How do you maintain or improve your shape/body?

Today I just drop out the gym that wasnt using. I can sign up again without problem.

I am thinking in doing some basic routine to start.

20 squats x2
1 minute Abdominal Plank x2
15 push ups x2

I found this article interesting for the exercises. If you have any recommendation I am hearing

1 Like

Most gyms and leisure centres will be happy to show you around and let you try it for the day for free. Every gym has a really different vibe so if itā€™s something you want to consider, itā€™s worth trying out all the ones in your area. Groupon regularly do free day passes to various gyms and fitness clubs too.
Itā€™s also worth looking at what else is around locally - thereā€™s often little independent gyms and fitness classes and all sorts - not just the bigger private and public leisure centres. Some of these smaller independent clubs can be super cheap and really welcoming and friendly. Others are really intimidating and full of hard-core weight-lifters.

What home routine or club you choose, depends on what body shape you want to acheieve as well.
You didnā€™t say whether you want to bulk-up and be super muscley and toned, or whether you simply want to slim down and tone-up. Itā€™s important to know what your goal is and get some expert advice on how best to achieve it.

Edit: my post is in reply to @airiartev, just realised it looks like Iā€™m replying to @PolarisTR but was just picking up on his suggestion re trying out a gym and see if it suits you.

I used to love going to the gym when I was younger but donā€™t have the motivation or energy these days after work. And itā€™s usually packed these days when I make the effort to go and being shattered I ask myself, what the hell am I doing here, Iā€™ll do a bit and do a runner. I donā€™t enjoy it after work but itā€™s not so bad on my day off.
Itā€™s good to go with a mate/training partner though to keep each other motivated and push each other or while spotting them. Brings back memories when I worked in Brum in the 90ā€™s and used a couple of good gyms, Loved the bulking up and forced reps and Joe Weiderā€™s Protein drinks lol.

1 Like

Go in the morning.

Clearly I have no idea of your scheudle, but if youā€™re on the classic 9-5/6 sort of hours then going in the morning is the best option and something that has really helped me get into a routine. It has pros and cons, but for me personally the pros outweigh the cons.

Pros:

• Total control over routine, there is nothing in my morning schedule that can get in the way, which means I can always go
  • Gym is like a desert wasteland - no one is there
  • Turn up to work feeling like a boss
  • Entire evening belongs to me, not going going to the gym (sleep ā†’ commute ā†’ work ā†’ commute ā†’ gym ā†’ dinner ā†’ sleep is not much of a fun routine)

Cons:

• Personally Iā€™m a little weaker in the morning which arguably will limit my progression (but thatā€™s better than not going!)
  • Getting up at 6am is bit tricky sometimes (but hey if you bail on the morning session you can make up for it in the evening, whereas if you bail on the evening session youā€™re done for the day!)

It works for me, might not work for you but hopefully my logic makes some sense!

2 Likes

Ouch Tim :sob:

1 Like

YES !

When I used to work out before work Iā€™d be totally on form mentally and physically all day, from the get-go. You turn up literally bouncing :rofl: Rather than looking like youā€™ve just crawled out of bed and needing 3 coffees before you can string a sentence together.

Your body gets into the habit of the early start and early exercise and begins to crave it. Then it gets way easier to get out of bed and just go

Yeah, the walking up and down 3 flights of stairs every time I want a free filter coffee at work helps with that for me.

Coffee really is the solution to all of lifeā€™s problems, including how to improve the taste of Huel.

4 Likes

Ouch because thatā€™s what you do? I just meant I donā€™t enjoy that personally! You do you, man :facepunch: For me if I have an evening where I can catch up on admin, cook a wicked meal, go to the pub with my friends as well as getting in a session in the morning then I feel pretty badass!

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve even connected to a sentence so much beforeā€¦

2 Likes

My morning coffee contains all my people skills.

6 Likes

My gym opens at 7AM but I also start work then, there is another gym that opens at 6am but donā€™t really fancy going then. I walk between 10-15 miles a day with my job these days which is draining. When I worked shifts previously in a factory I used to go at all times to the gym, 6am-2pm shift I went at 2pm, the 2pm-10pm shift I went in the morning. And the 10pm-6am shift I either went at 6am or in the afternoon after a sleep. I could handle it better then and had more energy plus I loved going which is a huge help.

Haha nah Iā€™m just kidding. I get up 6am, leave for the office at 06:45. Normally get home at 16:30, hence itā€™s the only time of day I get a chance to gym. Iā€™d love to go at 06:00, as you say, best feeling in the world taking on the day after a session!

2 Likes

I agreeā€¦I wake up, have 8 pints of stella and am ready to take on any f***er.

3 Likes

If you already cycle then Iā€™d start by just cycling some more. Take a longer route for your commute or extend it - riding around Regents Park a coupe of times is convenient if you work nearby. Obviously with winter coming - cold/rain etc. that might not sound much fun soā€¦

If you wanted a fairly low cost way to do bike/cardio exercise at home you could buy a turbo trainer for about Ā£100 which you could set your bike up on. This basically gives you an indoor bike but itā€™s more comfortable than the ones you get at the gym. Depending on how much you like it you can then hook up to services like Zwift.com which provides you with a virtual space to ride with / against others. It does cost around Ā£12 p/month and to really get the most out of it youā€™d need a smart trainer which start around the Ā£500 mark.

Failing that look on youtube for the big subscriber fitness channels. There are loads and loads with great home exercise routines. I like Calisthenic Movement https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZIIRX8rkNjVpP-oLMHpeDw

1 Like

Cycling isnā€™t going to improve body shape though, not in the context I think OP means. Unless by cycling you mean sprinting. Cyclists are usually extremely scrawny (no offence cyclistsā€¦).

1 Like

I took it to mean leaner / lower body fat %

If itā€™s a choice between 30 mins additional cycling or 15 push-ups I reckon the cardio would be most helpful though obviously nutrition is key. Everyone looks more muscular the leaner they get. Better nutrition without any exercise is going to improve body shape period. The danger with additional cardio (esp at low intensity) is it makes you hungry so you can end up gaining weight.

I just want to stay healty and fit. Just the basic muscles and maintain the flexibility.

There should be a basic table for this, a maintenance workout routine.

Like this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/

3 Likes

Going to the gym three times per week, full body training. Will start running in the new year.

1 Like

Hmm, thanks, thatā€™s not too bad at all :smile:

Hahaha Iā€™ve just re-found this thread as well @Wendy_Shepherd
I thoroughly enjoyed it (not just the sexy man gif :laughing:)
The earlier part of this thread is class
Top-quality laughs :laughing::laughing:

3 Likes