Hi everyone, new here. Weight loss question

I think if insulin levels after meals turn out very high, then it’s very bad for ketogenic dieters. If they turn out very low, then again it’s very bad for ketogenic diet. If they’re somewhat normal, then the body is somehow coping with this insane diet. My congratulations to mother nature in this case.

If i recall correctly, the hormonal response to a ketogenic meal is a lot of glucagon and a lot of insulin. In other words, the keto dieters probably still suffer from hyperinsulinemia. But I also think there is a genetic (and age) component. Maybe only the fat and/or diabetic and/or old will suffer hyperinsulinemia.

Insulin levels will increase to an extent in response to any meal. However, both ketogenic meals and intermittent fasting maintain lower overall insulin levels than alternative diets higher in carbs (and many people like practising both together to synergise the effects).

From what I remember, the hormonal response to a ketogenic meal is an extremely low insulin response - if a lot of insulin was produced, hypoglycaemic shock would follow. However, I think I know what you may be thinking of as you mention glucagon. In a non-keto-adapted individual who is just starting out with keto, there is indeed a lot of glucagon released, which converts glycogen stored in the liver into glucose, raising blood sugar levels, and hence insulin. However, this only occurs for the first few days of a ketogenic diet (there are finite stores of glycogen), and the aim with a ketogenic diet is to keep going long past the point that glycogen stores are depleted. At that stage, glucagon doesn’t have any effect, and insulin and blood sugar levels remain much lower than in typical diets.

The ketogenic diet is actually particularly suited for those with diabetes due to the overall low blood sugar levels

Here you again prove that you don’t know what you’re speaking about…

Please don’t take this as an insult, please take it as a statement of fact.

When body is starving of glucose, it has to conserve the little that there is. All the various parts of your body have to play a complex dance all together to make sure that the glucose is used exactly where it has to be used. Hopefully mother nature has “designed” everything perfect. But I wouldn’t gamble my health on this.

But let’s see some real data then we comment on that. As example, I can submit this:

Please read the comments. You’ll see people with excess blood sugar on keto diet.

Can a mod ban me or User3532? It will save time & offence to bystanders. Thanks.

2 Likes

Too much insulin is extremely well known to result in hypoglycaemic shock - so well known, in fact, that it is a focal point of an extremely well-known film by Christopher Nolan. If this were not the case, why would diabetics injecting insulin have to measure it so carefully, instead of just taking a huge amount?

“In summary, the LCKD had positive effects on body weight, waist measurement, serum triglycerides, and glycemic control in a cohort of 21 participants with type 2 diabetes. Most impressive is that improvement in hemoglobin A1c was observed despite a small sample size and short duration of follow-up, and this improvement in glycemic control occurred while diabetes medications were reduced substantially in many participants.” - A low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet to treat type 2 diabetes - PMC

And, as a sort of nail in the coffin for your argument, this article: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2018/jan/ketogenic-diet-beats-low-fat-in-study-of-patients-with-prediabetes-and-type-2-diabetes-90539472.html

Which has these wonderful sections:

"The results showed that the keto group lost more weight (7.9 kg) than the low fat group did (1.7 kg). Furthermore, HbA1c reductions were greater on a keto diet. On keto, HbA1c reduced by 6 mmol/mol (0.5%) compared to 2 mmol/mol (0.2%) on low fat.

Six out of 10 of the keto group who were on diabetes medication were able to come off the medication. None of the six people on diabetes medication in the low fat group were able to stop theirs.

There were some interesting weight loss findings. Within the first six months, the keto group lost much more weight than the low fat group (6.1 kg compared to 1.7 kg). This is interesting because during the first six months, the low fat group recorded a lower calorie intake than the keto group (1,480 kcal compared with 1,590 kcal).

Another finding was that the low fat group found it harder to restrict calories by the 12-month mark. Calorie intake had risen to 1,680 kcal in the low fat group whilst the keto group were eating fewer calories (1,530 kcal) by the end of the study period.

