Huel 100%: 1 Week Challenge

Day 2

Weight: 58.9-59.1kg

Huel Intake:

• 8g instant coffee w Toffee Flavdrops i actually quite like drinking warm coffee and the process of making it! It’s sucks when it gets cold though, and note to self: don’t put too much Flavdrops!
  • 112g Huel, ChocFS
  • 112g NewHuel, cinnamon wasn’t exactly hungry, but it went down pretty fast
  • 3 mint chewing gum (6kcal)
  • 112g Huel, baobab+maca+hemp powder

Exercise: None, just cycling as transport

Challenges:

• Hunger upon waking up, and hunger around 9+am. I’m not used to being hungry in the morning (because I wake up at noon…). It’s easier for me to be hungry at night because I enjoy that sensation and don’t like to go to bed full. Also feels psychologically easier to be able to wake up and weigh myself not chock full of food. I suppose I gotta get used to morning hunger!
  • Saying no to my friends when they went out to lunch at the Indian restaurant :frowning:
  • 5.13pm: I’m not hungry. In fact, I’m pretty satiated. But I can’t help but feel a little peckish…like I just want to eat something. Oh well I’ll just push through this and wait til my next Huel.
  • I’m also having somewhat of a brain fog…don’t know if it’s 100% Huel or?? Q: Any of you experienced/experiencing this?
  • Fear of exceptionality
  • 6.20pm: Lowkey really want savoury roasted vegetables :joy::sob: I just saw a picture on IG and it looked like the most gorgeous bowl ever.
  • 8.17pm: I’m full. BUT I JUST WANT TO ~EAT SOMETHING~ Roasted veggies please???
  • Today has been a hard day. 5 more days to go…

Other observations/comments:

• Sleep: Whoa, this is huge for me. I don’t know if it’s the 100% Huel, but for the first time EVER this year, I slept at 12.30am and got up naturally at 7.30am. This is unheard of for me. I’ve consistently slept at 4am and woken up at noon. I also had a very restful sleep.
  • I wish I had my flask… I want to go to a cafe to do some work after lecture, but have to come back to eat lunch since I like my Huel cold.
  • My stomach felt weird when I was eating my first Huel of the day.
  • Variety: I never knew how important variety was to me until realising I’m gonna be eating nothing but Huel. The same motions, the same texture, not having the thinking process beforehand… I suppose this is both a pro and a con, but yeah it’s odd never realising that even the act of opening a packet of something/searching for snack food had some sort of psychological value. I guess I only feel this way because I came from the starting point of an insane selection of choice, but I’ll get used to Huel and the lack of thought will be godsent.
  • Tired —> Hunger?: I also never realised how I’d reach for sugary treats/food to try to combat tiredness. The whole “ask yourself if you want an :apple: to determine if you’re truly hungry”… so I’m kinda brain fogging and want to reach for food, but I don’t want to reach for Huel because I’m not actually hungry. This experiments great in drawing a clear distinction between physical and psychological hunger! I will now take a nap because that’s what my body needs, not sugar LOL.
  • I’m so tired I missed tap dancing and church…
  • I tried doing some dancing and honestly I’m just half as sing it because I’m so physically tired…I hope it passes.
  • The gas I seem to be producing is rANK! :joy:

Good luck with it all. I was going to do this challenge, but my week is a bit mental, so going to push it till next week.

@Kay HAHAH I see you’ve had a lot of experience with that :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t mind explaining it but sometimes it’s just a chore LOL like omg no I’m not trying to be a gym-junkie (“it’s like a protein shake”) and no I’m not trying to crash diet (“it’s like SlimFast”). Sighhh why is Huel still such a foreign concept :’( Although I must say I’ve been surprised to have met around 4 people who know of it or have already tried it!
Ah that’s cool! I wish I had one of those rn :frowning: My Camelbak is coming on Friday though, and I’ll keep you posted on it!
Thankssssss~

@annacountrybell great to have you on board! :smiley: hmm I woke up a lot earlier than usual today and have been pretty productive, but have not been the most focused/concentrated. Hoping I won’t have an energy crash later again >< keep me updated on your journey! :smiley: Are you planning to do this for a week too?

@alinthea thank you! haha don’t worry, do what you have to and next week is never too late! :slight_smile: let me know how it goes for you!

