
By the time I’ve gone to bed a few hours later the pain has subsided & I have no more issues again until the following evening.
Any thoughts?

Col

I tried going 100% Huel straight away, without a transition period, and am having absolutely no problems whatsoever. In fact, my digestion may even have improved!

I got a bit of heartburn when I first used it and very occasionally now. I put more water in it and the make sure I drink plenty of water afterwards too

From what I can see reports of heartburn / indigestion from Huel have been around since it began. The team haven’t ignored it, but it’s clearly been very difficult to pinpoint.

From my personal experience, when I first started on Huel I had 114g of Vanilla + half a teaspoon banana flavour. I used to get regular heartburn. I have 5 of the 7 flavours and it was the same whichever flavour I added.

To work on my fat loss, I dropped my Huels to 90g with flavour and the problem reduced massively. It has reduced even further now I have stopped adding one of the flavours. I still get a little bit now, but it’s very minor and goes quickly.

OK so I’ve been having a play around with how I have my Huel and having it thinner eradicates the heartburn. I’ve only been having one a day lately - for breakfast - and the benefits of having several Huel a day far outweigh the risk of a bit of heartburn.

I think I’m going to have to review the “how to flavour” thread because, frozen fruit Huel is starting to get a wee bit boring. :frowning: How come chocolate never gets boring? or icecream?

Nik x

1 Like

I put a bit of bicarbonate of soda in every pot after getting a bit of heart burn. Stopped it :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s interesting, I’ll give that a go, thanks x

Nik

OK, I’m back 100% Huelling and no indigestion! Why? Well its not the Huel that gives me the indigestion, it would appear to be the fruit I blend it with …

Bad frozen cherries, bad, bad boys!

1 Like

It’s not the fruit as such, it the combination of fruit with a high protein meal:

Fruit should be eaten alone or with other fruit on an empty stomach.

This is because when fruit is eaten, the digestive process works very quickly and our body uses different enzymes to digest the fruit. The simple sugars contained in fruit need time to be completely absorbed by your body. When fruits are eaten alone, your stomach can more easily process all of the nutrients, fibre and the simple sugars contained in the fruit. This is the optimal ‘proper way’ to benefit from the fruit you eat. If you eat fruit close to a meal, especially right after a larger meal and combine with other foods, it’s held in the stomach too long along with other foods and will rot and ferment in the gut. If you experience indigestion, heartburn, burping and and other digestive discomforts and you blame on the meal - it could be the combination of the food, the fermentation with fruit that causes your upset stomach. If left uncontrolled it could lead to other health problems that stem from the digestive tract.

2 Likes

Another one hear with heart burn, have been taking strong nsaid though, so not sure if that was why though.