These results show two things: lower calorie intake did not show better weight loss, and restricting carbohydrate intake appears to make it easier to stick to a lower energy intake long-term than trying to restrict fat intake.

Overall, the greater weight loss, lower HbA1c and reduced need for medication shows the ketogenic diet to be a stronger choice of diet than a low fat, low calorie diet that is currently favoured by the NHS."

You can’t just make a comment like “Here you again prove that you don’t know what you’re speaking about…” and then pretend it isn’t intended as an insult, instead a statement of fact. I’ve once again backed up everything I’ve said with research papers and articles that discuss other research to the direct contradiction of your points.

Yes, but as you adapt more and more to a ketogenic diet over the first 1-2 months, you get better and better at only getting the glucose necessary and using ketones from fat for the rest of your energy. You again fail to take into account with your article that the body adapts over time, you don’t pay attention to the points made in the article you yourself linked (which itself seems to advocate for the ketogenic diet), and you make no distinction between blood glucose levels and insulin levels. For weight loss, as this thread is about, you want low insulin levels. Studies I have linked above show it is also fitting for diabetics, which is likely due to the more stable blood sugar levels.

1 Like

I suggested this to them before…

@IcyElemental @GTIPuG

Guys, what have a told you about feeding the troll?! You’ve given “it” a 3 course meal… Just not a keto one apparently! :wink:

2 Likes

But it’s just a statement of fact. It seems you have never heard of insulin resistance. How can I have a discussion on insulin levels with someone who has never heard of insulin resistance?

You’re also supposed to known that under keto or very low carb diet, there is a ton of insulin resistance, and insulin has almost zero effect on blood sugars. This is why it’s difficult to see how insulin will play out under such a diet. I simply don’t know. We’ve to see data.

I’ve submitted a piece of observational data, taken from a pro low carb website.

@User3532 for someone who suggests charging £100 for their time, you seem to have a lot of said time on your hands. Go home.

Of course I’ve heard of insulin resistance, I’d seriously question whether or not you have though. This site has a good selection of studies (all of which are cited) to this effect. Some of the quotes from those studies are as below:

“More significantly, insulin sensitivity improved by approximately 75%- a dramatic increase.”

"Additionally, the VLCARB diet lowered triglycerides more than the other two diets. Because of these collective findings, the researchers suggested that “VLCARB may be useful in the short-term management of subjects with insulin resistance and hypertriacylglycerolemia.”

“fat mass in the abdominal region, associated with many features of the insulin resistance syndrome, was similarly decreased significantly more in subjects consuming the CRD than subjects following the LFD (-828 g vs -506 g).” These results suggest that low-carbohydrate ketogenic diets confer additional benefits to people with high levels of insulin.”

I could go on.

Please replace “heard” with “understood” then. You see that you’re forcing me to do this?

If you had understood insulin reisistance, you would have understood it’s all about sparing glucose, and it’s of utomost importance to understand how low carb diets work (or don’t).

But clearly you have not understood. I don’t know how to say it more politely than this.

Anyway, from my understanding, the key question is the level of insulin after meals. If it is out of normal range, then ketogenic diet is clearly untenable long term. If it is ok, then it may be tenable.

Again, your ego refuses to let you even consider your understanding may be wrong. Various studies I have linked have shown the ketogenic diet improves insulin sensitivity in those with diabetes and pre-diabetes, and yet you continue to act as if it can’t possibly do this.

Insulin resistance comes about due to high-carb (or, probably more accurately, high-GI carb) diets. These diets cause a huge flux of insulin to cells, and without going into too much unnecessary detail, like with the relative refractory period of action potentials, the cells become so used to such a large number of receptors being occupied by insulin that, in order to generate the same blood-sugar lowering response, more insulin needs to bind to the receptors. In essence, a unit of insulin becomes less effective. Insulin resistance isn’t the body trying to spare glucose at all, it’s an unintended consequence of chronically high insulin levels. This is also why another method of improving symptoms in someone who is pre-diabetic (and even those with type 2 diabetes) is for them to cut out refined sugars and other high-GI foods - such an action lowers the chronically high insulin levels and insulin resistance goes down. The same can be achieved with a high-carb diet, but less effectively, and the carbs consumed would have to be very low-GI.

