Huel 2.2 - texture

So for today’s Huel, I put the shaker in the freezer with a little water in the bottom to make ice.
Once frozen I then poured in my almond milk and added my usual 2 scoops of Huel, gave it a shake and hey presto it works ! It’s drinkable right away with a nice silky smooth texture.
Give that vegetable a gold star :+1:

1 Like

That’s great, really glad you’ve found something that works for you.

1 Like

I just wanted to add to comments here regarding version 2.2 - I just had my first one of these and find the texture awful - gloopy, mushy, no grains - it’s extremely disappointing as I really liked the last version. I would be the first to vote for a change back, or to anything other than this version. I really believe this is a strong risk to the future success and appeal of this great company + product, which I’m sure we all want to see continue.

1 Like

I’ve only just started on the v2.2 as I had a lot of v2.1 to go through, but I’m really struggling to see what people are complaining about. There appears to be very little difference between the two. I am 100% Huel Monday to Friday and 80% at the weekend.
I have always made my Huel somewhere between Milkshake and Thick-Shake consistency, with the thicker the better (It’s a food!).
I live in hotels four days a week, but each morning I wake up, make up 2 large (700ml) Huels and a small (350ml) Huel if I’m going for a run in the evening. I use a NutriBullet 600 (I’ve never had any success with manual shaking). I take all the Huel to work where it goes in the fridge, and at the end of the day I take the one remaining Huel back to the hotel for my evening meal. Where required I’ll snack on a Huel bar, but as I’m supposed to be losing weight, I keep these to a minimum.

4 Likes

Anything past the point of the thickness of milk, and I’ll gag. Regardless of whether or not it’s a soylent, yoghurt, milkshake or smoothie. Not everyone can tolerate every mouthfeel.

In order to get Huel to become like this, I’d have to go 700ml or more per 100g. That puts me at 3500ml a day. At which point I’m out.

It used to be about as thick as milk, even at lower volumes of water, say 350-400mil per 100g. It used to be a drink. Now it’s a drink with artificially increased thickness. Basically it’s the same nutrition as it’s always been, give or take a few micro-details, but they’ve thrown in a sheaf of gelatin.

Would you drink it if if came with a slightly lower satiety, but half the volume?

1 Like

I’m not complaining - just making an observation, and stating that I far preferred the texture, thickness and easy mixing of v2.1. Part of the attraction of v2.1 was that I could mix it in the shaker (I don’t own, nor do I want to use, a nutri bullet) with an amount of liquid that resulted in good flavour, no lumps, and - after sitting in the fridge overnight - perfect thickness and no chlorine flavour from our water supply. I’m not saying that v2.2 is an inferior product, but for me personally it doesn’t work as well as the previous version.

1 Like

I believe I follow the instructions correctly but I’ve now started to get lumps on my shake.

Hi Guys,

Dont know if this wil lhelp anyone else, and im too busy to do a comparison test, but usually i do this

Make - Shake - Drink

Withthe newest verison I have had the lumpy issues many others have reported

Today Just as i was aobut to drink it when my sister rang, SO about 5 - 10 mins later I finally got to drink it and it was fine.

So im wondering if its just that for some unknown reason this new forumla can in some situaitons just take a bit longer to mix / dissolve into the water

I personally don’t notice much difference between 2.2 and earlier versions.

Getting a product that has such a high protein/fat content to disperse easily in a relatively small amount of water isn’t an easy task. Fortunately I don’t mind lumps as long as they’re big enough to get out of the spout.

Or small enough…

1 Like

This worked before.

I take it you didn’t try the 1.2 UU Huel.

It dispersed fine, and was about as thick as milk. Less, if you went up to 500mil.

Like a protein shake.

The current thickness is deliberate.

^^^ What she said! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I gotta ask, is anyone else having this problem? This batch is unmixable (these Huel balls will not break up with shaking. Chewing them was…tough. Taste is just Huel, but concentrated). Unflavoured 2.2. I can shake and enjoy about 90% of my normal Huel meal, but these are always left (if it’s an ingredient making them form I’m not keen to abandon them as I’d be missing out on something nutritious!)

I can just about consume my 4 scoops in with the shaker, and filling it up to the brim with water, has a consistency like pva glue though so I have to suck it out of the lid.

When I blend my 3 scoops and 600ml bottles, no issues whatsoever with the texture, however I can no longer rinse the blades like I used to as the huel has become really sticky and so I use a toothbrush to clean it now. No problem :slight_smile:

I was expecting a lot worse, it’s not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

I’ll bet hard cash that that ingredient is Xanthan and Guar Gum. A nutrient rich kind of rubber that we all require daily…

Nice pic.

1 Like

Definitely not the xanthan gum, as that only acts as a thickener (which prevents settling like you see in other products such as Joylent/JimmyJoy). Guar gum should, in theory, do the same. Xanthan gum also has demonstrated anti-tumour properties and, as a soluble fibre, aids digestion (as does guar gum), so calling it a rubber is a bit counter-intuitive.

In actuality, it’s not going to be one ingredient causing the issue, it’s going to be an interaction.

Agreed. Today the same weird smooth balls formed again so I took out the mesh, added a bit more water, and shook again - the mesh does really seem to stop them breaking down weirdly. I may roll mesh-less…

I’ve been trying to stomach 2.2 for the last two weeks… And it’s really hard.

Compared to 2.1 (Vanilla):

• virtually impossible to shake it well using just a shaker,
  • terrible taste, has this weird gum-like after taste.

The only way for me to have it to add some fruit - adding flavours doesn’t help at all.

And I’m stuck with 8 bags, meh

Ah, as a newbie myself (but not a novice with fitness shakes etc) I’ve found the texture to be perfect. In fact, I sometimes add less water to make it just that bit thicker - but I guess it’s down to preference.

I’m a week in now and love it.

2 Likes