Hello :slight_smile:

I’ve started 100% Huel today too, mainly for losing weight and also my stomach isn’t good with solid food at the moment! I will be doing this until the the weekend as it’s my birthday/2 year anniversary for me and my fiance, then will be straight back to it next Monday :slight_smile:

Today so far ive had
x1 50g original gf vanilla huel mixed with unsweetened almond milk
x1 50g new gf vanilla huel mixed with unsweetened almond milk

will be having more later tonight ^^ Keeping my cals under 1200 :slight_smile:

@DaisyFlowers23 Hihi! Welcome on board! :slight_smile: How’s it been going for you? Also, is there a reason why you’re keeping your calories under 1200kcal? The 100g of Huel only gives you 400kcal haha. That seems awfully low and it usually isn’t recommended to go below 1200kcal as you mightn’t get sufficient nutrients :confused:

Don’t mean to sound condescending, just a tad concerned! :slight_smile:

So, end of day 1, just having a 2 scoop original with decaffeinated coffee after an hour of belly dancing, I felt hungry when I got home but not hangry which is my usual default mood in the evening before dinner :joy:

So total consumption today, Huel is generally a blend of original vanilla and UU
-2 scoops Huel with 2 small bananas (needed eating, normally just have 1) with a tsp of cocoa powder
-3 scoops Huel with mixed frozen berries. I kept topping the liquid up in this one to eek it out over the whole afternoon
-2 scoops with decaf coffee

+3 americano coffees with milk during the day.

Had a day of figures and spreadsheets and had no concentration problems. Roll on day 2!

1 Like

@jeffy89 I’m just sticking to it until Friday as I can’t stomach any more, I have a problem with my stomach at the moment D: Im due a colonscopy to find out what’s wrong, huel is the only thing I can have at the moment that isn’t making me overly sick or extremely painful bad stomach. But it does hurt still and I’m quite nauseas I have tried drinking more but my stomach isnt having it at the moment! D:
I will be going up once im sorted though :slight_smile: and don’t worry you dont! :slight_smile: x

My calorie calculator said 1200 calorie intake to lose 1lb a week…does this sound normal or it sounds too low of a calorie intake?

@DaisyFlowers23 ahh I see, it’s not intentional xD oh no that sounds so uncomfortable!! Hope everything goes well with the check, and yeah it’s great that you’re trying to get as much nutrition as you can from Huel despite the discomfort! Kudos :slight_smile:

@Jaysea Heya!

1. 1200kcal MAY not be too low: But should be the absolute minimum you consume because below that, it’s almost impossible to get the necessary nutrients (that’s the general consensus if I’m not wrong).
  2. Some people eat below 1200: Only very obese people put on Very Low Calorie Diets, supervised by Doctors.
  3. 1200kcal COULD be too low: Can you give me more information like your height, weight, age and activity level? :slight_smile:

Alternatively, you could use this quite detailed calorie calculator here (recommended by a PT): ExRx.net/Calculators/CalRequire — it breaks down the exact kind of activity, so you’re not guessing it. Hopefully this helps! :smiley:

So it came to 1265. Rounded down to 1200 to account for the things I will add to the drinks, like fruit etc.

1 Like

Hi, I stated on 100% Huel yesterday. I had 5 servings yesterday and 4 so far today. I’m doing 2500 calories/day. Just Huel and water. Hoping to gain a little or at least stay where I’m at weight wise. I was at 165 lbs yesterday. I’m 6’1” so wouldn’t mind weighing closer to 180 lbs.
I’m also hoping that my skin improves. I have sensitivities to lots of foods causing rashes and Rosacia on my face.
So far it’s been easy. No stomach issues. I like the taste, both the vanilla and the unflavored. I even prefer it to be a little bit lumpy. :slight_smile:

Day 3

Lowkey sad Tim&Team don’t see my posts HAHAHAH ok I’m probably just pmsing ignore me
nOTICE ME SENPAI :joy::sob:

ANYWAY. How are you girls getting on! @DaisyFlowers23 @annacountrybell

Daily Update
Weight: 58.6kg I want to say yay but I also don’t want to jinx it. I’m glad I stuck to plan and didn’t binge despite my weight jumping to 59.8kg just last week tho

Huel Intake: (1383kcal)