Ketogenic diets lower overall insulin levels for a long enough time that those cells can become more used to the lower levels, and begin to see a blood-glucose lowering effect from those lower levels - basically, they improve insulin sensitivity (decreasing insulin resistance). Intermittent fasting is able to achieve a similar effect, because the longer you go since your last meal, the lower your insulin levels will be (obviously up to a certain point). The combo of ketogenic diet + intermittent fasting is particularly good at this, for pretty obvious reasons when you think about what causes insulin to be released.

2 Likes

Not only you don’t understand what I’m saying, but you don’t even understand that you don’t understand what I’m saying! And the problem is my EGO! AHAHA! :smiley: The problem is YOUR EGO!

I responded to your point. Perhaps the logical assumption, if you’re claiming I did not, is that you didn’t make your point clear. Worth thinking about. Have a good night.

I’ll explain to you like you’re a children (content removed for not complying with Forum Rules). Insulin resistance is NEEDED TO KEEP YOU ALIVE when you do a LOW CARB diet or when you’re fasting long term. It’s ALL about SPARING glucose so that it goes where it has to go (mainly to the brain and blood and liver, but there are also other uses, who knows). The question then is if the increased insulin resistance leads to increased insulin post prandrial or not. The question is what happens to your muscles and the like in a situation of permanent glucose shortage like this. I do not have all the answers, but I can see a LOT of possible problems. A LOT.

You do not even SEE the potential problems.

But it’s not insulin resistance that spares the glucose, what an odd point to make. The glucose is spared due to a lower insulin release because insulin is released, primarily, in response to carbohydrate intake. Yes, if you have a huge insulin release and low blood sugar you’ll go into hypoglycaemic shock and possibly die (a point I made a few posts back and you dismissed), but that’s never a risk because insulin levels in someone following a ketogenic diet are low.

I don’t see the “potential problems” you mention because I’ve researched the topic and know they’re unfounded.

It IS insulin resistance that spares glucose.

Buy a biochemistry textbook and learn human anatomy and the role of insulin.

Not if you’re on a low carb diet. On a low carb diet insulin does NOT lower glucose.

You’ve researched to the point where you don’t even know that low carb leads to massive insulin resistance even on people with no genetic predisposition to diabetes at all…

I repeat, the question for me is what happens to insulin levels after meals on a low carb diet. You claim to be competent on low carb diet, but you can’t answer this question?

I think probably the answer depends on the level of protein. Personaly I believe you need lot of protein to compensate for shortage of carbohydrates, but that’s just my “uninformed” opinion.

I also recommend this by Matthias, he has some citations you may want:

https://www.muscleforlife.com/low-carb-diet/

I don’t include citations in my argument because I think people should learn to use google…

And by the way, Matthias obviously is wrong on insulin resistance and sedentary people. The insulin resistant and sedentary people should stay away from low carb like everyone else.

Then why is ketosis so beneficial for improving insulin resistance?

“The large categories of disease for which ketones may have therapeutic effects are:(1)diseases of substrate insufficiency or insulin resistance” - The therapeutic implications of ketone bodies: the effects of ketone bodies in pathological conditions: ketosis, ketogenic diet, redox states, insulin resistance, and mitochondrial metabolism - PubMed

And again I link to The Effects of The Keto Diet on Insulin Resistance

This is all stuff from the second year of my degree - I’ve been there and done that. What are you suggesting is actually the case then if what I said is wrong?

Again, assertion after assertion with nothing to back it up. What is insulin doing on a low carb diet then?

You’re arguing against a tonne of data.

