Huel 2.2 - texture

Fellow newbie here, and I also love the texture! I also like the taste, once it’s been mixed with cocoa powder or something similar :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Strangely enough, I mixed it with some almond milk and didn’t like the texture anymore: the almond milk seemed to make the Huel stick to itself and to nothing else, and made it into a bit of a gloopy mass, hard to drink out of the bottle. Sticking with water to mix it now!

1 Like

My 2P worth having had 2.2 for a few weeks now.

It tastes/feels a bit different from 2.1, but no more so than 2.1 was from the previous.

I just have to mix it *much * better. 2.1 could get away with 15 seconds of shaking. With 2.2 I have a new regime:

Half the usual water + metal mixer ball in the usual Huel mixer.
Add Huel on top of water. Shake for 30 secs.
Fill up with rest of the water (I like it wet - 700ml to 3 scoops)
Shake again until exhaustion.
Enjoy!

Yes, it ‘feels’ a bit different. More likely to have several very small lumps rather than one or two big lumps. But shake shake shake and it’s perfectly enjoyable afterwards…

I augment with espresso and a secret mix of spices, so maybe Im less prone to changes in the base Huel’s flavour between versions? Make it your own!

YMMV but after a lot of FEAR about my first 2.2, I’m all good now.

1 Like

Just before you posted I added metal mixer to my shaker and it’s much better, that’s a great tip!

Now there’s the issue of taste… :slight_smile:

Just some quick thoughts as I’m on my first breakfast using 2.2, mix is definitely a little thicker, with my mix it’s like the difference between single and double cream, not something I have a problem with at present and the added creaminess is good.

for those that are interested I’m using:
1 scoop 2.2 vanilla
1 scoop 2.1 U/U
500ml water
1 tbsp cocoa powder

all mixed with a good blender and left overnight in the fridge. previously I was on the exact same mix but using 2,1 vanilla. at my current rate to consumption it will be a while before I get through my 2.1 U/U and can post any thoughts on the thickness of 2.2. U/U

1 Like

I’m so disappointed! Huel 2.2 is much worse for me. Both by taste and thickness (thicker!). I was never a fan of Huel thickness and texture compared to other powder foods and now it is even worse (I was buying it cause of ingredients) :frowning: Not sure if I’ll buy it again. I hope that guys from Huel will change something.

Have the results from the external viscosity testing come back?
Is there any hope for those of us who stopped Hueling because we found 2.2 unconsumably gloopy and lumpy compared to 2.1?
Do you still advocate 1/5 ratio with all varieties when nothing else is added (no oil or fruit etc)?
I miss my carefree 2.1 days!

1 Like

Just tried US 1.0 and compared to EU 2.2 it’s easier to mix, yield fewer lumps, and doesn’t have that gelatine aftertaste I sense in 2.2.

I really don’t see the problem with 2.2. I’ve been on Huel now for well over a year and I haven’t seen any difference in taste or texture since the earlier versions. I always use a blender however and keep in fridge overnight. Perhaps the blender really helps

2 Likes

Got my 4 bags of 2.2 glutenfree vanilla last week and I have to say that I really do not like the new texture. Way to thick and really unappetizing. :frowning:

Hi @cryurchin - I have not seen this before. We’d be interested in more information on this - do you have the batch number please?
How did you mix this?

No news yet on viscosity testing, sorry for the delay.

Has 2.2 been tweaked with no change to version number? Latest batch of UU appears more yellow and tastes a bit different than the previous couple of bags.

Personally I have no problem with the texture. I use a wire ball in the shaker and it mixes fine.

500ml water, 100g vanilla huel, nutribullet mix for 20 seconds and it’s just right. No lumps at all, thin enough to drink through straw (although I don’t). Added a shot of nespresso in my lunch and strawberry flavour sample for dinner. I’d say the coffee one was the best. Out the packet vanilla was not as sweet as I’d expected but nevertheless, I find it’s spot on.

1 Like

Vanilla 2.2 = Gelatinous, slimy texture with little slimy balls. Awful.

I’d been using 2.1 for 8 months with no issue. I use the supplied Bucksteiner and shake by hand as I use it during the day whilst working in many different locations so a blender is impractical. Method:
400ml water in
125g of Huel in
Blender ball in
Grid in
Top on
Shake like f*ck for 20 sec
Top-up with 200ml water + shake again

I still don’t have a scientific evidence based justification from Huel as to why they changed from Carrageenan.

I also seem to be one of the few that finds the taste and texture of 2.2 just right. Like @Threepoint2, I also find it “spot on”. I use the 5:1 ratio (500ml water to 100g of Huel) and the result I get (using a blender), is also thin enough to drink through a straw (if you so wish). I also make up a 5:1 mixture using a blender, then pour it into a 1 litre Huell shaker, put it in the fridge and consume it the next day (approx. 18hrs to 24 hrs later). When I take it from the fridge, I shake it in the Huel Shaker for about 20 seconds, and there are no lumps (even after being left in the fridge overnight), and the consistency is still thin enough to drink through a straw. I haven’t had any of the issues that others seem to have had. For me, the taste and texture of 2.2 is perfect. .

2 Likes

After reading this thread again, it appears the main difference with people that are happy vs those that are not is the people using the supplied shaker and actually shaking the mixture vs those who blend it and/or leave it overnight. Is that a reasonable summary?

Short version, using the shaker to make it up on the spot, e.g. for those at work, is no longer anywhere near as nice and is much lumpier than 2.1 was. The mixer balls help quite a bit, but it’s still got quite a few lumps in the bottom every time I make the stuff up.

(Oddly, this is now making me look for battery powered stick blenders!)

1 Like

As a new Hueler I can’t compare against the other versions. But I think the texture is fine. It is what I would expect from a powder that is not highly processed (i’d hope) and has everything you need in it. I have a Protein Works meal replacement that is a really thin texture but it would be because the ingredients are few, and very processed.

I use 3 scoops with ~600 of water in the Huel Mixmaster. I follow the instructions in the book and add 400ml water first, then add the scoops and shake for 10 seconds, then I add 200ml water extra (book says 170ml but I found I was getting balls of powder left over.) then shake again for 10 seconds.

When I’m finished I add 200ml of water and shake to get the leftover mix.

Yeah, I agree with you @insanityinside, using the blender to prepare the mixture does seem to make a huge difference to the final result, as opposed to just using the Shaker.

2 Likes

You shake your Huel for a total of 20 minutes?

I shake mine for a minute tops - about 40 seconds, top up a bit of liquid then another 15 seconds…and it is perfect. I don’t use the Huel branded shaker as I prefer a steel one…but even so 20 minutes seems excessive.

When I first used Huel, I mixed it in a blender and enjoyed it, then one day I didn’t have a blender nearby so used shaker, and I’ve never blended it again since (unless I’m adding fruit which isn’t that often).

1 Like

Hahaha I meant to type seconds. I’ve edited it now so I don’t look stupid!

1 Like