• 112g Huel, 5g coffee
  • 56g Huel, 5g PB2
  • 60g Huel berry granola so this happened…yes I topped my Huel with Huel granola hehehehe does it count as cheating or is it still 100% Huel? :stuck_out_tongue: + 60ml almond milk
    image!
  • 112g CoffeeHuel, 3g ChocFS

Huel Granola Review:

• I really like it! I think people who don’t mostly don’t because their conception of granola is “sugary oaty crunchy clusters” which I LOVE and can’t stop eating when I start.
  • And so I’m glad that this gives me crunch + picking and grazing BUT it’s so easy to stop since it isn’t addictive like sugary granola.
  • My mouth got SO DRY when eating this which would make sense, since it doesn’t have water like Huel Powder.
  • I downed it awfully quickly haha half the Huel and 30g powder in 10min; was so good and amazing to have some crunch! Will definitely buy again!
  • Taste: Not very sweet, a tinge of salty.
  • Texture: Little crunchy balls, a bit like the Layenberger protein cereal (so I’m already very familiar with it)
    image!

Exercise: 1h Ultimate Frisbee (but it doesn’t really count because I strained my hamstring 2min in :frowning: )

Challenges:

• Was not looking forward to Huel, not because I don’t enjoy it, but because it doesn’t give me the same excitement I’m used to food giving me. The variation, the process of making, opening packets, the barrage of choices… I guess Huel really is Human Fuel.
  • Mentally, having the option to eat both granola and Huel is amazing!

Other observations:

• Sleep: It was so restful! Whoa.
  • Feeling really bloated…not sure if PMS or Huel :thinking:
  • It’s quite effortless to not really crave food after my Huel haha it’s been more than an hour and I haven’t noticed it. I mean, mindlessly snacking on sweets isn’t an option anyways so.
  • Weight Loss: For the first time, I actually believe I have a shot at doing this right. Am I scared? Hell yes. I’m scared that I’m an exception, that my body does actually break physics, that I simply can’t lose weight. But I won’t know til I try. And for the first time, I feel pretty emotion-neutral towards the number on the scale. I’m seeing it as data. I try to see the trend. I don’t place as much emphasis on daily fluctuations to determine my self worth or intake for that day. I understand that consistency is key.
  • Learning how to eat healthily and to suit your needs is something no one can EVER take from you.
  • Huel 100% is the most unscientific experiment ever :stuck_out_tongue: Not in a bad way, but so many variables are unconsciously changed (which is actually really great because then it doesn’t sound like so many daunting “rules”. Imagine if we were to try to stuck to the list below with regular food prep!)
  1. Vegan
  2. Gluten-free
  3. High fibre
  4. 40-30-30 macro split
  5. Controlled calories and portions + IF for me
  6. Eating every 3 hours
  7. Liquid diet
  8. No sugar, but sweetener
  9. Counting macros
  10. Having 1 snack
  • I haven’t had issues with hunger at all nor cravings for other food, but I must say I haven’t been very energetic.
  • 1.30am: Started getting hungry, found myself scrolling through food on IG

@Tzinsli HELLO!! Glad you’re doing well and great to have you on board with us! :slight_smile: I really like the lumps too HAHA sometimes I get sad when I shake it too well xD Keep us posted!

Day 2
Woke up with so much energy, it was like I was on a massive sugar high! Weighed myself this morning, 6lbs down since last Monday! And that is with a weekend of drinking and BBQ, although lots of hiking so it obviously balanced out!

Had a meeting with a cake company this morning, they gave me a whole box of cakes :tired_face:, yesterday’s meeting I was given a box of doughnuts and sweet pastries, I couldn’t even bring myself to smell them :worried:

Huel so far today:

• 2 scoops with a banana and cocoa
  • Just started my lunchtime 3 scoop with berries.

Confession: I may have eaten 4 blueberries this morning that my daughter didn’t want… Does that count as cheating? I’d blend them into my Huel on other occasions… It did feel really good to chew! :roll_eyes:

How is everyone finding having every meal sweet? I find myself craving just like plain bread, or some miso soup…

@Tzinsli my skin has really improved since increasing my Huel intake 3 weeks ago, so soft! I guess it’s like having a multivitamin at every meal.