"And sure enough, the weight loss studies indicate that during weight loss, very low carb diets improve insulin sensitivity:

In overweight women, a diet with less than 10% of calories as carbs improved insulin sensitivity, while a 30% fat, low-fat diet reduced it.
In obese, insulin-resistant women, both high-fat and high-protein low-carb diets reduced insulin resistance, while the high-carb diet was not as effective.
In obese kids, a very low carb diet was able to reduce indices of insulin resistance along with bodyweight and body fatness." - Does Eating a Low Carb Diet Cause Insulin Resistance?

Perhaps you’re getting confused with the fact that very-low carb diets when you’re already very lean can reduce insulin sensitivity. But 1) this is a thread about weight loss, so such a factor is entirely irrelevant as the person looking to lose weight won’t be very lean, and 2) again from the article I linked above, “Once you’re lean and weight stable, though, very low carb diets (less than 10% of calories from carbs) can reduce insulin sensitivity. This is normal and totally necessary in the context of a very low carb diet. If we didn’t become insulin resistant while eating very low carb, our brain wouldn’t be able to get the glucose it needed to keep us alive.” - this only occurs when someone is already very lean and weight stable, and isn’t the same as normal insulin resistance that is encountered in pre-diabetes and diabetes - it is done to ensure adequate glucose supply to the brain, and it decreases as you become more keto-adapated.

It is not my duty to answer every single one of your questions, and to expect such from me after such a poor showing yourself is absurd. However, this image shows insulin levels after a meal in response to two different high-carb diets and one very low-carb diet. ‘High Carb 1’ refers to a diet with macronutrient ratios of 70% carbohydrates, 10% fat (3% saturated fat), and 20% protein; ‘High Carb 2’ refers to a diet with macronutrient ratios of 50% carbohydrates, 30% fat (6% saturated fat), and 20% protein; and ‘Very Low Carb’ refers to a diet with macronutrient ratios of 4% carbohydrates, 61% fats (20% saturated fat), and 35% protein. The article writing about this study states:

"the VLCARB diet lowered fasting insulin by 33% and the HUF diet lowered it by 19%. [6] The VLF diet had no impact on fasting insulin levels. Additionally, the “the VLCARB meal also provoked significantly lower post prandial glucose and insulin responses than the VLF and HUF meals.” [6] Additionally, the VLCARB diet lowered triglycerides more than the other two diets. Because of these collective findings, the researchers suggested that “VLCARB may be useful in the short-term management of subjects with insulin resistance and hypertriacylglycerolemia.”

Bearing in mind protein is less ketogenic than fat, higher protein would be suspected to lead to higher blood sugar and hence insulin levels. This is not seen in these studies, and part of the reason is because even at a 35% protein intake, gluconeogenesis from protein is minimal.

This just makes you look like you’re spouting rubbish. People can google to verify facts, but your time is no more important than theirs. If part of your reason is you don’t want to take the time to source your arguments, why should you expect anyone else to take the time to google what you say for themselves?

Yeah, I’m not gonna trust anyone who has a page on their website that looks like this. His website is dedicated to maximising sales of his ludicrously expensive ‘custom meal plans’ ($77 for those wondering), so anything he writes must be taken with a grain of salt.

Nonetheless, on the page you link alone, there are a ridiculous number of errors.

“If we’re to believe the doomsayers, eating carbohydrates produces lots of nasty insulin, which in turn triggers rapid fat storage of damn near anything we eat.” - Nope, that’s not what we say. As I already told you, insulin has an anabolic effect on fat stores, meaning while there is a high level of circulating insulin, you can’t use your body fat reserves until it clears. This is a case of not burning existing fat (which is the topic at hand), not gaining more fat.

“You Don’t Lose Fat Faster on a Low-Carb Diet” - Very few keto proponents claim that for an equal caloric intake, you lose more weight on low-carb. What they do say is that you feel less hungry on keto (which is due to the suppression of the hormone ghrelin) so you are able to comfortably eat less, making it easier to maintain a caloric deficit, which leads to faster weight loss. This guy loves to straw man just like you.