1 Like

@jeffy89 Granola can’t possibly count as cheating, it’s Huel! Also, you don’t have to think of it as cheating, because while I appreciate you want to do a whole week with only Huel, if you actually fancy a nibble of something else it would suck to beat yourself up about it.

1 Like

Tomorrow evening will be my 1st week of 100% huel
Dental surgery helped me choose my start date !

1 Like

@annacountrybell wow 6lbs? that’s amazing! Glad to hear you’re feeling energetic, I’m hoping that comes soon for me xD But then again I HAD been eating way too many sweets before starting so that’s probably why. Oh myyyyyyyy kudos for your willpower! That must’ve been absolute torture :open_mouth:

HAHA ah well I mean we blend things into Huel anyway xD like my PB2…I took a taste before shaking it with Huel but whatever we’re still 98% Huel :smiley: Yeah, I quite craved a texture change from Huel: my Huel granola arrived in the mail today and it may have just solved all my problems (I’m just gonna count it as part of Huel 100% LOL)! Have you tried it too?

Ugh yes I was craving roasted veggies so bad yesterday it was insane. But somehow it’s a lot easier today :smiley: It’ll actually be interesting to see & document what we crave (psychologically, since it’s nutritionally complete ) while having 100% Huel haha

Day 4

Sleep was great again! Huel miracles.
In other news, my Camelbak finally arrived!!! And so I was able to take it with me to study in a cafe YAY.

Weight: 58.8kg

Huel Intake: (1358kcal)

• 1/2 PB2 Huel w added water + 60g Huel granola
  • 112g CoffeeHuel, Jordan’s SF Syrup idk it didn’t taste bad but didn’t taste good either…perhaps I gotta get the proportions right?
  • 112g Huel, PB Flavdrops I liked this! Didn’t taste overly peanutty, but didn’t taste artificial as I expected it to

Challenges:

• Friends asked if I was getting food when we ate together in the market square, I explained I was doing a smoothie challenge for a week and seeing if I sleep better. Was a bit odd but it worked I guess xD
  • Not as challenging as it was on Day 2, and Huel granola has worked wonders for my psyche too.
  • Friend: LOL I think my Friend may be slightly concerned…at least his facial expression seemed to express it, because I’ve consistently not eaten at least 5 times I’ve been out with the same bunch in the last 2 weeks (Gardies x2, Aromi x1, Market Sq x2, then rejected Mee&I just now…) and he was like “you’re going back to eat in college later right?”

Other observations:

• 6pm: I’ve been sipping my afternoon Huel, and I’m SO FULL omg. Thirsty? Water. Hungry? Huel. Doesn’t get much more complex than that.
  • Still kinda brain fogging but I don’t know if it’s the Huel, especially since it helps me get such good rest! Or is it just making me exhausted…?
  • Being satiated: I was walking around Sains and didn’t feel inclined to buy anything. Went to my guy’s room where he offered me pizza and chocolate and I honestly didn’t feel the urge to eat it haha love it when no self control is required.
  • Have been so full I honestly can’t believe I’ve had less than 1400kcal.
  • (TMI) Bowel Movements: I’ve had half a mind to write this under “challenges”. Because holy shitpile, that was exactly what it was. Just spent half an hour in pain and struggling in the toilet…that was not fun.

@DaisyFlowers23 @annacountrybell @Tzinsli @Dln1965 how are you guys coming along? :slight_smile:

I’m doing great so far! Finished off about a bag and 1/2 so far in just 4 days. 5500 calories per day. I’m now doing 4 drinks a day, 4 scoops per drink. No wt loss or gain. Hoping to gain a bit.
Already my skin is less blotchy. Sleeping great but that’s never really been an issue. I’d like to go running to test my energy levels but it’s 103 degrees Fahrenheit here in Arizona right now. 39.4 Celsius
I haven’t really been drinking any extra water other than what I use to mix the Huel. Already that’s more than I’m use to drinking.
Bathroom… no problem, it’s kind of been coming out looking the same as it does going in. Not sure if that’s good or bad. Lol

Keep up the great work
As for me … all good :+1:
Weigh in after my shower very shortly …
100% huel for a week :+1:
Plus gym and cycling … should be doing me good?
However I really wanted a salted caramel cookie last night … so I bought a pack for the family and because of dental surgery, I could only smell the bag ! Mmmmmmm

5500 cal per day ???

How much cardio do you do to burn that off ??

1 Like