“What we’re actually looking at in these studies is a high-protein, low-carb diet vs. low-protein, higher-carb diet, and the former wins every time. But we can’t ignore the high-protein part and say it’s more effective because of the low-carb element.” - Keto is never high protein, high protein inhibits ketosis, ketosis is moderate protein, high fat, low carb. The studies he is comparing against aren’t studies against a ketogenic diet and as such aren’t relevant to our discussion.

“In many cases, the high-carb groups were given less protein than even the RDI of 0.8 grams per kg of body weight” - Not in any of the ones I’ve linked which had a protein intake of ~20%.

“It’s Easier to Overeat on a Low-Carb Diet” - Incorrect. Yes, fat is more calorically dense, but we keep coming back to this point… ghrelin, the hormone that makes you feel hungry, is suppressed. Talk to anyone who’s actually done keto and you’ll find they sometimes struggle, especially in the beginning, to consume enough food to meet their targets, simply because they aren’t hungry once adapted to ketosis.

“Well, a low-carb diet basically guarantees that you’re going to struggle with hunger.” - For, like, 3 days, a week tops. From then on, hunger basically doesn’t occur at all.

“You see, carbohydrates (and especially the fiber-rich types) have a significant impact on satiety (fullness), whereas dietary fats don’t.” - Fibre is good (but also fine to have on keto), carbs and fats have similar satiety achieving levels.

“That is, eat a bunch of fibrous carbohydrates and you’ll feel very full for quite some time.” - Fibrous carbs are permitted on keto. As I said, a large part of my diet when doing keto is low-carb vegetables.

“This is why research has shown that it’s easier to overeat on a high-fat diet” - Citation links to a 1995 study with a single author. Nutritional science has advanced a lot in the past 23 years.

" low-carb dieters almost always have more hunger issues than high-carb dieters and struggle more with controlling calorie intake." - This is a lie to peddle his custom meal plans. Check the keto subreddit I linked and see how many people doing it for a couple of weeks struggle with controlling calorie intake and hunger.

“They also usually have problems with low energy levels as well” - One of the most widely reported benefits of keto is the sustained, high energy level once you’ve adapted.

“When you reduce your carbohydrate intake, you reduce the amount of glycogen stored in the muscles. This, in turn, compromises your performance in the gym–you can expect a dramatic reduction in both muscle endurance and strength, which then limits the amount of progressive overload you can subject your muscles to in those workouts. (And less progressive overload in workouts = less muscle growth over time.)” - All true, but dealt with entirely by a targeted ketogenic diet, where you consume a small portion of very high-GI carbs such as dextrose shortly before a workout. For those looking to bulk and doing keto, this is a very common method of achieving it.

“The result was the subjects on the low-carbohydrate diet (which wasn’t all that low, actually—about 226 grams per day, versus 353 grams per day for the high-carbohydrate group) lost more strength, recovered slower, and showed lower levels of protein synthesis.” - Neither of these are in any way low-carb. He’s trying to suggest that lowering carbs further must continue this trend, and he has no data to back it up. He’s comparing two high-carb diets together and forming conclusions about one which uses a completely different metabolic process.

“they first experienced the “keto crash” as the body adjusted to the lack of carbohydrates.” - Keto crash is entirely avoided by consuming adequate electrolyte levels.

“So what this precious low-carb study actually shows us is that a very low-carb (ketogenic) diet is useless for competitive cyclists…and in fact useless for any sport that involves periods of low-intensity and high-intensity activity…or just about every popular sport in the world.” - Again, targeted ketogenic diet deals with these issues, and also again, this thread is about weight loss, not athletes.

“Carbohydrates are primarily energetic–their purpose is to give our cells energy. If you don’t do anything with your body, it doesn’t need very much energy.” - Complete rubbish. The majority of almost everyone’s TDEE comes simply from keeping their cells alive, activity rarely even increases the BMR by more than 70% - at least 1500 calories per day will be burnt by a completely sedentary overweight person, often more. And all macronutrients give energy otherwise you wouldn’t get fat from overconsumption…

And then he goes into a shameless plug of his books to try and sell you stuff…

2 Likes